Forest Hill Pools

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sparticus

Forest Hill Pools

Post by sparticus »

Has anyone lease had problems with negotiating the website or app for booking sessions at Forest Hill pools now run by “Better”, the new operator? I thought I was reasonably IT savvy but I’m absolutely defeated. I can’t find any way of registering my entitlement to free swimming, the best exercise by far for old and arthritic codgers like me. Even if I was able to book a swim, it looks like over 60’s free swimming is now restricted to 2 hours in the morning and 2 in the afternoon and can’t book early morning sessions at all.
Robin Orton

Re: Forest Hill Pools

Post by Robin Orton »

My wife and I have had exactly the same problems. Attempts to get advice from Better, via online enquiry forms and telephone, have failed. Our current plan is to call in at the pools, possibly tomorrow, to see whether we can find a helpful real person.
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

Good luck. Do let us know how you get on.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Called at pools this morning. Helpful young woman on desk sorted us out. Apparently there is a not very prominent thing on the app or the website that, if you click it, enables you to register for free (concessionary) membership; she did it for me on my phone, so unfortunately I wasn’t able to see exactly where it was. Was able subsequently (although not without further aggro with passwords) to book a slot for next Monday - hope it’s still there when we get there!

Lots of other puzzled oldies in the queue with us. I really admired the receptionist for the way she kept her cool and dealt with us all. But I do think that Better have seriously mishandled all this communicationswise. The website/app seems to me to be very badly designed, and the absence of help online or by phone is deplorable.
CATLADY

Post by CATLADY »

I was a member of Forest Hill pools before lockdown and when new management took over,so was expecting some sort of update from the new owners but never had one. First thing I knew was via a flier through my door.
I also struggled with the website.
Not impressed by expensive membership prices and lack of option to have just access to swimming and classes - not interested in the gym which seems to be part of every package.
Shame - maybe I will drop in for a chat to discuss options as others have done.
Parkrunner

Post by Parkrunner »

Better do offer a 'swim only' monthly membership - around 30 quid from memory. Entitles to use any/all of their pools including the likes of the 2012 Olympics pool, Charlton lido (heated!) and, closer to home, Crystal Palace NSC (if the 50-metre pool there ever re-opens...).
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

I managed to register, but the app won't let me log in, the circle just keeps spinning. So I can't book anything even though I've signed up. And staff at the reception don't know what's wrong with the app!
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

I went in to Forest Hill Pools this morning and a very helpful young man on the desk sorted my app out for me. Apparently the link to upload supporting documents for free swimming for the elderly doesn’t work but he sorted it out anyway. Rather disappointed that he didn’t ask for evidence himself! But I was very disappointed to learn that the concession is now limited to 10-12am and 2-4pm, times when the pool is most likely to be busy especially during the school holidays. This seems to have been sneaked in by the council without consultation or announcement.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I've got mixed feelings about the new times - not being a morning person, 9.00 was always a bit early for me - but I agree it would have been nice at any rate to have had an explanation for the change.