Do you feel safe in Sydenham?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
rimlidas

Do you feel safe in Sydenham?

Post by rimlidas »

Hello there everybody.
Last edited by rimlidas on 16 Jun 2008 18:25, edited 3 times in total.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Ive never felt unsafe.

Neither has my wife.

Anything Could theoretically happen anywhere in London. The worst thing is to live in fear. Having moved here from Brockley, it definitely feels safer.
dickp

Post by dickp »

It's these kind of threads that REALLY make me wonder about the state of the british psyche...

So, here's the facts: the station area is always busy. So it's quite unlikely that's you're going to get mugged in a crowd. Then there's some shops, again where people congragate. Then a fairly quiet, well-lit, street which you'll be walking along for few minutes maximum.

It's not as if you'll be taking long walks down dark allys, or through dodgy council estates. This is the reality for hundreds of thousands of commuters across the country.

So, the hard facts for the area, based on the official government statistics: You have a 3.21 per cent change of being a victim of (any) crime in Lewisham. And bearing in mind that's the whole of Lewisham, including some REALLY dodgy bits. And you had a 2.53 per cent chance of being a victim of (any) crime in Bromley. Your area is on the border between the two boroughs, so is more likely to be closer to that of Bromley than Lewisham.

Is that REALLY enough of a difference for wanting to move?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

There have been a few threads regarding crime and personal safety and I did start a thread a while back which referred to the official crime statistics which you could find via the search facility, which you might find useful.

Overall I find the area reasonably safe, but it's hard to assess accurately. Taking reasonable precautions and having a few street smarts might be wise and help you feel more comfortable - even if you don't get attacked, constantly feeling that you might as you walk home would not do you much good. If you were to move to a different area, then how exactly would you know that it is significantly safer?
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

wow, it's saddening that anyone is worried about walking down a residential street alone at 5.30pm.

Unless you want to move out of London altogether, then I don't think relocating would make the slightest real difference to your safety.

As a young (well not quite THAT young any more, :wink: ) female, I'm happy to walk in Sydenham any time of the day or night. I've not felt any safer living in other areas of London, and in other areas I have certainly felt less safe.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

As an aside, I'd be interested to know if there is actually any evidence that it is less safe walking in the dark than in the daylight (at a comparable time of day) - is 5pm in winter any more dangerous than 5pm in summer, or is our fear of the dark unfounded?
mysti77

Post by mysti77 »

I've only moved to Sydenham at the beginning of May and have only walked home once late at night on my own (10pm) and I felt completely comfortable. I walked from the station, up kirkdale and then onto one of the residential streets. I have a couple of friends living on Lawrie Park and they always walk home late at night and have never had a problem. I think that not only in London but anywhere in the world you can be randomly mugged. I have a collegue at work that got mugged in broad daylight in Putney.
user100

Post by user100 »

A couple of points:

1. I can understand your apprehension. I think the risks are low but no-one can say they are not there, so it makes sense to exercise caution in any way that you can. However this is true everywhere in London.

2. I think it is generally less safe in darkness. Daylight robbery does happen but nightime robbery is more common I think. However summer evenings can be problematic as there are often more 'kids' hanging around, some of whom are looking for trouble. Sorry, but that's what I have experienced.

3. Please beware of posting too much detail on a website - you are going to get a stalker if you are not careful. You have given your email address which is going to get you a lot of spam, you have given your age and some indication of your daily movements - is that wise?

Maybe you should edit your post or get it removed.

Not trying to sound like doom and gloom - just please, be careful out there.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

good point user100, I'd be more worried about posting that much personal information on a website than getting mugged at 5pm, to be honest!
Annie

Re: How safe is Sydenham?

Post by Annie »

rimlidas wrote:Hello there everybody.

I am a 23 year old female and I have recently moved to Sydenham . I work 9-5 weekdays at Bromley and usually reach Sydenham at around 5-30 p.m. I have to walk about 4-5 mins to my flat from the bus station. Is it safe to walk that distance? I am not worried about now as the days are longer, but I am a bit apprehensive about winter when it gets dark really soon. Recently, I have also noticed a few signs warning people of muggins and carjacking. All this issues have me worried. Should I move out? Can someone please advise?

Thanks
What Bus Station?
rimlidas

@ user 100

Post by rimlidas »

OMG, I am even more scared now. How can I be so stupid? Thanks for your valuable inputs everybody, but I should'nt have given out my details like this.

I have been trying to delete this post or my profile but have'nt been able to.

Will moderators please take note that the personal safety of a user has been compromised and please delete this post?

:( :cry: :oops:
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

Oh great.

What am I going to do of an evening NOW?!

Back to the tellie, I guess.
Annie

Re: @ user 100

Post by Annie »

rimlidas wrote:OMG, I am even more scared now. How can I be so stupid? Thanks for your valuable inputs everybody, but I should'nt have given out my details like this.

I have been trying to delete this post or my profile but have'nt been able to.

Will moderators please take note that the personal safety of a user has been compromised and please delete this post?

:( :cry: :oops:
:D Don't stress out, only nice people look at this site--------------Oh but then there is ChrisF ?????

No, really don't stress Sydenham is as good/bad as anywhere else, just take the usual precautions when walking alone, my daughter is about the same age as you and travels home at all hours.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I have changed the OP username to remove disclosure of email. They can still login using that name and original password.

Posting emaill addresses is not a good idea. Spammers delight is the one certain threat.

Admin
dickp

Post by dickp »

the email address is still there, admin, in some of the responses....
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for pointing that out. Now sorted.

Admin
Bamy

Post by Bamy »

I was mugged about a year ago when I lived in Battersea. I was just walking home down the street where I lived in the early evening, but was unlucky that there was no-one around at that moment. You can't do much to prevent it if it's going to happen, but don't take risks - if there's a choice of a short cut through a pedestrianised area, or a longer walk on a busy street, take the long way - it literally takes seconds to mug a person, so it's not worth the quick route. I also transfer my keys out of my handbag to my pocket when I'm walking home now, so if my bag were to be snatched, at least I could still get into my house and not worry about changing the locks etc, which was one of the worst things about being mugged last year. The police told me the muggers were only after my phone, so don't chat on your mobile when you're walking down the street - that's asking for trouble!
FergussonFamily

Post by FergussonFamily »

Statistically, the worst borough for crime in London is Hackney. The worst tube line for muggings in London was the Northern Line, and the worst station was Tooting Bec. I know someone who was mugged at Tooting Bec Station, so that tends to support that, however, I lived in Tooting for a year and never ever felt unsafe, even at night.

On the other hand, at Penge East I had my car stolen and set on fire, and I've had to walk my young children past drug addicts shooting-up on the steps of Brixton station at midday.

I agree with leenewham, that the worst thing is to live in fear. You should take precautions; avoid certain places at certain times, don't flash your Rolex, and be streetwise, but you shouldn't worry unnecessarily about risks. Also, I think that if you look like a victim then you are more likely to become one. Muggers are less likely to target confident people.
paget76

Post by paget76 »

A couple of tips I was given by a policeman (although never needed to use them) - most muggers will try to engage you, by asking the time, for a light etc. Remember that you don't have any obligation to speak to someone you're not sure about - if you just ignore them and keep walking, most of the time they'll give up.

Also, if you do give them the time, keep eye contact by lifting your watch into your line of sight rather than looking down at it - makes it much harder for them to make a grab (either for you or a weapon) if you're looking straight at them