Bell Green Development - My letter to Lewisham Planning

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Graham73

Bell Green Development - My letter to Lewisham Planning

Post by Graham73 »

Dear Sirs (Lewisham Planning)

Bell Green Development – Sydenham

We are writing to you to express our concern and deep objection to the new development at Bell Green, Sydenham Phase 2 and 3.

Firstly we have just recently moved to the area and was horrified to learn that this development was being considered. As there is a Homebase within five minute drive or bus ride from the Sainsbury’s saver centre, we fail to see the value added to the life of local residents, of which we are one, should this development go ahead. All we can see is that traffic and pollution will increase dramatically, in a city that is already congested, it seems ludicrous to be adding to the problem.

We are also concerned with the effect to the local small business community. For too long, large corporate companies have been installing homogenous buildings with no soul, but large output to fill their coffers. The result of which is that people leave their local shops behind for the large convenience stores, without thought to cost, value or economic impact to the area. Local business will be hurt by this development, local business may have to close, and what will be the impact to Sydenham high street, empty buildings waiting to be abused as squats or vandalised, how will this effect the area and property prices and economic stability? I fail to see it helping anybody but Homebase and Sainsbury’s, two companies we’re sure will not collapse overnight if this development does not go ahead.

I would also stress my anger at yet another drive thru take away ”restaurant” being considered (probably McDonalds or Burger King). We live in a society that needs a celebrity chef to highlight the dangers of poor diets for our children, both at school and in the home, yet I am staggered that this council is considering allowing McDonald’s into the area, which is a pure Mecca to children. Children are bombarded with media advertising and are constantly pushing parents to take them there. Surely we should be setting example to London and the rest of the country by not building any more fast food “restaurants”

As you will tell from my letter we are totally opposed to this development and object to it both in part and full.

Yours sincerely

Graham Hall & Susan Carroll

Cc Sydenham Society
MP
Local Ward Councillor’s
Mayor