SYDENHAM HIGH STREET REGENERATION

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
GLOBAL THINKER

SYDENHAM HIGH STREET REGENERATION

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

I know I have mentioned this before, but walking up Sydenham high street this morning I was struck by the fact that Lewisham Council are wasting a golden opportunity to turn Sydenham into a showcase area. There seems to be a lot of activity in regenerating Forest Hill etc but we seem to have been left out of the loop again. With its transport links and affordable housing Sydenham should be the first place that come to peoples minds when thinking about a community area. Do we still have a town centre manager?? what do Sydenham traders think they can do to get people coming through their doors?? How many pound shops and takeaway establishments can one high street cater for?? We have the best website but the it seems the worst advert for Sydenham is its high street. Its depressing and unecessary. I couldn't make the forum yesterday but I'd be interested to hear any feedback from the meeting. All I seem to be reading these days on the STF are reports of crimes and punch ups outside pubs. Flippin heck!!
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

The Forest Hill, Perry Vale and Sydenham Forum is tonight at 7 pm at St George's Church at the Catford Hill end of Woolstone Road - so, Global Thinker, you haven't missed it - come on down!
fuzzy logic

Post by fuzzy logic »

I agree with everything you have said there GT ..... it's such a shame as the potential is fantastic. This isn't about making a fast buck on our properties and saying 'Ha ha look where we live' it's about walking out your front door and being proud of your high st and having a spring in your step.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Pat Trembath wrote:The Forest Hill, Perry Vale and Sydenham Forum is tonight at 7 pm at St George's Church at the Catford Hill end of Woolstone Road - so, Global Thinker, you haven't missed it - come on down!
I have put a instant report here: http://www.sydenham.org.uk/community_forum.html

I lost my pen so it was from memory and I may have missed or misquoted. Do correct/update here ...
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Fully agree with you GLOBAL THINKER. I actually found myself looking above the gaudy shops and signs last night and found myself thinking "look how lovely the architecture is". I mean, they really are very beautiful buildings in the main and my thought was "a bit like like Northcote Road just minus the actual shops" At the moment it's more like Wembley with it's everything under 99p but who knows, maybe in a few years the view at street level will be as impressive as the one's above.