Incident at the bottom of Westwood Hill

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
El Cid

Incident at the bottom of Westwood Hill

Post by El Cid »

There's been some sort of incident or accident at the bottom of Westwood Hill. When I was taking my son to school this morning at around 8.30, the police had taped off the road between Laurie Park Road and Hall Drive. I could see a motorbike lying on the road near the Hall Drive junction. I counted six police cars and vans, which seems rather a lot.
Parker1970

Re: Incident at the bottom of Westwood Hill

Post by Parker1970 »

There was also a un-marked police car with a senior looking person that arrived around 07:35am so it would appear to be a very serious incident or one that involved a police vehicle requiring a full incident response.

Must have happened around 7am
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

https://newsfromcrystalpalace.wordpress ... re-routed/
Police were called by the London Ambulance Service at around 06:00hrs today (Wednesday, 26 June) to reports of a male injured on Westwood Hill, Sydenham.

The male, believed to be in his teens, came off his motorcycle and suffered injuries.

He was taken to hospital where his injuries have been deemed potentially life threatening, said a Scotland Yard spokesperson. His next of kin have been informed. Enquiries continue.

At 9.30 am bus routes 450 and 122 were being rerouted via Crystal Palace Park Road and Lawrie Park Road in both directions.
rustya

Post by rustya »

If he caused the injuries himself, we are all better off without idiots like this on the road.

Countless times I've almost been run over at the zebra crossing before westwood hill, and i've seen lots of motorbikes and cars speed off up Westwood hill, and not look at the immediate road, and instead look at the horizon.
As a consequence anyone crossing on the zebra crossing is almost run over.

Frankly I don't care for his well being, and let the left wingers out there take me on for my alternate views.
Holaquease

Post by Holaquease »

rustya wrote: 26 Jun 2019 20:28 If he caused the injuries himself, we are all better off without idiots like this on the road.

Countless times I've almost been run over at the zebra crossing before westwood hill, and i've seen lots of motorbikes and cars speed off up Westwood hill, and not look at the immediate road, and instead look at the horizon.
As a consequence anyone crossing on the zebra crossing is almost run over.

Frankly I don't care for his well being, and let the left wingers out there take me on for my alternate views.
You have no idea what happened. You've invented a little story in your head and then you've got angry about it.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

rustya wrote: 26 Jun 2019 20:28 If he caused the injuries himself, we are all better off without idiots like this on the road.

"IF" being the key word. We don't know the facts. Whislt I have also seen motor bikes zooming down the street blowing their horn to get people out of the way, we don't know if this guy was one of those people. It's easy to tar everyone with the same brush, just as I could say the same about the amount of pedestrians that walk into the road reading their mobile phone without looking, it doesn't mean pedestrians are always at fault any more than this motorcyclist is.

6am in the morning and a "teen" motorcyclist does have a certain ring to it, but it would be unfair to assume it the truth.
John H

Post by John H »

Quite... We none of us know the facts. The fact that a teenager is fighting for his life should invoke some sort of sympathetic response rather than a red-neck condemnation.

Whether it was his fault or not... he is facing his maker. What if it were a member of your family Rustya?

The scandal is the failure of the authorities properly to test motorcyclists and then to fail to enforce the laws that apply to them. However, as already said, we do not know the facts.
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

Please don't speculate or condemn- especially not before the true facts are known. Such reaction can only cause anguish to any of the victim's family or friends who may read this forum, or have the contents passed to them.

I speak from bitter experience, having experienced similar reaction when my elder son died in a bicycle incident. He was found to be completely blameless by the Coroner, who laid the blame categorically on the Council in question and its infrastructure and signage around the scene, which has now been changed as a direct result.

So please show a little reticence and respect for this boy, his family and friends.
rustya

Post by rustya »

Let's expect the council to enact/enforce changes after this incident, despite numerous warnings prior to this incident happening.
I stand by the words earlier that I posted earlier. I don't expect to be proven wrong.