Painted Zebras

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Capital Idea Limited

Zebra crossing solution.

Post by Capital Idea Limited »

Kia ora from Wellington, the Capital of New Zealand.

Capital Idea Ltd is a fledgling company involved in enhancing living environments.

In this instance, an urban design, planning and code of conduct issue can be addressed.

The problem of a traditional zebra crossing on the brow of a hill can be solved by supplementing it with a stencil of a zebra on the road leading up to it.

Capital Idea's zebra is a public art work designed to fill the gap between an open road and an official zebra crossing. It is intended to be used to heighten driver / pedestrian awareness. I.e. it suggests to drivers "hey pedestrians are especially important (or there are lots of 'em) around here" and to pedestrians "This is a reasonable place to cross with care."

Single zebras can be stencilled on one lane approaching a crossing area
(akin to the zig zags on an official zebra but with more lead time.)

Alternatively a pair of zebras can be stencilled together accross a two way road, each eyeballing the oncoming traffic.

In an area where a different transport heirachy is required a herd of zebras can be produced indicating a slow zone, e.g. around the edges of a pedestrian precinct / town square.

If you are interested in having a better look into this there is a photo of my first zebra at http://www.wellingtonwoodworks.com/?Services

Please let me know if you wish to use this initiative.

Yours , Alexander.