Guerrilla Gardening

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sean

Guerrilla Gardening

Post by sean »

Anyone interested in joining such a team?
First job would be to list possible places around Sydenham that can be targeted.
I've also spoken to a business in Sydenham that 'maybe' interested in giving some funding but they wish to remain secret for the time being.
sean

Post by sean »

Personally I think that scent should be a large part of it along with colour rather than just green plants which councils use. It would be good to come home off the station and smell night scented stock filling the air.

From now until late October is the perfect time for Spring bulbs so let's start planting pretty quick.

Am also interested in hearing from people that actually want to come and give a hand rather than people just saying its a good idea.
sean

Post by sean »

Location suggestion:
Station Approach - small area of garden?!? on the right as your leaving the station.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Great idea, Sean - I'm all for Sydenham looking greener....

2 practical questions:

1. Who would maintain it and how often? It would get littered regularly with coffee cups and papers from rail users.

2. Would you plant bulbs into a raised bed or in pots? The recent Sydenham Road report identifies limited areas for growing trees/plants due to the infrastructure.

Best of Luck, I'd like to see this get off the ground....
sean

Post by sean »

1. Who would maintain it and how often? It would get littered regularly with coffee cups and papers from rail users.

2. Would you plant bulbs into a raised bed or in pots? The recent Sydenham Road report identifies limited areas for growing trees/plants due to the infrastructure.
1. Let's trust that people don't litter it. Not doing something because of what may happen seems to be the normal around Sydenham. Let's change it and deal with it if it happens.

1. It would be maintain by the people who want to get involved with this and from now until Summer would only be every few months then in summer every 6 weeks. If it's done to plan in the first place then it will need just a few minutes to keep tidy. And people in the group as they pass would be sure to go and visit the areas and may do a bit of deadheading then.

2. The idea of Guerrilla Gardening is that you use what's already there, which means that you look for areas that already have some form of soil base.

Suggested Locations:
Station Approach
Outside Lloyd's Bank
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

I think this is a great idea!
sean

Post by sean »

But are you going to help !
sophie

Post by sophie »

I think it's a brilliant idea and I am definitely interested in helping. Not much good at gardening but I would do my best. PLUS I make a good cup of tea!
M&P

Post by M&P »

I think it's a great idea, and would be keen to get involved, the suggested areas are crying out for a bit of TLC. It would just take a little bit of effort and everyone can benefit all year round, great idea.

P
jackie

Post by jackie »

I also suggested the idea on Thursday evening and would be very happy to help. Some of my neighbours in Tannsfeld seem keen too. The dumping ground by at the back of Carzone is just waiting for some TLC [must remember to email the council to collect yet another mattress that's just been dumped there...]
sean

Post by sean »

I'm talking to Admin about having a page just for this subject with all the information. I'll let you know.
poppy

gardening

Post by poppy »

I wondered what could realistically be done about the very prominent area outside Lloyds bank? It seems to be old tarmac or something with lots of weeds poking through? It would need to be dug up or a raised bed built over it, maybe? But I assume it's their land. So not sure how this works. :?
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

It would be great if something could be done about the small "wasteland" area next to Lloyds Bank. There's a bloke who stands their regularly, feeding pigeons, picking them up, stroking them etc. Pigeons are vermin and it's not exactly a good advert for Sydenham if the first thing visitors see when they get off the train is a guy covered in pigeons.
sean

Post by sean »

I have alredy contacted the bank and am awaiting their reply about them donating some money for plants and boxes.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Be very, very careful being spotted digging holes with a spade late at night next to a bank. Our plod do sometimes jump to conclusions ... Oh and if you are also packing a spray gun best make sure your will is in order :oops:

Admin
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

Interesting web site on the subject, getting plants might be the only issue I can see. There's also a couple of spots past the Dolphin, cant remember the road on the corner, little brick raised bed needs some tlc.

http://www.guerrillagardening.org/
sean

Post by sean »

I've already contacted a group from North London and have asked them if they can come and give us a talk about their experiences/problems.
sean

Post by sean »

I've set this up to deal with the future of this subject: http://sydenhamgardening.wordpress.com/
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

Not to rain on your efforts, isn't it better to keep it on this site where there's more traffic/people to generate interest? Just a thought anyway.

Did you hear back from the other group, be interesting to hear what they said?
sean

Post by sean »

It was suggested by Admin to start a blog page that he will display a link to from this site.