London Election - It's just shocking

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sean

London Election - It's just shocking

Post by sean »

I live in a house with 2 females, one in her 20s the other in her 40s. They both complain about train services, train fares, tubes, congestion charge - the list goes on.

But netiher of them voted, "don't bother to vote, it doesn't effect me".
I am just shocked at the attitude that some people have. I know a lot more other people that don't bother but they are the first to complain about services.

Yes I did go and put my cross in the box. Although the guy from the Labour party sitting in the church vestry definately didn't look interesting enough to vote for him. He was sat there looking sad and starring at the floor. Maybe he could see into the future!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The 1st preference mayoral votes for our constituency which stayed loyal to Ken here: http://results.londonelects.org.uk/Resu ... .aspx?id=8

PS If Boris wins - people are tipping Steve Norris as chair of TfL - which will affect your travelling experience. For better or worse?

Admin
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I hate it when people don't vote. People are fighting and dieing for the vote in other country’s and we take it for granted. I think it should be compulsory. Even if there is no left or right anymore and most policy decisions are made by civil servants and unelected thinktanks we should still vote at least for local reasons and to show them that we are keeping an eye on them. If it was compulsory then a lot of people who claim not to care about politics would be forced to take an interest.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Lewisham & Greenwich went for Ken. London went for Boris. Len Duvall got re-elected as our GLA member. Results here: http://www.sydenham.org.uk/government_london.html

Interested to know what difference you think it will make to Sydenham.

Admin
roundasapound

Post by roundasapound »

A few people at my workplace didn't bother to vote either.

I voted, but am rather depressed and disappointed that Boris has won. Who and how can anyone take this man seriously?

The least of our worries now are closing the gate at Platform 1 on Sydenham station, now the elderly and infirm are going to have difficulties getting onto the new proposed routemasters
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

An extraordinary thought has just occurred to me. The new mayor of London is an Old Etonian. If the Tories win the next election, which seems a distinct possibility, we will also have Old Etonians as Prime Minister and Chancellor of the Exchequer. The three most powerful political jobs in this country held by privileged white males who went to the same public school...

Sixty years ago this wouldn't have been unusual, but surely it doesn't say much for our 21st century "egalitarian" society.
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

Well in response to that, Steve, maybe people are getting fed up with the so called 'egalitarian' society which no doubt you have helped creat! I did'nt vote for Boris, but was fed up with Ken and his Guardian reading cronies, so i embrace change and will make a decision once Boris has had an opportunity of proving himself.
gone again

Post by gone again »

As an old Etonian myself I find those comments offensive.
Last edited by gone again on 3 May 2008 11:02, edited 1 time in total.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Time will tell.

I'm not happy about Boris, although I agree that we should be able to design our own bus for our own city.
T Boy

Post by T Boy »

It is not at all shocking. I'm not surprised Ken lost. We all knew it was a two horse race between Ken and Boris and does a man who:

Admitted that he tricked ministers into backing the Olympic bid
Allowed corruption to spread through the GLA/ LDA
Pushes through congestion charging on the incorrect basis that it will generate cash for investing in other public transport systems
Insisted on investing so heavily on the buses when London relies more on the trains
Allowed yob culture to get worse in our city

Ken had his chance (8 years) - as he said he can only blame himself.

Well done Boris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hope you don't mind me butting in - but I have a concern this thread might degenerate into crude Ken/Boris bashing - in which case I should move this thread into Town Pub.

The point is we have, like it or not, Boris for the next 4 years. It is going to cause some changes in direction on decisions made affecting Sydenham. May I suggest that is what we should discuss here.

TIA
Admin
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

You've got to give Boris a chance, he won the mandate.
He gave a decent speech last night, lets see how he, or rather his minders, handle London.
He could be a major help or hinderance to the coming Tory revival and election to power.

Either way its going to be entertaining!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Oh dear, after watching the acceptance speech I feel like we have made a huge mistake. What a bumbling fool. And no actual policies, just 'we want to do this, we want to do that', but no any 'and we will achieve it by doing this'.

As for the effects on us, it's down to all of us working together to ensure the hard work already done isn't undone and momentum isnt lost on future and current issues.
georgemichael

Post by georgemichael »

Oh stop whingeing everyone :roll:

Ken's gone and it's a new administration - files have been shredded and deleted by Ken and it's a new start. We'll see this in the US in November, too.

Be positive - Boris is going to want to retain votes in Croydon and Bromley and will thus improve transport into London via Sydenham.

Boris wants to keep London moving, so he'll rephase the traffic lights that Ken sneakily changed overnight. Boris will appoint Steven Norris as the leader of the Tfl - a far better choice in my opinion.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have deleted a post which, once again, proved Godwin's Law.

I had specifically asked that posts in this thread should refrain from Ken/Boris bashing and instead seriously address the issues that may affect Sydenham under the new administration. I will delete any future posts here of any persuasion that believe invective is a substitute for reasoned arguement.

I hope I have majority support for this and it doesn't make this too boring. Banterage should be in the Town Pub section - except I think Godwin's Law deletion is operative there too ...

Admin
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Although I support your decision, Admin, I do think a case could be made for allowing some of the more intemperate posts to stand; they often give a clearer insight into the real views of the poster. Removing their more extreme messages might make that person seem just a little more balanced.

Do, by all means, remove this post if it is not appropriate.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Steve Grindlay wrote:Do, by all means, remove this post if it is not appropriate.
Nope Steve. That was too much like a reasoned arguement to even get close. I think no one minds a bit of passion and irony is a great British tradition. But a post that is purely 'yaboo' doesn't really help does it? Inevitably you just get yaboo back and a perfectly good thread gets destroyed.

Maybe to get back on topic someone could spell out Boris' policy pledges for the next 4 years. Bendy busses seems a favourite. Do we have to wait for the design & commissioning of a 'new' Routemaster? Surely that can't be achieved in the next 4 years? So what are they going to be replaced with when? Let's get some beef onto the election claims.

But then bendies only get as far as East Dulwich (route 40) so maybe its not a Sydenham issue.

Admin
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

I don't think we need worry about the bendy bus/routemaster policy in Sydenham, either. The only major route is the 176 and it's never been a routemaster or bendy bus as far as I know.....

What I'd like to see improve is the safety of passengers on the local buses and trains, then I would use them instead of the car.

Making under 18's who abuse their right to free travel earn back their Oyster passes is an excellent idea. I'd like to see how practical it is during the school rush hour!