Lawrie Park Road to close

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
stuart

Lawrie Park Road to close

Post by stuart »

Spotted today on the 176 bus stop: "Lawrie Park Road will be closed on 8th June 2005 for upto 4 weeks..."

It would have been nice for Transco/LBL to have informed the residents. Or don't we count?
stuart

Post by stuart »

Lawrie Park Road is closed. Buses are supposed to go up Westwood Hill & down Crystal Palace Park Road.

But tonight I saw two 176s ignoring the diversion signs and cutting through using Lawrie Park Avenue. The road collapsed last time they did this. Arriva know this - yet they still literally cut corners.

What can be done to control these cowboys?
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

The answer is not a lot!

Lewisham has "urged" the bus operators to use the longer route, but I am told they cannot enforce this request. TfL is a law unto itself it would appear
back_ache

Post by back_ache »

I don't think the bus companys can be blamed for going doing Lawrie Park Avenue, it's wide enough!

The question is have Lewisham learnt from before and resurfaced the road with somthing stong enough for all the kinds of traffic that may use it.
Illuminance

Post by Illuminance »

I've been working from home recently and noticed the calm of LPR just minutes after they closed the road. It's great! Just like last summer; they should make it an annual event :D Funny how you don't notice all the background noise until it's gone.

Unfortunately LPA will probably fall apart again if heavy vehicles continue to use it as an unofficial diversion. It was originally built as a residential street and is not TfL-maintained; it therefore has a lower grade sub-base (the important structural bit) and top surface than the busier roads.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Illuminance wrote:I've been working from home recently and noticed the calm of LPR just minutes after they closed the road.
Yep - it is quiet - because nothing is happening!

Walked down to Kirkdale at 4pm. Not a worker to be seen. Just signs saying its going to last 4 weeks - and no wonder! The cutting of a major London transport link ought to mean round the clock working to fix in the minimum time. But even 8 hours a day would be nice.

This whole Transco thing seems to be a complete fiasco. Remember the reason they are doing it is supposed to be remove danger so speed should surely have been an imperative....

Or am I just a grumpy old man?