Morning muggings

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
TimA

Morning muggings

Post by TimA »

Has anyone else noticed a rise in morning muggings? A friend of mine was mugged at 7.30am on Lawrie Park Road last week and this morning a guy got mugged at knife point on the path between Dulwich Wood House and Sydenham Hill Station. Apparently a few commuters got harrased by a gang of four hooded gentlemen on their way to the station.

T.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Whereabouts on Lawrie Park Road? What day?

Has anyone else noticed that scaremongering e mails appear every so often, often with information on which is either unproved or unfounded?
TimA

Post by TimA »

It was Monday 30th June at 7.30am – half-way down Lawrie Park Avenue (not Lawrie Park road, sorry my mistake) walking towards Westwood Hill/Sydenham High Street on the way to the train station. 2 youths walked past him then they reappeared with a guy on a moped who was swinging his crash helmet at my friend's head. They got his laptop, two mobile phones and his watch.

I'll get him to take some photos for you next time he gets mugged since you obviously need more evidence.
davegr

Post by davegr »

There also appears to have been a stabbing in a fight between 2 groups near the junction of Crystal Palace Park Road and Westwood Hill Monday night.

What gives? I was recently musing how free from this sort of crap Sydenham was.
:cry:
lbere

Post by lbere »

Hi, my son was nearly mugged at 7.20am two weeks ago at the bus stop at the bottom of Sydenham High St. The only thing that saved him was the bus turning up. Two boys on bikes. We reported it to the police just incase someone else was unlucky and was mugged. Apparently they go out at this time in the morning as lots of school kids are going to school. I used to worry about him coming home in the evening but now its all the time.
davegr

Post by davegr »

Sorry to hear that. All mugging is bad but it's especially upsetting when it's youngsters that are the target.

The only consolation for me is that I've lived in all parts of London -Hounslow, Richmond, Wimbledon, Hendon, Bow and feel Sydenham/ Upper Norwood is the safest place I've ever lived in .
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please - people are not keeping to the guideline that all specific crime reports MUST BE SOURCED. That is you witnessed them, you can say who witnesed them or there is a verifiable report we can link to.

We have crime in Sydenham. We have also had a number of crime reports posted on STF which, on investigation, have been based on rumour and untrue.

I'm sure you all agree we need to fight real crime and not imagined crime. Please help by always referencing the source so people can make their own judgement.

Admin
lbere

Post by lbere »

Fine, my son told me that he has was nearly mugged, is that good enough?
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

What does "nearly" mugged mean? (not being facetious, just wondering what happened)
lbere

Post by lbere »

Well, my son tells me that the two boys approached him and asked 'what he had for them' he said 'nothing' they then made him jump up and down to 'hear' if he had anything in his pockets, then then got off their bikes, and luckly the bus pulled into the bus stop, and he jumped on. God knows what would have happened if the bus had not turned up at that time.
My son then said that from the bus window he seen them approach another boy.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Stealing lunch money takes a sinister twist hey? Well, at least he wasn't hurt.

I have to say (and I'm touching lots of wood as I type this!), I'd echo Dave's comments in that I've lived in Harrow, Kilburn, Wimbledon, Acton, Hertfordshire, Surrey... and generally I think Sydenham feels very safe comparatively, as a woman who walks home on her own after dark quite a lot.

The thing is, that once one bad occurence is reported, it makes other people repeat other stories they heard about something else bad happening... and it snowballs from there, making it seem like the sky is falling in. When in reality, crime is probably no higher than it has been in recent years, it's just a spurt of hearing more about it before it all calms down again.

(fingers crossed :? )
davegr

Post by davegr »

Admin-this was witnessed by 2 of my neighbours who spoke to the police that attended the scene.
davegr

Post by davegr »

Unfortunately it does get scary when it is on your own doorstep.

Generally I think the area is safer than many parts of London including some much more affluent areas.
TimA

Post by TimA »

Admin - I spoke to the man who was mugged near Sydenham Hill Station this morning while he was waiting for the police to arrive.

He didn't look like a liar.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tim etc,

Relax, if you saw it, or it happened to someone you know - then that's OK - its sourced. But when it goes through a third party or overheard in a pub - that is a recipe for misinformation. Some, but not all, the above reported incidents in a way in which no-one else could tell the difference. That's all.

Admin
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

tim, apologies for doubting your thread - it just happens that every now and again a new poster appears, and the first post they make is about a mugging or a supposed murder, and how violent the times are that we live in.

truth is (in my opinion) it was much more violent around here about 20 years ago, than it is now - although i will certainly be more vigilant on my morning walk to the station.

the recent stabbings in london (sad as they are) are occurring at no higher rate than they have for the past 10 years - in fact, if you believe the statistics, violent crime is actually down.

take the media hysteria recently about the (again very sad) suicides in south wales - from the way the red tops (and the rest of the media)
reported it, you would have thought that every other teenager in the area was committing suicide, when, in fact, the teenage suicide rate in that area is no higher than the average in the uk. sad but true.

all the big cities of the world attract the best and the worst of human nature, and london is no exception. there is little we can do about it; we have quite a lot of coppers about these days (although you are unlikely to find one on lawrie park avenue at 0730).

the problem is that kids these days think the answer to the problem is to carry a bigger knife than their opponents.

when you see the way that governments of the world react to what they laughably call 'defence' issues (ie. by arming themselves with bigger and more effective weapons) then they hardly set a good example to the rest of us, do they? (do as we say, not as we do).

anyhow, i digress, and once again apologise for doubting your posting.

shalom.
poppy

muggings

Post by poppy »

Apparently Dulwich Village has its own police force, which includes many plain clothes police who basically stop anyone who looks out of place in the area.

I wondered if anyone knew why they have this? Does the Dulwich Society help fund it for example?

I know many of the people they would deem out of place and therefore maybe up to no good probably a permanent fixture on our high street but it seems a bit unfair if crime prevention is given priority there over poorer areas like ours!
bensonby

Re: muggings

Post by bensonby »

poppy wrote:Apparently Dulwich Village has its own police force, which includes many plain clothes police who basically stop anyone who looks out of place in the area.
I didn't really want to comment on this topic; even if there has been a notable rise in the number of thefts in the area then it does little good to spread a bit of hysteria. All that should be passed around is usual crime prevention advice that is relevent anywhere...

However, the idea that Dulwich has "its own police force" is utter rubbish. They may have a neighbourhood watch scheme or even a local volunteer patrol (though I've never heard of them or come across them) but the notion that they are "police" and stop people is dangerous and laughable.

Whoever told you this may have witnessed the police on a pre-planned operation which would be different.
poppy

morning muggings

Post by poppy »

My friends who have just moved to Sydenham after living there for two years told me this. I can't confirm if it is true, it is just what they told me. I was asking if anyone knew about this, that's all!
bensonby

Re: morning muggings

Post by bensonby »

poppy wrote:My friends who have just moved to Sydenham after living there for two years told me this. I can't confirm if it is true, it is just what they told me. I was asking if anyone knew about this, that's all!
sorry- re-reading that I sounded a little harsh.

There isn't a private police force in Dulwich.