Consultation on Proposal to Close Silverdale/Bishopsthorpe Road to traffic

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Ghlpc

Re: Consultation on Proposal to Close Silverdale/Bishopsthorpe Road to traffic

Post by Ghlpc »

The queue of cars on Mayow Road to turn onto the High Street today was past the entrance to Mayow Park.

Cars now U turn and cut through Dacres Road. Right past a School.

Such a clever, well thought out proposal.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

I take it you’re being sarcastic and if so I totally agree.
I’m all for getting people walking and cycling etc, but I counted 44 idling cars waiting for the lights on Mayow Rd this evening as I walked up...I’ve got a funny feeling that the pollution built up there alone makes a mockery of the idea.
It’s just daft
Holaquease

Post by Holaquease »

Not sure how wise it is to revive this thread but wanted to say how grateful I am for this LTN now that we're back in lockdown. I'm clinically vulnerable and no longer feel able to use Mayow Park as it's too busy with too little attention paid to distancing. Bishops Thorpe and Silverdale provide a quiet alternative. Traffic is now reduced to the point that its possible to walk on the road if the pavement is occupied.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Plus me. Cycling to Forest Hill is now a pleasure - unlike the time I felt so unsafe that I did the same journey by car. Isn't that the point even if many have yet to get the message?

Sure LTNs are imperfect but that queue of 44 vehicles must give time for the occupants to consider if there is not a better way - and not just thinking Dacres Road. People will, on the whole, take the most convenient mode. Shifting the balance from one mode to another is surely the best way. If you are against LTNs enabling this then please don't oppose without coming up with a better suggestion. Unless you want to propogate the pre-Covid status quo that was literally killing us.

Stuart