Tax refund scam

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
El Cid

Tax refund scam

Post by El Cid »

I have received an email purporting to be from HMRC and asking me to enter personal details to claim a tax refund I'm eligible for. I do what I always do if I am suspicious about an email, I clicked on the name of the sender ("HM Revenue & Customs") This email address was behind it: kitesurf@bariloche.com.ar.
syenhamboy

Re: Tax refund scam

Post by syenhamboy »

Sounds totally legit.

What are you going to spend your refund on?
El Cid

Post by El Cid »

No, this is not legit, It's a scam. That's why I posted this, to warn people about it. I'm sorry, but I can't see the point of your post. Was it meant to be funny? It didn't work for me. Some people are getting ripped off with these sort of emails.
alywin

Post by alywin »

HMRC now has a specific email address for you to forward scam emails to so that they can be dealt with, doesn't it? Or is it the government in general?
syenhamboy

Post by syenhamboy »

El Cid wrote: 17 Jun 2020 22:21 No, this is not legit, It's a scam. That's why I posted this, to warn people about it. I'm sorry, but I can't see the point of your post. Was it meant to be funny? It didn't work for me. Some people are getting ripped off with these sort of emails.
Dur it's called sarcasm.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

syenhamboy wrote: 18 Jun 2020 05:50 Dur it's called sarcasm.
Borne of what kind of thinking ? It would seem you have developed a dismissive tone towards other posters on a thread that was after all started by you and in which no-one has expressed any significantly different views to your's, only other examples.

It might be surmised that this and other threads on the theme are seen as informative by the forum generally as there have been 4,000+ views.