Cicely Saunders

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
stuart

Cicely Saunders

Post by stuart »

In case you have not heard Cecily Saunders, founder of the Hospice movement, St Christophers, Freewoman of Lewisham and citizen of Sydenham died yesterday after a long fight against cancer.

I will put a tribute on the frontpage when I get back to the UK. If anyone would like to add a tribute please PM me.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

there was a small article in the guardian today, which, you would hope, will be followed by something more substantial in the weeks to come.

was she not also bestowed the title of 'Dame'?. it wasnt mentioned in the paper, but i think that she was. as you can be made a knight or a dame these days for acting and singing songs, it would be more fitting if she were canonised.

the work she did for the terminally ill, and their families, is incredible, treating them with respect and dignity.

there are a number of related articles you can find by searching on the web.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Cicely Saunders was definitely a Dame (awarded in 1980) and made a member of the Order of Merit in 1989. There are only 24 members of the Order of Merit at any one time in this country.

Have a look on the web at who else has been awarded the OM and one can appreciate the respect in which this great lady was held.

I am also pleased to say that she was a long standing member of the Sydenham Society. Our newletter is about to go to press, and whilst noting her death in our latest issue, we will be including an appreciation of her life in our Autumn edition

PS please note the spelling of her name - CICELY.