Forecourt Displays and Licences

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
scott.l.hamilton

Forecourt Displays and Licences

Post by scott.l.hamilton »

After the Sydenham Assembly, the Council was asked to provide answers and responses to the following points:

Publish/Provide Forecourt License requirements and regulations. Also publish/provide list of traders which own their forecourt and who has current licenses in Sydenham.

With traders that have a license, the council has an obligation to ensure pedestrian traffic can flow smoothly on non-store or non-licensed property. The Council should remove “street furniture” or revoke the licence if a clear footway is not maintained.

And

Trader’s do have the right to display wares on their forecourts, but maybe regulations or guidance can be put in place to ensure “quality” displays.

For those that want to see/read the answers and responses to the above questions just follow the link below.

http://sydenham.org.uk/shop_displays.html

FYI, "sandwich" boards are allowed to be displayed as long as they are touching the building, they cannot be placed in the middle of the pavement or against the pedestrian railings.

Many Thanks to Admin for putting the information on this site!

Also, there were many other questions put towards the council and I will let you know the status of the other 14 questions / issues soon.
scott.l.hamilton

Update on additional points...

Following the Sydenham Assembly meeting on the 5th of June 2008, an action item list was prepared comprised of Near, Short and Long Term initiatives for the council to review and possibly take action on.

A brief summary is that out of 17 actionable items, the council states that currently:
2 are actionable (12%)
7 are In Consideration (41%)
8 are non-actionable (47%)

I won't list all of them here, (PM me and I will send them) but here are 3 that are not actionable according to the council....

1. Sydenham Symbol, added to local signs and street furniture.

Why Council cannot do this:
Lewisham Council has its own branding Policy. This policy does not allow for or accommodate the inclusion of “local” symbols on Lewisham Council signs or street furniture. A local sign with symbol may be created by traders or residents at their expense which welcomes people to Sydenham at entrance points and /or thanks them for their patronage upon leaving.

2. Greening of the Cobb’s Corner Roundabout.

Will not consider without secured TFL funding. Additionally, safety and maintenance concerns are cited as restrictions towards greening the roundabout.

3. Any form of funds or grants for local traders

There are no current grant schemes for shops in Sydenham nor are any planned for the future. The last round of grants for Sydenham was during 2000 - 2004 from the Single Regeneration Budget from Crystal Palace.

Opinions????
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hold your horses there about the Symbol, I'm in discussions now about it, there is no reason they can't do it, it just takes a decision. Brand guidelines change and adapt all the time, it's a poor excuse at best.
scott.l.hamilton

The "why the council cannot do this" is the council response, not mine, I find each "no" to be unreasonable as this is what a large majority of people want. The council works for the voters and should adapt adjust policies in a reasonable manner. Many of the action points were reasonable and feasable. The council just will not make the effort unless enough people lobby for change.

If you are talking to specific people regarding the symbol, then great (and could you let me know so we are united), but just so you are aware as of last week the response I received in regard to a symbol was "no".

BTW, we are on the same side...
SMOKEIT

Post by SMOKEIT »

i SEEM TO HAVE NOTICED A FEW HUNDRED GREEN ROUNDABOUTS ON MY DRIVE INTO WORK. THAT EXCUSE IS A B.S. I THINK IT IS IMPORTANT THAT ROUNDABOUT WHICH IS 6-8 METRE IN DIAMETER GETS PLANTED TO SOFTEN THIS AREA. THE BUILDING WITH RING ROSES
AND THE YELLOW AND BLUE ESTATE AGENCY ARE VERY UNINSPIRING TO SAY THE LEAST

THIS IS THE GATEWAY ENTRANCE!!!! ITS IMPORTANT THAT STRONG STATEMENT OF INTENT FOR THE HIGH STREETS REGENERATION IS MADE HERE!!

I GUESS WITH THESE THINGS THERE NEEDS TO BE SOME GIVE AND TAKE.HOW ABOUT A PUBLIC VOTE ON THE TOTAL NON ACTIONABLE ITEMS WHEN THEY ARE FINALLY RELEASED AND WE GO BACK WITH A 4 OR 5 THAT WE FEEL STRONGLY ABOUT FOR RE-NEGOTIATION AND A SIGNED PETITION.
SCOTT COULD YOU PM THE LIST THANKS
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

can you not post in capitals plse? It makes it look like you are shouting, and I have sensitive ears :wink:

Could local residents take it upon themselves to plant a roundabout? (with the countcil's blessing) It would be a nice little project, and low srub-like plants wouldn't need much upkeep...

I'd be willling to lend a hand in such a project...
SMOKEIT

Post by SMOKEIT »

sorry dude i am permanently on caps lock

i would be happy to put in a weekend of work and some squids. it should however be a well thought out idea and contempory design
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

How about some Guerilla Gardening, check out their website:

www.guerrillagardening.org
jackie

Post by jackie »

Funny you should mention 'guerilla gardening'. I read an article about it in the paper last week and I thought - that's just what we need in Tannsfeld Road at the back of Somerfield [soon to be Co-op?'] and on the opposite side where one lone rose bush is fighting a losing battle with weeds. Anyone interested?

Could we start a Sydenham 'Guerilla Gardening Group'?
castiron73

Post by castiron73 »

While you're at it, how about some guerilla branding?

Lewisham insist that every town in the borough has that disgusting blue and that childish gingerbread men crown plastered on everything. In 2005 they set the branding (see pdf here). I have to admit, the street signs they are phasing in don't look as bad as the old blue background ones, which have ruined parts of the Thorpes. But they still say Lewisham.

Why do they insist on this One Council nonsense? They are so anxious to be seen promoting diversity, but it seems only if it's racial.

Anyway, you could print up some vinyl sleeves to slip over the existing blue bins. Black or green, perhaps, with a Sydenham logo. Wouldn't cost much. Some strong glue would ensure they couldn't be slipped back off.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Could I suggest at the next Assembly meeting that we use the £10,000 locality fund to:

1. Green the roundabout.

2. Create a local sign with a symbol for Sydenham to be placed at Cobbs Corner welcoming passers-by to our great metropolis.

If the council haven't got sufficient pride in this area to provide even these two small symbols of SE26's future well-being, we'll have to do it ourselves.
scott.l.hamilton

I apologise in advance, but this is a long one..... please bear with it...

I agree completely that a local symbol and greening Cobb's corner are WELL within Lewishams capabilities. If they have to review their current policy, I am confident that more Pro's will be made apparent than cons by the community and (maybe) councillors. The project manager (s) for the TFL project seem to support the idea... so maybe some more vocal support from the community to the council will go a long way.

Since Castiron mentioned the Bins, the Lewisham Environmental Department is planning to replace all "their" bins (at least in the town centre). These are the plastic bins that are not "fixed" to the pavement (£200ea). However, this will not replace all of the bins, because some where placed in the town centre by Lewisham Highways. The Lewisham Highway bins are those typically "affixed" to the pavement. So, to get those replaced has to come from Highway's budget. One council, but not when it comes to bin replacement.

As far as the locality fund, that £10,000 is for the entire ward not jsut the town centre. In my opinion, they are dangling the locality fund in front of us as a distraction and asking us not to look "behind the curtains" (wizard of OZ reference ;) )

In several of the other action points, the council was requested to provide funds / schemes to traders and commercial freeholders to update / upgrade their shops. The specific requests are as follows:

1. Lewisham Council to provide complimentary funds to the £2 million TFL has allocated. Funding would be used to “rejuvenate” the shops in the consultation area to the same standard as the proposed street and sidewalk improvements.

2. Create schemes / grants which investors, traders and freeholder owners can apply to for support or sponsorship.

3. Funding for renovation and conservation should be made available for shops on Sydenham road as it is now listed as a conservation area.

4. Grants /Funds made available to successful trader to upgrade / update their shop upon application.

All of these point was answered with, "we currently have no money allocated for Sydenham Grants or Town Centre funding, nor plans to do so in the future. We gave Sydenham money in 2000 -2004 for shop fronts."

What I want to point out is that money was given in 2000 - 2004 from the Single Regneration Budget for Crystal Palace. This money, like the £2 million from TFL is not council money. When was the last time Lewisham made an investment in Sydenham? It is time the council and the councillors are held accountable. They should be struggling to find reasons why not to do something, not to find reasons why to do something.

On a final note, these are all actions that need to be taken and pushed through by the councillors and public lobbying. The TCM does not have the muscle to push these forward. As long as we blame her and not those with the power to cause change, things will stay as they are. I honestly feel she is a bit of a scapegoat / buffer for "those behind the curtain"
JCM3000

Re: Update on additional points...

Post by JCM3000 »

scott.l.hamilton wrote: Lewisham Council has its own branding Policy.
I live in Sydenham and in Bromley, why should Lewisham Council impose their branding policy on my home town?
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

JCM3000 wrote:I live in Sydenham and in Bromley, why should Lewisham Council impose their branding policy on my home town?
A good point; Lewisham can't, because Bromley wouldn't let them. Any such branding would have to begin at the Boundary Oak. This also applies, of course, along Venner Road, Newlands Park &c.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

JCM3000 wrote:
scott.l.hamilton wrote: Lewisham Council has its own branding Policy.
I live in Sydenham and in Bromley, why should Lewisham Council impose their branding policy on my home town?
Is that possible? The ward of Sydenham ends on the border of the borough.

Do you have grand dulsions of sydenham-ness!? :P
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Bensonby, Sydenham is not defined by wards. Sydenham was, and perhaps still is (and I know this sounds corny) more a state of mind.

The Crystal Palace (the building) was always referred to as "at Sydenham". There is no way that John Scott Russell would have considered his house was anywhere other than at Sydenham. The whole of the Lawrie Park estate up to Crystal Palace Park Road was considered to be in Sydenham.

The reason is simple; during the C19th Sydenham was the best-known, most wealthy and cultured settlement in the area, and people living on the outskirts wanted to be associated with it. Up to the 1860s even Forest Hill was described as "Forest Hill, Sydenham".
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Indeed, I was being somewhat frivolous. However, when it comes to branding and other "sydenham matters" then, in a modern sense, it is really only confined to the ward. However, broader "local issues" of course extend beyond the ward.
mosy

Post by mosy »

bensonby wrote:Could local residents take it upon themselves to plant a roundabout? (with the countcil's blessing) It would be a nice little project, and low srub-like plants wouldn't need much upkeep...

I'd be willling to lend a hand in such a project...
I'm thinking that for the council to give their blessing, they'd presumably have to take on the digging up of concrete and if volunteers dematerialised and it turned into a weed bed, the council would then have to remedy it, one way or another, as it'd still be Lewisham's entry to Sydenham's high street.

There'd presumably be health and safety issues as it'd be giving people leave to work on their property and wouldn't want the responsibility of people getting run over or injured.

Also, I can understand their reluctance, to some extent, not to spend money unnecessarily as I suspect more people will soon be defaulting on council tax payments in the current hard times, so thery'll presumably be budgeting for less money in the coffers also.

I wonder if there could be a compromise proposal - e.g. placing three planted horse troughs on the roundabout, which could be maintained by a council gardener? Noting the mammoth amount of effort that must go into the fabulous Wells Park gardens, it doesn't seem to be a lot to ask.

I know this would be "settling for less", but perhaps rather this than an "all or nothing" approach, where "nothing" seems to be ahead at the moment.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Mosy - I accept that we are in the first throes of a recession but I think we can surely expect more from our local authority than a few planted-out troughs.

Just how much money would it take to grass over the new roundabout?

If even something this straightforward is being rejected what is the point of the Sydenham Assembly? I have attended both meetings and was assured that this was a forum where the council would listen to our views and act on them. That simply isn't happening.
poppy

forecourts

Post by poppy »

Steve, so when did Sydenham become 'less desirable'. I don't think it is as such but it obviously wouldn't be considered in those terms you mentioned now.

I mean, house prices have been slightly lower than Forest Hill for example for some time.

Also, I agree we need to call on the council to do more for Sydenham, but is there any way local business could be called upon to invest too? They would afterall benefit from it in the long term if the high street was more attractive.

The curtains you refer to Scott wouldn't happen to be like the Narborhood Centre's 'grey' net variety? :roll: