Southeastern trains - how are they?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
damzel

Southeastern trains - how are they?

Post by damzel »

Hello! I'm considering moving to Sydenham but wanted to check the reliability of the Southeastern route from Sydenham Hill to Herne Hill, as my daughter would need it to get to school (Charter North Dulwich). She'd probably get the 7:49 or 8:03. My main worry is that perhaps they are regularly late or even cancelled, or they are very packed so she won't be able to get on - a packed train might freak her out a bit, she's in Y7 and has been walking to school so far.

Appreciate any advice - thanks!
HappySyd

Re: Southeastern trains - how are they?

Post by HappySyd »

They are generally very good in my opinion. Your daughter shouldn’t have a problem getting on one. Good luck with the move.
damzel

Post by damzel »

That's good to hear! Thanks
alywin

Post by alywin »

There are probably quite a few boys going to Dulwich College on those trains, too! I think there are 3 from Penge East between about 7.30 and 7.45, but haven't checked since the timetable changed in December. They may not stop at all stations, though. I think the service is generally quite good, although I don't actually commute myself, so possibly others may know differently.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Here is an independent site that will provide an historic analysis of train departures and arrivals for all trains between two stations.

https://raildar.co.uk/

You need to register. registration is quick and its personal use is free.

So for your proposed route Sydenham Hill to Herne Hil, use "Train History" and "Period Trains", select a month and you will be shown every train arrival and departure for the selected station in that period.

It provides a real record of reliability and is NOT linked to TOC's declared performance figures.

Overly distrustful employers use this to check travel patterns of commuters who use "train problems" as a reason for lateness and the like.
damzel

Post by damzel »

Amazing! Just what I needed - thanks :)
GRP

Post by GRP »

JGD wrote: 19 Feb 2020 09:23 Overly distrustful employers use this to check travel patterns of commuters who use "train problems" as a reason for lateness and the like.
Very interesting - thanks for the link.

You are a mine of information JGD. Can I borrow you for a pub quiz sometime?
alywin

Post by alywin »

Thank you, JGD - I knew about realtimetrains, but not this one.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

GRP wrote: 20 Feb 2020 20:22 You are a mine of information JGD. Can I borrow you for a pub quiz sometime?
Thank you for the thought. Can't think of the last pub quiz in which railway questions of this type were asked.

And when it comes to the TV soaps questions - I am completely hopeless.

Made me smile tho'.