High Street Mugging

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sean

High Street Mugging

Post by sean »

This afternoon a woman was mugged in the high street opposite the betting shop. I heard that she had just cashed her giro and was going into the corner newsagents when the attacker took her money off her. It was sealed off late this afternoon.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Source? All crime reports must be sourced or be deleted. Sorry, zat's the rule for everybody..

Admin
conejito

Post by conejito »

ha! - its funny how rumours start...

It was actually me that got mugged, and i am posting this here to offer a warning.

I was drawing a substantial amount of money from Natwest on the high street, about 4pm when 3 20 something black males walked in, stood in the queue, and generally were just hanging about looking shifty. I left the bank and walked up the high street to the corner shop to transfer the money.

About 5 mins later they followed me into the shop and tried to mug me but did not succeed after a big tussle and fight between them, me and the shop keepers (thanks a lot to them for their bravery) during which the shop was trashed, then they made off in a car waiting around the corner on newlands park road.

No one new that i was withdrawing money from the bank apart from the people in there at the time, so they must have been hanging about waiting for someone drawing out a large amount - so please be careful - i was lucky.

thanks for reading

L
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Sorry to hear that, L (but well done to you and the shopkeepers for not letting them succeed).

It certainly seems strange that they tried to mug you inside a shop, especially after previously being in a bank. Hopefully, there will be plenty of CCTV footage capturing them.

All the best,

Gaz
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

conejito wrote: I was drawing a substantial amount of money from Natwest on the high street, about 4pm when 3 20 something black males walked in, stood in the queue, and generally were just hanging about looking shifty. I left the bank and walked up the high street to the corner shop to transfer the money.

I am truly sorry to hear of your attack Conejito. I guess (whilst it might not please you to hear this right now) it's all the more shocking as it's really rather rare here in Sydders. The 'crime-map' states we've no real crime problem and in my opinion the crime we do have seems to definitely be perpetrated by the same groups of individuals all living within the same very specific enclaves within Sydders.

What confuses me most is that you were in the corner shop to transfer money? I assume you were using Western Union? When my friend who works out in KL needs to borrow some money I wire it to him. It's just that you clearly have a bank account and internet access - sorry if it sounds as if I’m lecturing and perhaps I've completely misunderstood.

I can't get my head around why you drew out a large amount of money to took it to a corner shop to transfer. Or is this a case of the benefit of hindsight? Anyway, you didn't ask to be mugged and as Gaz states the bank should have pictures of your assailants. I do so hope you get them!

This has been edited to try and make to post sound less bloody condescending which was not the aim
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

greag, where's this crime map so i can have a gander?
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Sorry about your experience. As everybody has said there must have been CCTC in both the bank and the bookies.
Glad they did not suceed but thry need to be captured and put away for a long time
conejito

Post by conejito »

thanks for the replies - yes there was plenty of cctv footage both in the bank and in the shop, the police also have the car registration.

i believe they saw me in the bank, and were going to get me on my way home or something like that, but when they saw i was using the Western Union they obviously thought they would try to get me there and then in the shop.

And in response to Greg, obviously i exhausted all other ways of doing the transfer, but the country, amount and method meant that it had to be done in cash. I would much rather have done it over the internet... i thought that doing it locally would be better than going into central London...

L
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Excellent news that you have the registration also L.

I hope you didn't think I was hinting that your actions were stupid, I was just trying to understand why you didn't wire it - I thought there might be a reason (one weekend the W/Union site went down for the whole 48hours and my friend was desperate so I used the corner shop with cash).

I must admit the amount of times I"ve walked out of a bank weighed down with money to pay a tradesman for some work means it's a mircale the same hasn't happened to me.

It's just luck I guess and I'm sorry to hear of your bad luck.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Please let us know if and when the Police apprehend these criminals and how long they get in prison
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

Sorry to hear about this conejito, hope you're ok. What goes around, etc... they'll get theirs.
I just hope if/when they do get caught they turn out to be the same little f***ers who jabbed me in the face a few weeks back. Scum.