Bell Green Neighbourhood Forum proposals...

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JRW

Bell Green Neighbourhood Forum proposals...

Post by JRW »

[I'd be grateful if someone could copy the map over from SE26.life, as I can't do it myself.]

The Bell Green neighbourhood forum launch has been beset with people dragging their feet, so I thought I’d post my own draft boundaries. The decision to actually open the forum would be after a full democratic consultation, and all residents get a vote.

I’d really welcome a discussion about my suggested boundaries; which streets are affected by current and future developments at Bell Green?

For starters, my reasons for the suggested boundaries are:
    The stretch of Sydenham Road, east of the Kent House Road junction, was previously called Bell Green.
      Including the Linear Park right up to Catford allows environmental improvements to the River Pool, enhancing its biodiversity, and its emergency floodwater storage capacity. The approximate flood plain is marked in pale blue.
        Including Southend Park allows for the renaturalisation of the river, which flows under the park in a brick culvert.
          Including the whole stretch of Linear Park allows for potential upgrades of foot /cycle bridges across the railway and river into Bellingham.
            The inclusion of the main feeder routes into Bell Green, affected by any future traffic growth.

Let’s start the discussion here, while we wait for public meetings to restart.
            syd-gal

Re: Bell Green Neighbourhood Forum proposals...

Post by syd-gal »

Don't know how to show the map, it's on https://se26.life/t/bell-green-neighbou ... aries/2194
            mikej

Post by mikej »

JRW, I don't live in this proposed area (though I know most of it pretty well) but your principles seem good to me. What do others think?
            Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I live in this area, and your principles seem fair. I’d like to see more made of Southend Park which is a lovely space
            JRW

Post by JRW »

Thanks, mikej and Matthew. I'd love to get more people's responses, to be put forward to our councillors. Please do make any suggestions of tweaks and improvements to my suggested boundary. Don't be shy!
            Parents united

Post by Parents united »

I’m so glad this topic has been brought up as I too have found difficulties within the boundaries and who takes responsibility for this area. For example Homepark I believe is caught in the middle. It’s not quite Sydenham nor quite Bell Green, so who takes responsibility for it?
            I would like to create a safe educational/sports place for young secondary aged children to attend after school.
            The violence amongst our young people will ultimately affect everyone that lives in Sydenham/Bell Green/Homepark. I am a qualified youth worker with links to education, arts, radio and boxing training and I would like to implement this in Sydenham/Homepark/Bell Green. Can anybody help??
            JRW

Post by JRW »

Brilliant to hear from you! Bell Green retail park is in Bellingham Ward; it was historically Sydenham, formerly East Sydenham Ward. You can see the ward boundaries via the Lewisham Council website, but please note that they are about to change again slightly; this happens regularly when the (national) Electoral Commission sees population change. Bell Green is at the corner of three wards, so has suffered as being not of huge interest to any one; the Mayor has approved a neighbourhood forum which crosses the 3 wards. Some councillors seem to be dragging their feet, but Cllr Alan Hall of Bellingham is very keen to see it happen. You can contact him on cllr_alan.hall@lewisham.gov.uk

Your CV sounds really important; one of the things I want to push for is a larger space for the St Andrew's boxing club, and other similar youth provision. As retail space falls vacant, as is likely in the current climate, I don't see why one or two can't be used for leisure/sport, at least as a meanwhile use.

Home park is in Bellingham ward, but the library is in Sydenham Ward. Totally nuts, given the park wraps around the back of the library. Oh, and Sydenham Road, east of the Kent House Road junction is called 'Bell Green' on old maps. Lines have to be drawn somewhere, but these are arbitrary administrative boundaries; we need a forum to bridge the wards, and work together to improve the area.
            Parents united

Post by Parents united »

Thanks for the reply I am very happy and willing to work together to make our community better, safer and stronger. Whatever it takes!!
            JRW

Post by JRW »

Brilliant, glad to be in contact. If you get canvassed, and get to speak to any of the elections candidates, ask them where they stand on this. Getting councillors onside is vital, as working across three wards needs cooperation from everybody.