This might help UKIP in Lewisham West

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Adam

This might help UKIP in Lewisham West

Post by Adam »

Seen this on e-bay!!!

http://tinyurl.com/6kjp9
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

" This listing (5571384150) has been removed by eBay or is no longer available. Please make sure that you've entered the item number correctly."

So what was it Adam?
Adam

Post by Adam »

Paddy it was a guy selling his vote on May 5th, to the highest bidder.

It wouldn't suprise me E-bay taking it off, it was on the BBC and LBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/ ... 418377.stm

A
Lewkip

I'm no lawyer Adam but...

Post by Lewkip »

According to the Representation of the People Act 1983, a person is guilty of the corrupt practice of bribery if they, directly or indirectly, give any money or procures any office to or for any voter, in order to induce any voter to vote or refrain from voting.

I'll be going to the Council tomorrow about other stuff so thanks for highlighting this! I'll draw their attention to your post.

Cheers Buddy!
Adam

Post by Adam »

Quite how pointing out something on our national broadcasters website makes me indirectly a criminal I don't know. You really are a fruit loop.

They say politics aint pretty - aint that the truth
Lewkip

Now, now don't get sensitive!

Post by Lewkip »

Was it me that posted the title `This might help UKIP in Lewisham West'?

No.

I didn't see it on eBay nor on the BBC website either.

Hmm.

Well, if it is all innocent then there's no need to fret, right?

Take care!

Lewkip [now in search of some veg to complement his daily fruit intake: After all beauty should not be taken for granted]

p.s. Remember to vote UKIP for a fruity way to start the day (hey! it kinda rhymes!)
Adam

Post by Adam »

Well if you failed to see the link to the BBC website earlier in the thread, I am happy to copy the article and the link again, it might just help you out. No doubt you will be asking that Mark Thompson (he's the director general (the boss) of the BBC just incase you didn't know) to be reported to the council too.

Do you honestly think your attitude and attributes on here are actually going to win you votes and support??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/ ... 418377.stm

Votes for sale on eBay

POSTED: Wednesday 6 April, 1900BST

What's going on elsewhere on the web?

There's a certain weary inevitability about this, but one day into the campaign and already people are offering their votes for sale on eBay.

For prices (at the time of writing) currently between £1.44 and £5, three sellers are offering their vote to the highest bidder. There seems to be a consistent motive behind the offers - protest. But one seller initially indicated the lure of some drinking money was the appeal. It was later amended to say that any proceeds would be donated to Unicef.

One of the sellers says: "Myself and my friend are selling our valuable votes for the 2005 General Election. We really don't give a monkeys who our votes go to and don't care who wins the election. So why not use the apathy of the dispondent 'Generation X' to make a difference and swing the vote your way!"

Another says: "In this election no-one's going to do what I ask. I'm going to have the same choice I always have. A constituency in which the result is a forgone conclusion, and candidates doing nothing to distinguish themselves from the 550 other candidates of their party."

One even promises to photograph their completed ballot paper "for proof I voted for your choice".

But the bad news for these sellers is that offering votes for sale is an offence against the Representation of the People Act. A spokeswoman for the Electoral Commission said they had contacted eBay this afternoon asking them to remove the offending items.

In the past, she said, eBay had complied with their requests - which had meant that the sellers themselves had not been prosecuted. In any case, there is the difficulty of tracing people's real identities from the ones used online.

But in the week that the system of postal votes was branded by a judge as "hopelessly insecure" and "wide open to fraud", this may well cause the electoral authorities to keep a particularly close eye on what's going on online.
Newman

Post by Newman »

Jens, can I suggest that you buy a copy of How to win friends and influence people. You might learn a thing or two from it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ladies & Gentlemen,

A gentle reminder to all to please direct attacks at the policy not the poster. I have posted a follow-up on legal issues under "Read This First". I would be grateful if you could all respect that.

In business positive campaigning always wins over negative. I wonder why politicians seldom agree?