Air pollution

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
syd

Air pollution

Post by syd »

Evening all,

Well just when I thought i couldn’t be less impressed with Lewisham Councillors I read this.

A child died cause the council didn't treat the air pollution as a emergency but they waste no time ensuring that the posh streets have traffic control. This proves JRW is right to hold the councils feet to the fire to explain themselves regarding the monstrosity. It seems like the councillors have been getting away with whatever they like for far too long.

https://www.eastlondonlines.co.uk/2020/ ... uest-told/
Ella Roberta Adoo Kissi-Debrah died in February 2013. Pic: The Ella Roberta Family Foundation.
Lewisham failed to prioritise air pollution and treat it as ‘a public health emergency’, barrister for the family of Ella Roberta Adoo Kissi-Debrahn argued on the first day of an inquest into the death of the nine-year-old.

It took the council seven years to conduct the first strategic needs assessment on air pollution, the court heard on Monday. Rickard Hermer QC, representing Ella’s family, called it a “glacial pace”.

During the 10-day landmark case a coroner will assess whether air pollution caused or contributed to Ella’s death in February 2013. It has never previously been identified as a cause of death in the UK.

Philip Barlow, assistant coroner for Inner South London leading the hearing at Southwark Coroner’s Court, said the inquest would examine air pollution as a cause of Ella’s death.

It will also explore how pollution levels were monitored at the time, and assess the steps taken to reduce air pollution and to inform the public about its level, the dangers to ones’ health and ways to reduce exposure.