Masks

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham

Moderator: frenzarin

Cathy

Re: Masks

Post by Cathy »

14Monty - What I was actually trying to point out is that people within the BAME community are more likely to contract this nasty, vile virus and I was surprised that they were not wearing masks to protect themselves and their loved ones. Nothing racist about my comment whatsoever. :roll:

chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

Cathy wrote:
26 Jul 2020 01:41
not wearing masks to protect themselves and their loved ones.
Unless you are wearing a special medical grade mask, then masks and face coverings do not offer any significant protection to the wearer. They DO significantly reduce the risk that you transmit the virus to others, and thus help break the chain of infection.

Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I suspect willingness to wear a mask is related to age, gender, class and level of education (a bit like views on Brexit), rather than to ethnicity.

Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

chrisj1948 wrote:
26 Jul 2020 06:04
Cathy wrote:
26 Jul 2020 01:41
not wearing masks to protect themselves and their loved ones.
Unless you are wearing a special medical grade mask, then masks and face coverings do not offer any significant protection to the wearer. They DO significantly reduce the risk that you transmit the virus to others, and thus help break the chain of infection.
As far as I am concerned, even if it increases protection for the wearer or for others by even 0.1% it's still worth it. Sure, it was a bit uncomfortable at first, but I got used to it quickly and every little helps. It's just common sense to wear one in public, all this nonsense that we see (mostly) in the US about it breaching rights is just that.. nonsense.. rights should not come into it, everyone should WANT to be doing what they can to reduce the impact where they can.
Last edited by Parker1970 on 27 Jul 2020 09:43, edited 1 time in total.

syd

Post by syd »

Hi all, it’s great to know that people are taking mask wearing seriously as 123 people died in England yesterday. The rest of the uk had no deaths so it’s clear something is seriously wrong here. I am still in lockdown nothing this govt has done has given me confidence to change my behaviour.

alywin

Post by alywin »

chrisj1948 wrote:
Maybe, maybe not. But given that there are increasing indications that how badly you end up suffering from Covid-19 tends to depend on how much viral load you initially get, surely it's better for me, if I walk through the Covid-containing aerosol which someone else has breathed out, if as many of those particles as possible land on the fabric of my mask rather than ending up directly in my mouth and nose? That way, they may not get breathed in in the first place.

Mayowthorpe

Post by Mayowthorpe »

Robin Orton wrote:
26 Jul 2020 11:57
I suspect willingness to wear a mask is related to age, gender, class and level of education (a bit like views on Brexit), rather than to ethnicity.
Yeah, all those uneducated Remainers are now walking around without masks. The selfishness of them!

syd

Post by syd »

alywin wrote:
30 Jul 2020 00:23
chrisj1948 wrote:
Maybe, maybe not. But given that there are increasing indications that how badly you end up suffering from Covid-19 tends to depend on how much viral load you initially get, surely it's better for me, if I walk through the Covid-containing aerosol which someone else has breathed out, if as many of those particles as possible land on the fabric of my mask rather than ending up directly in my mouth and nose? That way, they may not get breathed in in the first place.
Yep and 3 layer minimum preferably mix fabrics. Covid has been played down from the beginn8ng as just the flu when it’s more like airborne HIV

witchesrave

Post by witchesrave »

syd wrote:
30 Jul 2020 13:18
alywin wrote:
30 Jul 2020 00:23
chrisj1948 wrote:
Yep and 3 layer minimum preferably mix fabrics. Covid has been played down from the beginn8ng as just the flu when it’s more like airborne HIV
This is a woefully inaccurate and wildly ignorant thing to say. COVID is horrible yes, but please don’t compare it to HIV/AIDS.

chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

I regret to report that after the initial surge of compliance, I now see fewer masks on Sydenham Road and on my last trip to Lidl there were 4 unmasked customers. :-(

Regards
Chris

syd

Post by syd »

chrisj1948 wrote:
31 Jul 2020 10:39
I regret to report that after the initial surge of compliance, I now see fewer masks on Sydenham Road and on my last trip to Lidl there were 4 unmasked customers. :-(

Regards
Chris
Complacency has set In