A SYMBOL FOR SYDENHAM

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham

My favoured Sydenham Symbol:

Green Dragon
73%
Grey Hound
11%
Either
3%
Neither
14%

Total votes: 37

paget76

Post by paget76 »

Incidentally, the dragon roof-hip-end-thingies (to use the technical term) were, I think, quite common around the turn of the century - they can be seen on quite a few buildings around south-east London, not just the Forest Hill baths.
castiron73

Post by castiron73 »

http://www.gmjwoodcarving.co.uk/Photo_Gallery.html#43

This leaf sign looks quite similar in spirit to Sydenham's original dragon
mosy

Post by mosy »

At the risk of being a pariah, which I probably am already, how would the Sydenham dragon be juxtaposed with any lettering? So, sitting on top having a little snooze, or underneath looking as if it couldn't be bothered to get up? It's not exactly in "the ready" position to fly, or if it is, its wings don't even look as if they would carry it very far, so not exactly "up, up and away" as I see it.

*runs and hides*
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

That's the job of the designers mosy ;-)
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The leaf sign looks great.

Thanks for posting that, definitely worth looking at, I had contacted a local sculpter but they haven't responded yet.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

mosy wrote:At the risk of being a pariah, which I probably am already, how would the Sydenham dragon be juxtaposed with any lettering? So, sitting on top having a little snooze, or underneath looking as if it couldn't be bothered to get up? It's not exactly in "the ready" position to fly, or if it is, its wings don't even look as if they would carry it very far, so not exactly "up, up and away" as I see it.

*runs and hides*
Think 'Grease'!

Seriously though, whilst I can see the Green Dragon having words within as per the Leaf sign above; this would be more appropriate for a one-off sculpture rather than a design for the Symbol of Syd...
mosy

Post by mosy »

You're way ahead of me Gaz. I was thinking more of the bog standard entry words, e.g. Welcome to Sydenham in Lewisham's format with the logo as an addition - somewhere on such signs. I'm sure Lewisham would be happy to have their name on signs, especially if they've provided new street furniture from borough-wide taxes and will also have paid for installing it and will be responsible for maintaining it. I'm not ashamed to live in Lewisham and Sydenham isn't exactly a borough collecting funds, so somehow the two would need to be married together wouldn't they? I'm not sure anyone could pretend that Sydenham were some sort of insular village and then blame the council for things they weren't happy with, if you catch my drift.

Lee, I know you're more oriented to design, just happy as always to hear your views on the overall aspects.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Brockley to follow "El Syd" as a vegetable?
http://tinyurl.com/4mj75j

Rather liked Horni-Man as the Symbol for Forest Hill ;-)

Admin
mosy

Post by mosy »

admin wrote:Brockley to follow "El Syd" as a vegetable?
http://tinyurl.com/4mj75j

Rather liked Horni-Man as the Symbol for Forest Hill ;-)

Admin
From that link: Quote: Probably Mrs Bucket is the best person to settle this argument. Unquote

Can't argue with that one ;) ROFL
love-sydenham

Symbol for Sydenham

Post by love-sydenham »

I absolutely love the idea of restoring the Green Dragon as a symbol for Sydenham!!! I am surprized, that the last posting regarding this subject has been made almost two years ago!!!! Is that it??? Sush a great idea just died?! :cry:

I would prefere it to look more like the origional photos showing, that will make it look more authentic, vintage, I guess...

As some one earlie in the disscussion mentioned, I would love to see it on the Coob's corner roundabout!!! It would be so great and distinctive!!!

Please can we make it come true!!!

Please!!!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Are you related? Mum? :-) I'm flattered by your very enthusiastic posts.

Er...I'm very embarrassed by this but yes, it's still live and I'm still drawing dragons (as have some of my colleagues) but alas I (and others) haven't cracked it yet and I've been busy on a multitude of other things, not least starting my own business (which I'm in the process of setting up)...so I may post on here some of the symbols I've drawn so far to get some feedback and draw on some of Sydenham Forum's most constructive criticism!
JeeBee

Post by JeeBee »

Is there actually a sign on the roads into Sydenham saying "Sydenham" at the moment? I think that would be a great thing to add on the roads from CP, FH and Catford (and maybe Penge). Where are the exact boundaries of Sydenham anyway?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

That's the plan to introduce new enamel bespoke signs (long lasting like the ones used on railway stations) for Sydenham with it's own identity.
perryman

Post by perryman »

Cipp(a) means a beam or a structure built of logs.
Cippenham means Cippa's (once a common name) homestead.
Sydenham is just misspelt.

If we assume that our Cippa actually lived in a log house, which is not unreasonable given this was all woodland, then a log house should be our symbol.
marymck

Re: A SYMBOL FOR SYDENHAM

Post by marymck »

Any more news on this great idea Lee?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hi Mary,

yes it's still planned. Problem is, if there is a symbol which is associated with Sydenham, it makes sense if any signs go up in the high street to wait until after the high street improvements and probably until after the Greyhound is done.

Any symbol, no matter how good it is, any logo, no matter how beautiful or well designed can not change the truth. And the truth is that at the moment, much as I love it, Sydenham high street looks shabby. Branding the place is like sticking a plaster on an open wound.

So now is not the time. But it will happen.
marymck

Post by marymck »

I'll keep watching this space then, Lee. & Good luck.

Meantime, here are some folk might like to look at ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cameron_se ... 541425717/