PX56 GFV Car Thieves' registration number

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
marymck

PX56 GFV Car Thieves' registration number

Post by marymck »

Have just (1.10 pm today Mon 7th Oct) caught catalytic converter thieves in the act of jacking up my car, which had been parked in Hassocks Close. We caught them and the drove off but have broken the catalytic converter and done God knows what other damage.

The little shits were driving a pale blue Vauxhall registration number PX56 GFV. They drove off at considerable speed up Kirkdale towards Sydenham Hill or Thorpewood Avenue.
stuart

Re: PX56 GFV Car Thieves' registration number

Post by stuart »

Checking here: https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ PX56 GFV is indeed a blue Vauxhall taxed and MOTed. Surely they wouldn't be so silly as to use their own car? But who can tell. But don't be surprised if it is stolen or re-plated.

Guess you have the police on the job. They may appreciate a visual sighting - otherwise they have to work from the other end - find out where the palladium is fenced.

Commiserations on the disruption and expense their vandalism will cause you.

Stuart
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

Some friends had their Prius catalytic converter stolen at lunchtime in Sainsbury's car park at Forest Hill in August. The police weren't much help as it is such a common crime now. And to make matters worse my friends are still waiting for a replacement part.
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

It's great you got a number plate, hoping the police follow this up.

Ours was stolen in Silverdale about 6 weeks ago.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Got a call from my daughter in Forest Hill today to say her catalytic converter had been nicked. 2004 Honda Jazz so the insurance company doesn't want to pay for replacement - but write it off. Given its low mileage and was ULEZ compliant and they have invested every penny in a house move so they can start a family - this is kind of disasterous as hubby has to have a car for his job.

Disaster is, perhaps, too strong. Forest Hill isn't Syria or Libya ... and the Bank of Mum & Dad can be raided as a last resort. But it's still a bu**er!

Stuart
DanW

Post by DanW »

stuart wrote: 9 Oct 2019 18:36 Got a call from my daughter in Forest Hill today to say her catalytic converter had been nicked. 2004 Honda Jazz so the insurance company doesn't want to pay for replacement - but write it off. Given its low mileage and was ULEZ compliant and they have invested every penny in a house move so they can start a family - this is kind of disasterous as hubby has to have a car for his job.

Disaster is, perhaps, too strong. Forest Hill isn't Syria or Libya ... and the Bank of Mum & Dad can be raided as a last resort. But it's still a bu**er!

Stuart
Stuart, they can ask the insurance company if to buy the write off back, will likely be very cheap; and buy a new cat with the pay out. It's an economic write off for the insurer - so is completely road legal when the new part is fitted, but your daughter could buy a cheaper replacement part than the insurer.

Dan
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Increasing number of thefts of this type being reported on a lot of media.

My neighbour's car was "done" a few weeks ago.

Is there a valid defence if you accidentally run over the b*ggers legs as they stick out from the car they are stealing from?

Anyone?
stuart

Post by stuart »

JGD wrote: 11 Oct 2019 10:24Is there a valid defence if you accidentally run over the b*ggers legs as they stick out from the car they are stealing from?
If one factors in the cost to the NHS - then no. Merely removing shoes and socks* should give them a suficiently painful and embarrasing memory of their failed exploit as they tiptoe their way home.

*Trousers and pants are optional but I doubt many of the ladies here present would be too impressed.

Stuart
marymck

Post by marymck »

Sorry to hear about your daughter's car, Stuart. Mine is an 06 Jazz. Three years ago, during my first and last ever Hellfords service they told me that my catalytic converter had "reached the end of its natural lifespan" as "they only last a few years" and it needed replacing, along with the rest of the exhaust. I later found out this was rubbish. Honda cats have a lifetime guarantee, unless they get abused or damaged by being bashed or driving through flood water when they're very hot.

Hellfords replaced my Honda cat with an after market copy. Two months later the engine warning light came on. That had never happened before and the car had until then always sailed through emissions tests. Hellfords replaced the cat with yet another after market one. It didn't work. Then they did the lambda 02 sensors - twice. Two months later - engine warning light again.

I ended up back at Honda, where Honda sensors and cat were fitted. The bill was >1200 incl VAT.

Some after market cats seem to work on Jazzes and my insurance company say the work is guaranteed for 3 years so we will see.

Because my husband interrupted the oiks my cat was still on the car but the rear section of the exhaust was damaged beyond repair. I'm waiting for the garage to be able to get it into the worksop to test the cat, which could have been damaged.

Cat aside: they snapped the sensors. There's a 6-8 week wait list for them.

The garage is in Croydon and have about 30 cars that have had their cats stolen all queuing for parts.

Oh and the call I was promised from the police "within 48 hours"? It didn't happen.