Pret a Manger Post-pandemic Expansion Plan

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Pret a Manger Post-pandemic Expansion Plan

Post by JGD »

Restaurant to open about 100 outlets and 100 franchises, as branches in regional towns ‘busier than ever’
So if if were to be the case that a Pret-a-Manger's Post-pandemic Expansion Plan is to open a branch in Sydenham are we for it or agin it?

Has SydSoc spotted this as a possible outcome and what is their view?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ty-centres
Clovers

Re: Pret a Manger Post-pandemic Expansion Plan

Post by Clovers »

Does it suggest a pret in Sydenham, or just speculating?

Would the Sydenham society have a say when it’s not a conservation issue?
KPR

Post by KPR »

Surely better than yet another nail bar or chicken shop? I doubt it would get the footfall a Pret needs though - yes there will be more people working from home now but you can make a Pret sandwich yourself in your own kitchen. If you’re going out for lunch you want cooked food that Pret doesn’t supply. They would have a lot of competition in the coffee market too, so not sure that’s a runner.
alywin

Post by alywin »

I really can't see Pret opening a branch in Sydenham - or even in Penge, for that matter.

Indeed, on my relatively rare trips to London in recent months, I've been aware that one of the very few positive things to have come out of the pandemic is a culling of the excessive number of Pret branches in various areas: in some places it used to be that you couldn't go 100 yards without encountering one, which really was a bit ridiculous.