Bell Green Gas Holders

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
syenhamboy

Bell Green Gas Holders

Post by syenhamboy »

Hello

As part of the project to demolish the Bell Green gas holders we are currently in the process of cleaning the gas holder tanks. Cleaning these tanks can generate odours in and around the area, however although these odours can be unpleasant, they do not pose any risk to health or the environment.

To alleviate some of the potentially unpleasant odours from the site, we have installed an odour suppression system. We will continue to monitor the odour levels in the area, along with all noise, odour and dust levels and will take any additional steps to mitigate as necessary.

Thank you for your patience.

SGN
Message Sent By
Ben Tarrant-Lewis (SGN, Incident Support, National)
Betts

Re: Bell Green Gas Holders

Post by Betts »

Do we have any idea of the timeframe for demolition?
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

I noticed today that they are in the process of removing the tanks.
Sideofham

Post by Sideofham »

syenhamboy wrote: 23 May 2019 09:46 Hello

As part of the project to demolish the Bell Green gas holders we are currently in the process of cleaning the gas holder tanks. Cleaning these tanks can generate odours in and around the area, however although these odours can be unpleasant, they do not pose any risk to health or the environment.

To alleviate some of the potentially unpleasant odours from the site, we have installed an odour suppression system. We will continue to monitor the odour levels in the area, along with all noise, odour and dust levels and will take any additional steps to mitigate as necessary.

Thank you for your patience.

SGN
Message Sent By
Ben Tarrant-Lewis (SGN, Incident Support, National)
I've heard talk of a gypsy curse on those gasometers. It's said that if they're ever demolished a terrible god forsaken stench will linger in the area for 101 years (don't ask me why it's 101 years and not 100, think it might be to do with the gypsy who set the curse not liking even numbers) . The "odour" folk can smell in the area now is just the beginning. Nothing good is gonna come from all this tampering, NOTHING I tells ya!!!