Guerrilla Gardening

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sean

Post by sean »

Don't forget that the first meeting of the Sydenham Guerilla Gardeners is held tonight at The Dolphin at 8pm.

www.sydenhamgg.com
sean

Post by sean »

Many thanks to all those Sydenham residents who turned out for the first meeting this evening. A full report will appear on www.sydenhamgg.com by morning.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Sorry I couldn't make it! Boyfriend decided to go and break his foot (very unthoughtful of him) so had to be at beck and call...
biscuit

Post by biscuit »

1. Let's trust that people don't litter it. Not doing something because of what may happen seems to be the normal around Sydenham. Let's change it and deal with it if it happens.

2. The idea of Guerrilla Gardening is that you use what's already there, which means that you look for areas that already have some form of soil base.

Suggested Locations:
Station Approach
Outside Lloyd's Bank[/quote]

I love this idea of Guerilla gardening; the spirit of doing something like this for the greater good and dealing with any negatives IF they arise - shouldn't stop these wonderful ideas from happening! Hurrah! In a less upbeat tone however - I'm a real novice at gardening so would probably be a supporter in spirit rather than getting down to it. I still don't quite know what to do with my own front yard and am driven spare by bindweed which keeps springing up all over the place. :?
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Hi Biscuit,

Its great that you support the guerilla gardening. But you have the wrong idea if you think you need to know anything about gardening to get involved. To be honest its almost better if you don't - experienced gardeners can have very fixed idea about things, and seasoned gardeners will sometimes plant things that don't work and novices will have unexpected success.

Ok so no-one wants to waste loads of plants but there are people involved with a rough idea of what might work.

I think so far the general consensus is 'try it and see' rather than be too precious about what is planted where - and its good to learn from a bit of trial and error and have fun trying at the very least!
biscuit

Pink Guerilla

Post by biscuit »

HI Juwlz

Thanks for your supportive stance which is reassuring. Yeah maybe I can take part even with my "keen but not very green" fingers. I have an overgrown fuchsia plant which needs pruning if cuttings are needed at all. There's also tons of mulch in Homepark just sitting there (well it would be, wouldn't it?). I hope any further meets at the Dolphin about the gardening are posted in advance.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Hi biscuit

Glad you are reassured. A bit of fuchsia really sounds perfect actually. And the mulch too.

I'm a bit concerned that you might actually know mulch more about gardening than i do (terrible pun intended), AND you seem to know how to spell fuchsia (highly suspicious).

The time/location of the actual gardening sessions will not be advertised, but feel free to pm me or sean if it interests you.

As far as I know any news of future planning meetings will be posted on here or at the web addresses sean has given.
sean

Post by sean »

Information will be at www.sydenhamgg.com where there is also an RSS feed if your into that sort of thing.
There is also: http://www.new.facebook.com/pages/Syden ... 4635194180 if your on the face.
Plus news here as well.
biscuit

Post by biscuit »

Thanks Juwlz / Sean - will keep my eyes peeled. As for my spelling - early years of being the spelling geek at school finally paid off! :)
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

Gorilla gardening:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sean asked me to post. He regrets that due to a family crisis he is spending most of his time in Wales at the moment. Hopefully he should be back on the scene soon and things can start to happen.

Perhaps, like any successful guerilla group there should be a second in command to ensure success under fire, bush or whatever ...

Admin
biscuit

Post by biscuit »

Just love nork1's piccie of Mr Gorilla pottering about his garden. :)