BBC invites candidates of Lewisham West to respond

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Lewkip

BBC invites candidates of Lewisham West to respond

Post by Lewkip »

The following is the text of the answers given by the candidates of Lewisham West to a series of questions posed by members of the public via an outside broadcast the BBC held in Lewisham earlier this month. The referring URL is : http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/news/genera ... west.shtml

Lewisham West Questions
Mr Peters writes:

I lived in Catford and got attacked outside house. The crime is really bad round here and people are too scared to go out at night. What are you going to do about it?

Jim Dowd for the Labour Party replies:
Firstly, I am extremely sorry to learn of the attack on Mr Peters and would send him every sympathy and hope that it was not too serious and that he is now fully recovered.

As a life-long (so far) resident of Lewisham I am well aware that crime is a an ever-present danger in inner-urban areas like ours. What we need to do is provide and maintain an unrelenting pressure on behalf of the law-abiding majority against those who choose - for there is a choice, not an excuse - to break the law.

It is a tribute to Archie Torrance, our local Police Commander, and all his staff that Lewisham has the lowest crime rates and is the safest Inner London Borough.

That is not to say that there is no crime - when was, or is it likely, that there will be none - but what we expect from our local police is that they are unremitting in their efforts to prevent it and to apprehend those responsible for it. If we demand these standards from them then the least that they can expect is the resources and ability to achieve it.

Since 1997 there are now an extra 67 police officers in Lewisham alone, and across the Met there are 3,433 more police officers than there were in 1997 with London Police numbers are at a record 30,111.

They are also supported by Street/Community Wardens in areas like Catford and the Community Support Officers in the Safer Neighbourhood Teams in Sydenham and Catford who provide powerful assistance to the work of the Police and the fight against crime.

When Michael Howard was Home Secretary in 1997 - and the Police Authority for London - he broke his promise to increase the number of police by cutting them by 1,132. Now the Tory plan to cut £35 billion, at least, from public spending would mean massive cuts to the struggle against criminals.

Despite what the Tories say now, you don't need to imagine what they might do in future in fighting crime and protecting the law-abiding majority of decent people, you only need to remember what they did when they were the Government.

Alex Feakes for the Liberal Democrats replies:
I'm sorry to hear that you were attacked outside your house. Crime and the fear of crime is obviously a key issue for many people and the Lib Dems recognise that this is due in part to the underfunding of policing and other community services over many years.

Our proposals at this General Election are to increase police numbers by 10,000 and to recruit 20,000 community support officers (which would mean around around 50 extra police and 100 PCSOs in this borough).

This would allow more police time 'walking the beat' and, most importantly, more contact time between the public and their police force.

Evett McAnuff for the Conservative Party replies:
For the past year we have been sending out surveys to the people that live in Lewisham West. The response has been very good, with the main concern being about crime. Some people have even explained about their personal experiences.

If elected I will be actively involved in making sure that there is a greater police presence on the streets of Lewisham West. The Conservatives have said that they will recruit 40,000 more police to tackle crime. When a greater police presence is on the streets I do think it will make a difference.

Jens Winton for the UK Independence Party replies:
The problem of crime is one I am only too aware of in my job as a Communications Officer with the Metropolitan Police Service. And it is not just a local problem. In 2004, serious violence against the person rose 15%, and other offences with personal injury by 24% in England and Wales.

UKIP seeks to put more policemen on the streets by cutting down on bureacracy and unnecessary paperwork. As a party we also support a comprehensive review on how sentences are handed down and would encourage relevant minimum and maximum prison terms.

If elected as MP, I would be required to resign from the police and therefore be in an excellent position to share my insights of policing in Lewisham within the Lewisham Police Community Consultative Group. This is the committee that holds public meetings to discuss policing matters which are important to the people of Lewisham.

But I would be duty-bound to honour operational details that I am aware of currently, and would not jeopardize the integrity of how the police function.

In addition, I would seek to aggressively publicize an implementation of a similar Compstat system successfully used by former Mayor of New York Rudolph Giuliani, to help fine tune the detection of crime hot spots to better forecast future deployments of police officers.

David Bonner writes:
I would like to know what is going to happen when Ladywell swimming pool closes where will the people go from the north of Lewisham?

This is an excellent question for which the Labour-run Lewisham Council have failed to provide an adequate answer!

All the leisure provision in the borough will be put under greater strain because of decisions made by the Council: there is a history of under investment in the Forest Hill Pools, the Downham 'Lifestyles' project will be at least three years late and now the Ladywell Leisure centre will close to make way for a school that's going to be in the wrong place!

As a consequence of all this, there will be whole areas of the borough which will not have easy access to leisure services for many years - your options will be to head north to Wavelengths in Deptford or south to the Bridge in Sydenham.

This situation was avoidable - the Labour administration in Lewisham and the government have made some very poor decisions - and I think they deserve to feel people's anger when it comes to the ballot box.

I am very concerned at the decision that has been taken to close the Ladywell swimming baths. I get the impression that the needs of the community have been ignored.

If elected I will challenge this decision and at the very least get an answer on what the proposed alternatives are, of which I understand their are none in place. My aim will be to make sure the needs of the community are take priority.

UKIP would like either an up to date Deptford or Forest Hill swimming pool to open its doors before the Ladywell Leisure Centre closes in 2007. This would enable as smooth as possible a transition for users.

It appears inevitable that the Ladywell Leisure Centre will have to make way for a new secondary school, and the promise to create a new leisure complex in 2010 is too far away, and subject to possible further delay. Which is why UKIP welcomes the news that the existing swimming facilities at Wavelengths in Deptford and Forest Hill will soon be part of a consultation to explore how they can be upgraded to allow lane swimming.

UKIP does ask better prudence this time round since the Ladywell facility recently benefited from a £1.8 million refurbishment, only for its lifespan to be cut in 2007. UKIP thinks that the people of Lewisham would like their council to make up for that mishap by promising not to close Ladywell until either Deptford or Forest Hill are upgraded to similar status.

Lewisham Council has agreed that the Ladywell Pools site is the best location for the extra secondary school that central Lewisham needs so badly. This has obvious and considerable consequences and I, together with my former Parliamentary colleagues in Lewisham - Joan Ruddock in Deptford and Bridget Prentice in Lewisham East - have discussed this in detail with the Mayor of Lewisham, Steve Bullock on many occasions.

Although Ladywell Pools will remain open until 2007, the questioner is quite entitled to ask what happens then.

Steve, presented a report to the Council Cabinet last week on "Physical Activity, Sports & Leisure Strategy (2005-2010)" upon which he had been working for many months. It includes significant recommendations with regard to Wavelengths in Deptford and Forest Hill Pools and was accepted.

Deptford/New Cross
The report recommends a feasibility study for building a new 25m pool as part of Wavelengths Leisure Centre. The study will be commissioned as part of a master plan for the development of Deptford Town Centre and the Giffin Street Area. This should happen over the summer with a further report coming in the autumn so that the detailed proposal can be agreed. The aim is to get this open before Ladywell closes in 2007.

Forest Hill
The report shows that it can be renovated to make the buildings safe and will give it at least a further 10 year life. Alternatively, a new structure could replace the current buildings, somewhat more expensively, but would clearly have a longer future and more modern facilities. The report recommended that local residents be consulted as to their preferences and this process will commence in June with the results being available in the Autumn.

Consequently, the least that will happen in Deptford is that they will have a new 25m laned swimming pool and that there will continue to be a swimming pool in Forest Hill, the precise nature of which will be determined by the wishes of local people. All of this is in addition to the facilities that the Downham Lifestyles project will provide.

Rosetta Cashmere writes:
Why are they closing the age concern office in Catford when we are council tax payers? How would you help us?

What do you plan to do for pensioners in the area?

I am very concerned at the proposal to close your office in Catbird. I have a lot of in-depth knowledge about the valuable work that you manage to do, and the service that you provide to the people that use your facilities.

If elected I will be actively involved in getting some answers as to why your offices have to close and what are the alternatives. I do respect the hard work that all the older and senior people have put into Lewisham West, and I fully agree that all pensioner households should be given up to £500 of their council tax bill and have their state pension linked with earnings and not prices.

UKIP is saddened to learn of the challenges facing Age Concern's operations in Lewisham. It is a charity that has provided crucial support for the elderly in the borough and is facing a funding crisis at this time as it has had to close its information and advice drop-in service. Unlike a Government department, it has no direct call on the council tax paid by residents of Lewisham.

But the elderly community is at the forefront of our national manifesto to quit the European Union: We aim to convert the current £30 million per day that British taxpayers give to the EU by immediately increasing state pensions by £25 per week. We also seek to reinstate tax credits on dividends paid to pension funds, adding £5 billion a year to their value. As a further measure to correct an injustice: we would restore full pension rights to expatriate pensioners whose pensions were frozen when they left the UK.

We call on Lewisham Council's Community Sector Unit (CSU) to review the way support is offered to the elderly across the borough with a view towards identifying and streamlining the needs, experience, expertise and geography of access to help. According to the CSU's recent annual report, we note that just over £1 million has been made available or pledged to nearly twenty organisations across the borough in the care of our elderly between 2002 to 2004.

UKIP would like to see a transparent commissioning procedure that would seek maximum benefits from the usage of such funds, which could help start the rationalisation, and consolidation of the support our elderly citizens receive and deserve. Such a review may pave the way for Age Concern Lewisham to resume its drop-in service.

Age Concern Lewisham moved from very cramped and inferior accommodation in Brownhill Road to new and more spacious offices in Catford Broadway in May last year and I was delighted to attend the official opening together with the Mayor of Lewisham, Steve Bullock.

However, the organisation then ran into financial difficulties, in part because of the expense involved resulting from the move. Both Age Concern itself and many of its clients and members, contacted Steve, my then Parliamentary colleagues in Lewisham - Joan Ruddock in Deptford and Bridget Prentice in Lewisham East - and myself asking for help. We discussed the matter at length with Steve and senior Lewisham Council officers who, after detailed negotiations with representatives and officials of Age Concern Lewisham were able to agree a package, including cash support from the Council, which has safeguarded its future. All involved hope, and believe, that this has now put them on a firm footing.

I have checked with the Mayor just this afternoon (12/4/05) and he assures me that this remains the case. I hope that this is helpful in explaining a somewhat complex picture.

In truth, I don't know why the Age Concern office is closing, but I share your concern as they provide an important source of support and assistance to many elderly people across our area.

Whether the closure is due to a cut in the government's or council's grant, I'm not sure, but I do know that this government has not given pensioners a very good deal: there were a few gimmicks for pensioners in this year's Budget, but don't forget that this is the same party that a couple of years ago awarded pensioners a derisory 75p a week pension increase!

The Lib Dems are planning to aid pensioners in a number of ways. Firstly, we will immediately increase the basic pension by over £25 a week for pensioners over 75, with other pensioners to follow as soon as we can. Secondly, we will introduce free personal care for the elderly so that they won't have to sell their homes to pay for care that they would otherwise get for free if they were in hospital - we've done this in Scotland where the Lib Dems are partners in government, so it is feasible and affordable.

And lastly, we would axe Council Tax and replace with a system that is based on your ability to pay - this would benefit many people, like pensioners, who are on low fixed incomes.
Nick Long

Post by Nick Long »

Nick Long Green Party Candidate reply

I would however suggest that community action to tackle crime is the way forward - one idea is 'home zones' -radically redesigned community neigbourhood streets where local people take back their street through radical traffic calming -reclaiming the street so local residents and neigbours are able to relate to each other -chating over the garden gate, children playing in street and adults tackling and challenging anti -social behaviour by being often out and present in the street.
Ladywell pool.
I fully support the campaign to keep this pool open and have been along to meetings of the campaign to keep the centre open. My lad when attending Holbeach School in Doggett Rd. often had swimming lessons at the pool. Many other schools in the borough also use the pool The centre is also used for meetings, training and other social events. Its closure will be a real dent in local provision for leisure and sport in the heart of the borough.
Age concern office
I fully support older people being able to organise and campaign in the borough and would support moves to allow them to keep open their office