Sydenham - world of the beautiful people

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sydenhamboy

Sydenham - world of the beautiful people

Post by sydenhamboy »

I know we've brought this up before but Sydenham's demographic is definitely changing. I ran in the Asics 10k London run thing on Sunday and caught the early (for a Sunday) 7:55 and was amazed at the amount of young, fit, pretty(!) Sydenhamites waiting for the same train. Again - unbelievable that most of the high street refuses to cater for an area clearly taking up the overspill from less affordable Dulwich, Clapham etc.
In fact (sorry for long text) as I was training for above run I passed a Jam Circus bar (trendy, relaxed and packed) in the Brockley/Crofton Park area. That's what we need to replace boarded up pub near the roundabout.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

eugh - no trendiness please....
poppy

beautiful people

Post by poppy »

Sydenham Boy the people who run Jam Circus are supposed to be building a place on the high street, over the bridge near Kirkdale Bookshop. Work was supposed to start this summer, but I wonder if the credit crunch is going to hold things up?
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Ooh.... never been to Jam Circus, but that sounds good....

Sorry Bensonby, I like trendy! (as opposed to pretentious, pretentiousness is not good)
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

dingy pubs and real ale please!
poppy

beautiful people

Post by poppy »

I used to think dingy pubs were ok when all I wanted to do was get pissed. But now I am a mother of one and soon to be two, who rarely gets out (sob!), the environment is really important as is the food because I am sloshed after two glasses of wine now!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

There are enough Dingy pubs to please, not enough businesses to please the section of local people who go elsewhere to spend their hard earned money.

Those that do have been successful recently. The time is right.

Problem is Sydenham has a poor image to anyone who doesn't live here. Everyone turned up their noses when I said I was moving to Sydenham (except the police officer I spoke to who was very reassuring).
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Trendy puubs just translate to inflated prices. With an economic downturn prices are more important than ever...

Also there aren't enough decent pubs in sydenham - the range of beer available is atrocious. I have to go into town if I want a pint of mild :(

Sorry - I'm a bit of a beer brat.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

It's been said before but there are quite a few dingy real ale places that already serve that market. And I love a pint of real Ale myself - but it was a sunny evening and the Jam Circus had its huge windows open and it looked really inviting ... so: really good if there is one coming to Sydenham. The Dolphin is constantly busy so we need another decent boozer at the other end. We can start plugging the gaps in the middle when the credit crunch subsides in a couple of year.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

See this all depends on your definition of trendy. Trendy to me is clean, open, bright, comfy seats/sofas, decent food, and an equally good selection of cocktails, wine and beer. Prices don't have to be skyhigh, inflated prices = pretentious and like I say, I don't think trendy has to be pretentious.

Anyway, will continue to hold out in hope of an economic upturn followed by pubs that I wouldn't be nervous about going into without a big burly male to protect me...
mysti77

Post by mysti77 »

natbeuk wrote: Anyway, will continue to hold out in hope of an economic upturn followed by pubs that I wouldn't be nervous about going into without a big burly male to protect me...
Agreed 100%

You tend to not need big burly men with you when u go to 'trendy' pubs. Much more intimidating for a girl to go on her own into a regular pub where there are tonnes of men
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

There is room for a trendy bar, a nice family pub, possibly another gastro pub and more besides in the area. Currently you get virtually nothing in between aside from the Golden Lion which is the closest thing to a normal pub we have. I love the woodsman and their Sunday Lunches, but i'd like more variety.

Just because one 'trendy' place opens doesn't mean that you have to go in there or that you have to stop going to the other pubs in the area.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

I want to like the Woodsman, and I want to support somewhere that's clearly made some effort to smarten itself up, but whenever I walk past it is deserted and looking anything but welcoming...
Annie

Post by Annie »

mysti77 wrote:
natbeuk wrote: Anyway, will continue to hold out in hope of an economic upturn followed by pubs that I wouldn't be nervous about going into without a big burly male to protect me...
Agreed 100%

You tend to not need big burly men with you when u go to 'trendy' pubs. Much more intimidating for a girl to go on her own into a regular pub where there are tonnes of men

:o i'm sorry to hear you say that mysti,my daughter (20+)has for the last 4 years been studying for her degree in the local pubs, all she has even met with is polite conversation and has been totally unhassled and left to study, poor men always getting the brunt of it.( i'm all for big burly men though!)
Gaz

Pubs, pubs, pubs (but no bars!?)

Post by Gaz »

natbeuk wrote:I want to like the Woodsman, and I want to support somewhere that's clearly made some effort to smarten itself up, but whenever I walk past it is deserted and looking anything but welcoming...
It's not necessarily 'trendy' but the Windmill can be great fun (they've been having a lot of tribute acts in there on Saturday's at the mo). It's a very mixed crowd (both young and old, male & female) and has always been friendly when I've gone in there. Oh and the beer is good (and they sometimes have mild!).

Some other views:
The Woodsman is nice inside and the bar staff good, but drinks are v expensive. I agree that it is usu quiet though.
The Fox has been scrubbed up, but I wasn't keen on the clientale in there (too much f'ing, blinding and spitting for my liking)...
The Bricklayers Arms seemed a nice local.
The Golden Lion is massive (interesting beer garden) and the bar staff seemed nice (I only popped in for a quick pint whilst shopping one particurly hot day).
Dolphin: I can see why people like it but it does feel a bit too sterile for my liking (and quite expensive). Nice garden, but I haven't seen the fountains in full flow yet...

I'm still to try out The Railway and the Two Half's - anymore in the area that I've missed..?
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

The golden lion is definately the best pub in the area. It has character, a decent size, two seperate bars, a range of beers, a carpark, and a decent little patio garden.

Only downside is that its a bit steep with the prices....but I guess it has to be; its never packed (which is another good thing!)
TimA

Post by TimA »

My person favourite is the Dulwich Wood House. The beautiful people don't hang out there much though. Maybe DWH should arrange a bus from the high street for them?
mysti77

Post by mysti77 »

Annie wrote:
mysti77 wrote:
Agreed 100%

:o i'm sorry to hear you say that mysti,my daughter (20+)has for the last 4 years been studying for her degree in the local pubs, all she has even met with is polite conversation and has been totally unhassled and left to study, poor men always getting the brunt of it.( i'm all for big burly men though!)
Which pubs if you dont mind me asking, I'll be happy to have a look around and see how I feel there :) I was just saying how I felt based on looking in from the outside. For example, the one I pass every day opposite the bookshop is quite intimidating if I wanted to go in there with a girlfriend. New to the area so don't know any others but the Dolphin where I'd go with a female friend and no accompanying male. Would be great to hear some suggestions from the ladies here where they would go on their own/with girlfriends.
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

natbeuk wrote:I want to like the Woodsman, and I want to support somewhere that's clearly made some effort to smarten itself up, but whenever I walk past it is deserted and looking anything but welcoming...
I know what you mean - sticking wine lists and tea lights on tables does nothing for me. I'd like to know who came up with the idea of stripping everything out and painting the inside blue too... it just feels cold and uncomfortable in there.
poppy

pubs

Post by poppy »

I agree with posters who think the Woodman has obviously improved. But it is very plain inside and out and could be made to look so much more inviting. Some sofas in the front part would help (they didn't have any when I went which was quite a while ago I must admit). Maybe some plants outside.