Guided walk - Saturday 28th. Challenging!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Ian Bull

Guided walk - Saturday 28th. Challenging!

Post by Ian Bull »

Hullo!

Do you like walking? Have you seen those 'Green Chain Walk' signposts? Ever wondered where the Green Chain Walk goes to?

If so, there's a rather special 21 mile guided walk this Saturday 28th September and members of 'Sydenham Town' and the other local forums helped to initiate the event in 2007. As always, the route is Crystal Palace to Erith via Shooters Hill.

This is the 14th annual 'Green Chain Megawalk' which I devised for the South East London Boroughs. It was adopted by TfL's 'Walk London' project in 2008. As Walk London are in abeyance until possibly next year and the walk is too enjoyable to miss I'm offering it off-my-own-bat this year.

The walk requires average walking pace for the first 13 miles and cannot be slower, it slows-up a bit after that so that we can appreciate the superb scenery. Many who've joined with only the first few miles in-mind have found themselves finishing. Very few haven't made it to the end as the camaraderie and unfolding landscape keeps enthusiasm raised.

The details are below and you and friends are most welcome.

==========

* No need to register, just turn up. BUT... I'd be very happy to hear that you're attending in advance. Just reply to this topic and say so.

* Meet outside Crystal Palace railway station at 09.15, Saturday 28th September.

* Finish by the Thames at Erith at 18.30 (6.30pm).

* A packed lunch is essential.

* You must be able to maintain average walking pace for 13 miles, that's 3mph. There are breaks!

* The walk is steep in parts after lunch.

* The weather forecast is currently very good, no rain.

* You may join or leave at any point and there is excellent public transport throughout.

* We will not finish late!

* You participate at your own risk and are expected to be mindful of your own well-being.

Plenty of trains will be running from Erith for our return home.

This is not a TfL/Walk London event. I am offering my services voluntarily although I will accept contributions towards my expenses and time should you wish to make any.

==========

This is London's longest established long-distance guided walk and over the years many people, certainly dozens, from Sydenham have attended. As above, it was through the local forums that this really got off the ground.

The walk retains its popularity by passing through the Capital's finest landscape, unquestionably its finest woodland, and offers wonderful views over London and Kent later stretching right out into the Thames Estuary and over Essex. In the walk's 21 miles no less than 63% is off-road, increasing to 72% for the section after lunch. Remarkable and unsurpassed figures for a London walk of that length. The Green Chain footpath links together 4,500 acres of undeveloped land in South East London and this walk carefully balances distance and gradient to allow an excellent introduction to that outstanding resource.

I look forward to seeing you on the 28th and please do contact me if you'd like any further details.

All the best

Ian

IAN BULL
020 7223 3572