A shop in that happily sells alcohol to under-age people

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Disko

A shop in that happily sells alcohol to under-age people

Post by Disko »

My friend was in a shop near to Penge East Station on the weekend and they were selling alcohol & cigarettes to kids who looked 16. My friend asked the store-keeper if he was going to ask for ID, but he said he didn't have to. There is a sign in the shop that says you have to look over 21 to buy alcohol. The shopkeeper said 'we take business as it comes'. When my friend told the shopkeepers that they could be in trouble with police, they just laughed.

I think selling alcohol to kids is very unfair on the residents of the area, because the chances of crimes being committed increases.

Does anybody know what we can do? Is there any action we can take on the shop owners?

Thanks
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I would have thought giving the local nick a ring would be the best option - or mention it to a copper if you see one on his beat.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

These people will be very interested in hearing from you:

Trading Standards
London Borough of Bromley
Bromley Civic Centre
Stockwell Close
Bromley
Kent
BR1 3UH

t: 020 8313 4830
f: 020 8313 4450

Consumer Advice: 020 8313 4800
Howard Staunton

Post by Howard Staunton »

... and this is their e-mail address.

second thoughts, best not put their e-mail address on the forum but here is a link to the relevant webpage.

http://www.bromley.gov.uk/environment/t ... _to_us.htm
mosy

Re: A shop in that happily sells alcohol to under-age people

Post by mosy »

Disko wrote:My friend was in a shop near to Penge East Station on the weekend and they were selling alcohol & cigarettes to kids who looked 16. My friend asked the store-keeper if he was going to ask for ID, but he said he didn't have to. There is a sign in the shop that says you have to look over 21 to buy alcohol. The shopkeeper said 'we take business as it comes'. When my friend told the shopkeepers that they could be in trouble with police, they just laughed.

I think selling alcohol to kids is very unfair on the residents of the area, because the chances of crimes being committed increases.

Does anybody know what we can do? Is there any action we can take on the shop owners?

Thanks
I'm afraid you have to be aware that kids under the legal age can get alcohol just by asking their older mate to buy it for them. Most shopkeepers are really very careful these days as they are aware of the massive recently introduced fines they could be faced with. Have you been into the shop yourself? (I note you are referring to a conversation where you weren't present.)

Your worry was that alcohol-induced crime might increase, I think, yes? It would be difficult to show in any crimes that any alcohol had been bought from the shop you mention. If under-age people are intent on or disposed to committing crimes, I suspect they will anyway, in my thinking.

If actual crimes are being committed, then these should be reported of course whether subsequently found to be alcohol related or otherwise.

What I'm trying to say is that nowhere in London (or anywhere else for that matter) is safe - you kinda have to get used to that and take more care where you can. Selling alcohol to under-age kids won't change that.

Sorry if not much help - just my perspective.
scott.l.hamilton

Post by scott.l.hamilton »

I have to say that this story surprises me. I use this shop in Penge East frequently and have always found them to be friendly and responsible shop keepers. I don't know the story and the facts of this situation as I wasn't present but if true it is out of character for them in my experiences.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

scott.l.hamilton wrote:I have to say that this story surprises me. I use this shop in Penge East frequently and have always found them to be friendly and responsible shop keepers. I don't know the story and the facts of this situation as I wasn't present but if true it is out of character for them in my experiences.
I'm not sure which shop he is refering to - remember there is a shop on the sydenham side of the station (indeed there are a couple) and one on the Penge side.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I anonymised the OP's reference to a specific shop for, I hope, understandable reasons. Can we keep it that way please. Otherwise the discussion is relevant and welcome.

Oh and there is another general thread on underage drinking I have moved from the Somerfield threat to Town Pub (!) here: http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16862

Admin
Disko

Thanks

Post by Disko »

Thanks for your help. The shop in question is always quite friendly and efficient which is why I was also quite surprised to hear about this incident. Anyway, my friend is going to take the appropriate action and hopefully they'll start obeying the laws soon.

Adios