Sydenham Grand Prix

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
f4monty

Sydenham Grand Prix

Post by f4monty »

What’s with all the high speed racing around Sydenham today? Sounds like bikes or F1 cars doing a circuit repeatedly... I’m off Westwood Hill.
buzzbee

Re: Sydenham Grand Prix

Post by buzzbee »

I have no idea but, living on Sydenham Road, I reckon they're going at about 35-40mph. I'm tempted to call the police as these are surely not essential journeys!
angela53

Post by angela53 »

I saw four guys on motorbikes this afternoon racing up Sydenham Road performing acrobatics - total idiots - and then returning back down Sydenham performing once more and making a lot of noise
They were taking advantage of empty streets it beggars belief
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

It is to be hoped that the boy-racers all get eliminated in the qualifying rounds.

Whether that be at the hands of our over-stretched boys-in-blue or as a result of complete mechanical failure is of no consequence.

The noise transmitted for miles - it was intrusive and could be heard on Perry Hill - but we could not work out what was happening.
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

Could hear noise in Lower Sydenham over the weekend and thought it was the 4WD people around the industrial estate.
Holaquease

Post by Holaquease »

They're out in force today...
buzzbee

Post by buzzbee »

I've tweeted @MPSSydenham today but they probably have bigger fish to fry like dumbasses sunbathing in parks
Billbo

Post by Billbo »

Really annoying, they seem to think that lockdown means they have the right to speed around Sydenham like its a race track ignoring all speed limits and ignorant to the noise they make disturbing so many people.
Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

The noise is the guys on quad bikes.
They came down my road (Collingtree) several times over the last week and then decide to either turn right and go up kirkdale, or left and down towards the station and beyond.
They sat at the top of Collingtree, revving up and then floored it to the bottom. Complete PIA.
buzzbee

Post by buzzbee »

Hi Tadpole, while some of the noise may be quad bikes, the majority of the noise made on Sydenham Road is motorbikes/2 wheeled nuisances.

If it wasn't a nuisance for every other law-abiding road user, I'd suggest we got some speed bumps - it might improve quality of life!
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Not a fan of the disturbances being caused here.

And our local MPS officers frown on civilians unilaterally throwing stingers across the pathway of these offenders (tempting, effective, but......).

It is almost universally agreed that speed bumps are inconvenient. But the other hidden factor is their impact on public service vehicles. The chassis of ambulances and busses are prematurely wrecked by travelling on routes where they are prevalent.

Take a comparison of our local 181's and 202's. Both fleets were replaced about the same time, just around three years or so ago.

The 202 barely has a single traffic bump on its long route - and those busses are still like the greyhounds of the fleet - nippy and free of rattles.

The 181's however endure long portions of their routes with all forms of speed humps and pillows present. Consequently whilst they remain nippy - every mechanical part, every panel, every door and every window rattles - even on smooth portions of the route.

I worry that the drivers on this route must go home and rattle in their sleep.

It is unclear whether these measures are effective at all.

Better plans are required.

Now back to stingers and MPS............
buzzbee

Post by buzzbee »

Hahahaha @JGD I have many a time considered putting stingers out and shouting "that'll learn 'em" but I know I will be the one going to the cells.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

I’ve seen a group of quad bikers gathered by the Clarke’s bus depot by Lower Sydenham recently. They use that stretch of road to rev and test their bikes it seems. Properly noisy. Not sure the police give a monkey’s though, or more likely they can’t really afford the time to collar them.
Holaquease

Post by Holaquease »

I think we reached a new low for poorly behaved drivers today. Some idiot was driving his BMW round Mayow Park.
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

I noticed there were tyre tracks in Cator Park the other day.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

Seemed like there were bike races going on again tonight.

I can hear some serious engine noise. Not entirely sure where about it is, but pretty loud!

I assume it will require someone to have a serious accident before the police do something.
simon

Post by simon »

I saw a bloke on a very noisy, small green motorbike, very fast down Lennard Road earlier tonight. Appeared to be ridden by a middle aged white guy in a grey hoody with no helmet. He was bald and had mad staring eyes. I think he was on something, other than the small green motorbike.
Stay safe
JGD

Post by JGD »

simon wrote: 20 Jun 2020 23:34 He was bald and had mad staring eyes. I think he was on something, other than the small green motorbike.
F u n n y.
dcjprior

Post by dcjprior »

They were out last night around 11pm, doing doughnuts (presumably cars, not bikes) somewhere around the Trewsbury/Cator/Kent House Road area. Caused an utter racket and terrified our cat.

How could anyone, in their right mind, think this is remotely socially acceptable? I appreciate the question is moot. "It's my car/bike and I like it, so there."
maestro

Post by maestro »

simon wrote: 20 Jun 2020 23:34 I saw a bloke on a very noisy, small green motorbike, very fast down Lennard Road earlier tonight. Appeared to be ridden by a middle aged white guy in a grey hoody with no helmet. He was bald and had mad staring eyes. I think he was on something, other than the small green motorbike.
Stay safe

A trombone perhaps?