Replacement for Penge Lidl

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
alywin

Replacement for Penge Lidl

Post by alywin »

I see the former Penge Lidl store (itself the former Edgington's furniture store) is being taken over by something called Mega Saver, I think it was. Not sure quite what it is, but the alcohol licence I think had a Turkish-sounding name on it. Given that it's virtually next door to the Penge Food Centre, I hope the two aren't going to compete too much.

Also, the former Penge Mobility Centre a few doors down looks to be becoming a Brazilian food shop ...
JMLF

Re: Replacement for Penge Lidl

Post by JMLF »

Rumour had it (Penge tourist board) that the owners of PFC were planning to move in there so whether it is true and they are moving out to the bigger unit, keeping the old one and having something different here or the rumours aren’t true and it’s completely separate who knows!
mikej

Post by mikej »

I've heard it's a Mega Saver which is like an M & B discount store only smaller.
parker

Post by parker »

The shop sign looks very similar to a Mega Saver chain they have in Nebraska and Florida.

http://www.megasaverstores.com/
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

It opened today. Looks like a local rival to Lidl and Aldi. Mix of big brands and smaller ones and selection of fruit, veg, etc plus household products. It's run by the Penge Food Centre people
alywin

Post by alywin »

So, what will happen to the PFC, which is virtually next door, I wonder? I was going to go in and have a nose round, but my bus came along.
angela53

Post by angela53 »

Popped in today for the first time. Large and very interesting selection of products including Italian, Polish,Turkish and other continental. The Italian sausage selection is excellent. I will definately be back.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Not sure where the "Mega" savings are, though ...
angela53

Post by angela53 »

Agree
It`s a misconseption
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

I popped in for a look and although it looks nice, it seems expensive. Tinned soup is expensive and a couple of other things I looked at.
Lois Lane

Post by Lois Lane »

Hi,

I’m new to the area and pleased there’s a decent alternative to Sainsbury’s and Iceland. Their “ foreign” food section is quite good, and went back today to get some rabbit I saw earlier this week. Sold out so had to settle for Italian sausages and quail lol. Wine section abysmally sad. However, a big thumbs up to stocking Finnish gin-based alcopops!
Serhataksoy

Post by Serhataksoy »

My post was deleted :? . But, the owner also owns penge food centre, pfc Sydenham, pfc addiscombe and freshco addiscombe. My brother-in-law worked in his shop and told me he does shady. Besides this, he’s sexist and racist to customers and staff. Wouldn’t recommend
Townexpert

Post by Townexpert »

He’s also money hungry. I posted this to another forum but , during COVID, he raised prices to take advantage of panic buying. He was selling canned chickpeas for £4 each. Before, they used to sell it for 59p each or 3 for 99p. After this, I just stopped going to all his shops. I go to other local shops.