Sydenham hall is no more

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mosy

Sydenham hall is no more

Post by mosy »

For info, the Sydenham Hall small community building near the top end of Silverdale is now all but gone, to be replaced by a housing building, which doesn't appear from the plans to be too much to worry about in aesthetic terms at least.

However, I have noticed a Japanese Knotweed treatment/eradication van outside a couple of times and suspect that some knotweed might have been found but I don't know. The hall has been left unused for a couple of years at least. My point is that if there are neglected sites near you, it might be worth finding out if they've been checked for it.

Just thinking out loud is all.
Cathy

Re: Sydenham hall is no more

Post by Cathy »

Hi Mosy
Such a shame in a way. I was hoping that there were bats living there, or some kind of flower/bug that was very rare!

Yes, Japanese knotweed is present...

Other than that, I am glad that it is a small development and as I understand for over the 50's/60's.
Michael Viner

Post by Michael Viner »

Used to enjoy going to Jumble Sales, Summer Fetes and Christmas Fairs there in the 1980's, 90's and early 2000's with friends and family now also mostly gone. Another old Jumble Sale venue gone-more than ever it looks like the great British Jumble Sale on a Saturday is becoming a thing of the past,or at least,a seriously endangered institution, sad to say..
mosy

Post by mosy »

Jumble sales don't work in a disposable society where new stuff is cheap and replaceable, but might come back if saving the planet's resources takes hold and things made to last re-emerge, i.e. without built-in obsolescence.

I've always thought that abandoning youth halls, I don't know table tennis or pool, or cola (pre-pub age) hang out venues with music TV screens is a mistake leaving kids with nowhere to gather except the street. I suppose in covid times, it'll be a long while before such come back even if the will were there. Still, building living spaces that people can't afford and for the kids it's the street or glued to computer games is a good plan right?

Cathy, maybe the site could be declared of archeological worth to dig for Roman remains since Sydenham does have historic roots?