Helicopter last night

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
gillyjp

Helicopter last night

Post by gillyjp »

Anyone also woken up by what must have been a police helicopter circling overhead locally for what seemed ages? I gave up trying to go back to sleep in the end.

Anybody know what it was all about?
maestro

Re: Helicopter last night

Post by maestro »

Yes I heard it too but it would only be there if a major crime has been committed, so as inconvenient as it is, they're doing a very important job and fortunately it doesn't happen too often. Much more disturbing during hot weather when you need to have windows open, are those morons on quad bikes and motor bikes with no exhausts who scream around the deserted roads in the early hours of the morning at high speed in what is clearly a deliberate act to awaken everyone.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- ... l-vehicles

These devices are currently on trial, is there anyone we can lobby to ensure they come to Sydenham?
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Yes I'm sure something serious was going on. I wasn't complaining about being woken up as I regard police involvement is necessary to protect the majority of law abiding people. Just curious as to what was going on, since it did carry on for a while.
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

Woke me up as well, soon after 3.30 am
alywin

Post by alywin »

My first thought is always the air ambulance. I don't know what it was, but it was certainly going on for quite some time.
DanW

Post by DanW »

alywin wrote: 30 Aug 2019 22:49 My first thought is always the air ambulance. I don't know what it was, but it was certainly going on for quite some time.
The London air ambulance isn't allowed to fly at night, they have to switch to their rapid response car after sunset.