Dodgy dealings in Fairlawn Park?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Howard Staunton

Dodgy dealings in Fairlawn Park?

Post by Howard Staunton »

About half an hour ago I walked into my living room and, glancing out of my window, noticed several items, of what looked like fast food wrappers and bags, being thrown from several windows of a parked car. The car had four occupants, one female and three males aged late teens/early twenties. A minute or so went by when a young man, who I assume had come from a neighbouring house, approached the car. One of the doors of the car opened and an exchange of small items took place, a quick handshake and that was that. My neighbour returned to his home and the car drove off. No more than a minute later another car pulled up. This vehicle was driven by a young women, she was accompanied in the car by two young men. About five or six minutes went by and then into view walked my young neighbour once again. He walked up to the open passenger window, since I was viewing from the opposite side of the car I could not see if anything was exchanged, however any exchange, verbal or otherwise, took less than ten seconds. My neighbour walked back to his house. The car drove off.

It is not the first time I have witnessed this same scenario, but previously I had not viewed it with suspicion. So, am I being overly suspicious? A nosey neighbour? Someone who should get a life?

Just as I was going to post this a third car has turned up, a few minutes later here comes my neighbour. He sits in the front passenger seat. Exits the car thirty seconds later. Returns home. Car drives off.
castiron73

Post by castiron73 »

It happens in a lot of places if you look hard enough, across the country.

Are you bothered by it? Not everyone is if it's discreet enough and I'm sure some of your other neighbours are glad of the local service...

If you are, and it certainly doesn't make an area look good, take a note of number plates and times and ask to speak to your local community police officers. They may raid your neighbour at some ungodly hour if they think it's worth it. A family member is a special and does it all the time.

That won't be half as discreet.

Even if they find nothing your neighbour may be less likely to be so blatant about it in future.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

Tough one. Surely if you look at the evidence of what your witnessed there isn't much there other than just the suspicion of something dodgy, you didn't actually see any drugs/money being handed over did you? I'll admit it sounds obvious what's going on but did you actually see it happening?

How often is this happening, every night or once a month? If it does bother you I think castiron73's advice of taking number plates down & times is good but be careful that your neighbour doesn't find out if you did report it as even if there isn't anything going on they wont be too happy. At the other end of the scale would you appear in court to testify what you saw?
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Whats the problem Howard has someone moved in on your patch? You should come to a quiet arrangement as to who has control of Sydenham's thriving Cannabis market. He's a puff dealer and before any Guardian readers start piping up and tell me to put produce some evidence of my assumption, get a grip.
catscratch

Post by catscratch »

As the OP has used his presumably real name and address here and aired his suspicisions in a public place, and thus is easily tracable, I would venture that he would have been better off keeping schtum, and at least his windows intact.
It may not be puff, and those dealer types play rough.
Howard Staunton

Post by Howard Staunton »

catscratch wrote:As the OP has used his presumably real name and address here and aired his suspicisions in a public place, and thus is easily tracable, I would venture that he would have been better off keeping schtum, and at least his windows intact.
It may not be puff, and those dealer types play rough.
Anybody looking for Howard Staunton can find him in the General Cemetery of All Souls, Kensal Green. He died in 1874.
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

Howard Staunton wrote: Anybody looking for Howard Staunton can find him in the General Cemetery of All Souls, Kensal Green. He died in 1874.
Was he done in by some big time opium dealers from Limehouse?
:lol:
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

take details and report it to the police.....not on a public forum :roll:
castiron73

Post by castiron73 »

Why the eye rolling, bensonby? Why shouldn't we report suspicious behaviour on a public forum - as long as, of course, no laws on privacy or slander are broken?

If Howard Staunton phones Crimestoppers they won't want to know as he has no hard evidence. The local police may take a note. But they are more likely to take action if more people complain. Call 999 if you see it going on.

This is a good place to raise awareness and perhaps (small hope) encourage other neighbours to speak out if they don't like what they have been seeing. It's safer than going door to door.

And the neighbour himself may see it and realise he's being watched. He may then deal from another place, which solves the problem for HS.

As I said, not everyone is bothered. Personally, I wish it was all legalised like the drink and tobacco industry, so the entire country could profit from the revenue raised, rather than just sellers of wanky sports cars and gold jewellery. Imagine the M&S adverts.

The dropping of litter that Howard Staunton reported annoyed me more.