Sydenham Street Names

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
London Street Guide

Sydenham Street Names

Post by London Street Guide »

My partner and I are working on a project to uncover the stories of how London's streets got their names. We've been working on it for nearly three years and have published around 2,500 with information on a further 10,000.

It's a free website and the idea is that if people know the story of their streets they will have a better connection with them. It's a huge project but great fun.

We've got a lot based around Croydon.

We already have a few in Sydenham but while researching a few streets we came across this forum and the local knowledge is brilliant.

We do hope this is ok to post this hear, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Tony and Harriet
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Re: Sydenham Street Names

Post by JGD »

Can you share a link please.
London Street Guide

Hello JGD

Sorry didn't share a link as not sure we were allowed.

It's [url]www.londonstreetguide.com

We've still got a very long way to go.

Please do offer any feedback (good or bad) we made a lot of changes after we asked for help about Croydon's streets.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Hi and welcome. It sounds fascinating and of course worthwhile to enable feeling to belong to the place they're in.

Have you browsed this forum's Town Museum and Gallery yet? A couple of really knowledgeable posters contribute. I can't speak for them of course but perhaps if you made contact they could give you some Sydenham pointers or background.

I wish you well.
London Street Guide

Thanks Mosy, I think that's how we found the site while trying to research Dallas Road, which would have been easy if the road was developed in the 1980s with nearby streets called Ewing Way, Bobby Shot Close and JR Alley.

But it's more common than you'd think and I'm assuming it's a surname.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Thank you.

Great site - I wish you every success in the endeavour.

Didn't know Minard Road was named after a remote village on the shores of Loch Fyne - so learned something today.
London Street Guide

Oh that's great, please do spread the word, the more people that know about us the more we can build on it.

And do follow us on Twitter or Facebook.

Tony and Harriet.