Stations

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Muddy Waters

Stations

Post by Muddy Waters »

Re Sydenham and Forest Hill Stations

Reverting to a direct question to local candidates which seemed to get lost in all the hype last week

We need to know that anyone wanting to be Member of Parliament representing both communities is fully behind, indeed positively pushing for, new stations for the hard pressed commuters whose vote they are courting.

So, candidates for the seat of Lewisham West, where do you stand - do you undertake to work hard to promote new stations at Forest Hill and Sydenham?

You are asking us for your vote and if elected you will be our representative for the next 4/5 years and there is much that needs to be done to regenerate these areas.
Lewkip

I will be at both stations this week

Post by Lewkip »

Hello Muddy Waters,

As part of my ongoing efforts to learn more about all six wards of Lewisham West, I will be visiting both Forest Hill and Sydenham stations this week for a first hand view on how things are handled at rush hour. This would be an extension of my usual leafletting and canvassing (which I have already done in this campaign at Catford, Catford Bridge, Bellingham and Lower Sydenham).

I am aware of the plan to extend the East London tube line to this part of the borough so naturally these two stations would merit additional attention. And I will want to go away and review what is already in the pipeline through the Mayor's office and elsewhere so I can be better informed before coming back with an answer beyond a mere `Yes, I support the expansion'.

So please do bear with me while I undertake the above.

Best wishes,

Jens Winton
UKIP
Paddy Pantsdown

Re: Stations

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

Muddy Waters wrote:Re Sydenham and Forest Hill Stations

We need to know that anyone wanting to be Member of Parliament representing both communities is fully behind, indeed positively pushing for, new stations for the hard pressed commuters whose vote they are courting.
Couldn't agree more Muddy. What we need is some good old fashioned Pork Barrell Politics.

One (the only?) good thing about the US system is the local candidate has to offer voters not only his party's manifesto but his own. That is what he/she is uniquely going to deliver to the constituency. If they don't deliver then they will get dumped by party and voters.

So Jim are you going to deliver on Syd & FH stations?

Replacing them will improve the lives and prosperity of many of us more than party differences on many other issues.

Do that and despite differences on Iraq, identity cards and tuition fees - I will vote for you. I think many other doubters will too. It could mean the difference between a clean sweep now and the emergence of a credible opposition which would be real challenge to you in 2009.

Put your job on the line (no leaves please) and I am sure no one will object to naming them Jim Dowd North & Jim Dowd South.

Its no joke if you use those disgusting stations now and when with the ELLEX they could be the beginning of real regeneration.

Let's really look forward not back.
Alex Feakes

Post by Alex Feakes »

Frankly, pushing the cause of improving the stations in this area is the least any of our elected representatives should do and I'm quite happy to take up the task if elected. I would also resist the SRA proposals for all Hayes Lines trains to go to Cannon Street.

Even fairly simple changes like improved annoucements and secure cycle parking would make a difference (I cycled to Forest Hill station the other day to get train and was told there were no bicycle lock-up facilities available and no plans to install any), let alone issues such as graffiti and safety lighting.

Unfortunately, the solution - new investment - isn't easy to obtain. I worked in the industry briefly and came to understand just why so many of the changes to the rail system seem slow to happen: privatisation has made the decision and investment appraisal process within Railtrack / Network Rail worse, not better. Many of the smaller initiatives only happen because the managers championing them know how to work the system, and larger projects face formidable hurdles, including political ones.

To use the local stations as an *example*: the track is owned and maintained by Network Rail; the freehold of the stations is also owned by Network Rail, who retain responsibility for long-term maintenance and renewal; but the leasehold is owned by South Central who have responsibility for day-to-day maintenance and operation. Each TOC that has trains passing through the station has some influence on the investment at that station (no investment can occur with out the approval of all stakeholders).

Thameslink trains use the line and its future is highly dependent on the necessary Blackfriars and London Bridge station refurbishment projects, both of which are suffering substantial delay because the government is reluctant to fund them. Without some knowledge of a secure future, Thameslink would be reluctant to agree to pay the increased access charges for the use of the Forest Hill line stemming from the extra investment (in say cycle parking and new toilets) at Forest Hill and Sydenham stations. They would be motivated, therefore, to refuse to approve such investment.

On a brighter note, the advent of the ELLX will mean an opportunity for the stations to be revamped! It will require considerable pressure, however.

I hope you followed that!

Anyway, the current government has done little to improve the railway network, perhaps understandably desiring to keep it out of the headlines. Renationalising isn't feasible (not least because of the many billions that the shareholders would need to be paid), but streamlining and rationalising the whole network must happen.

The Lib Dems are proposing to do this by massively reducing the number of franchises and reintegrating the maintenance and investment operations of the network. This would reduce the instances of conflicting goals as in the example above; save massively on adminstration costs as there would be fewer lawyers, accountants etc working out who owes what to whom; and would give greater transparency to all users of the network.

Within these plans, I would be pushing for improvements and investment to all the stations within the constituency and for improvements to the services.
Jim Dowd

Post by Jim Dowd »

Dear all,

please find below my response to the questions that have been raised by local residents. Please feel free to contact my office on 020 8699 2001 or send me your contact details and I’ll be more than happy to respond.

Britain forward not back.

1. Regeneration within Sydenham is very important, as it is for all areas of the constituency – Forest Hill/Catford/Bellingham, and the achievements Labour have made in the economy, health, education, tackling crime, helping families and our older citizens are a vital component part of regenerating any area.

2. As vice-president of the Sydenham Society I am fully aware of the excellent work the society does in promoting Sydenham and giving a voice to the community. The Society has achieved excellent partnership working with the Council and other agencies and their Sydenham Gateway proposals are imaginative and thought provoking. The Gateway proposals include the railway station.

3. In November last year I brought together the Deputy Mayor, local Councillors, Senior Council Officers, Sydenham Society, Town Centre Manager and local Traders for a site visit and meeting to discuss the problems caused by the road works in Sydenham and the ‘Gateway’ proposals. This was very helpful and enabled an exchange of views and ideas. As a consequence:

• Consideration is being given to the possibility of a pelican crossing within the vicinity of the current zebra crossing. Consultation with community representatives will take place.
• Anti-skid surfacing has been laid on the westbound approach to the zebra crossing –work on the east bound approach will take place soon.
• A consultation leaflet on parking will be delivered to properties in the main part of Sydenham shortly. The results will determine the extent of parking works and will include harmonisation of parking restrictions along Sydenham Road.
• The possibility of landmark artwork on the roundabout is being considered and has been discussed with the Sydenham Society.
• A scheme for major improvement to the street environment in Sydenham Road is being considered and will include the use of high quality materials, a reduction in sign clutter and improving road safety.
• Discussions continue on the ‘Gateway’ proposals.

4. Other issues include:

On road re-surfacing - £659,000 has been spent by the Council in Sydenham since 2002/03.

On crime and community safety – the Police Safer Neighbourhood Team in Sydenham has had a major impact locally and I have been out ‘on the beat’ with them to see how they engage with the local community.

On parks - Sydenham Wells Park secured Green Flag status in 2004. Run by the Civic Trust and funded by the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister, the Award is an independent benchmark against which the quality of public parks and green spaces can be measured.

On further gas main works by Transco - I am concerned about further disruption to local residents, businesses and the flow of traffic by these latest works. I am in contact with the Council on this issue and, if returned as Member of Parliament on 5 May, I will raise this issue in the House of Commons.

On the former Bell Green Gas Works Site – consultations continue on the further development proposals for this site and I am acutely aware of the concerns expressed by some on the impact these may have on the local environment.