Beware of scam emails

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
El Cid

Beware of scam emails

Post by El Cid »

There's a lot of scam emails going around. I recently had ones purporting to be from courier company DPD and Parcel Force. This one arrived today, claiming to be from Amazon.

Congratulations!!
Today, February 05, 2021, you have been chosen to participate in this survey. It will take you only a minute and you will receive a fantastic prize: new Playstation 5 !
Every Wednesday, we choose 10 random users to give them the chance to win fabulous prizes. Today's prize is a new Playstation 5 ! 10 lucky winners will be. Only for those who live in UK!
This survey aims to improve the service for our users.
Hurry up, the number of prizes to be won is limited!
Pally

Re: Beware of scam emails

Post by Pally »

A lot of scam emails about Covid Jabs are going around too!!
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Yes a friend of mine got one that looked like it had come from the nhs but had a Hotmail email address. Be careful folks
alywin

Post by alywin »

As ever, set your junk email filters on high ...

We got taken in the other day by an apparent announcement by HMRC that the latest Covid-19 SEISS grant was being extended by one month until the end of February, although what the point of it was I'm still not sure.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Received a new variant on scam emails this morning.

Allegedly from E.ON it tried to scam me into believing I had been overcharged by them and a refund had to be paid into my bank.

It was well designed and looked almost entirely authentic and believable - except I don't have an electricity supply from them - I am with another provider.

The link was to a fake web-address and would have invited me to "confirm" my bank details - right into the hands of the crook scammers.

Had I provided the requested bank info - they could take any number of steps to try to rob monies from my account.

Be wary of unexpected emails everyone - there's a new criminal scam round every corner.