176 - Oxford Street Axed

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
admin
Site Admin

176 - Oxford Street Axed

Post by admin »

As from Jan 3rd the 176 will terminate at Tottenham Court Road station due to 'transport improvements'. No indication whether this is temporary or permanent.

Another bad cut in what was the former glorious 12 service - remember when it went all the way to Shepherds Bush?

Admin
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I think that this is because of a road closure near Tottenham Court Road tube station, due to the massive building work for the new crossrail station there.

Not sure if I'd want to go to Shepherds Bush anyway really :lol:
marianne

Post by marianne »

I rember when the 12 bus went all the way to Park Royal!
marymck

Post by marymck »

& the 363 from Crystal Palace to King's X. Now we have to change at Elephant & pay twice.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I too recall most routes were longer in the 50's and 60's but we have to accept traffic conditions are worse and shorter routes are probably with us for good.
For a journey to Shephards Bush would get then train and for most longer trips.
Buses are for shorter trips I think.
parker

Post by parker »

Ooh would be nice if it did do to Shepherds Bush, think of the new Westfiels Shopping Centre, if u wanted to do a bit of shopping you could all the way there on the 176 exploring the West End on the way there! :D
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

parker wrote:Ooh would be nice if it did do to Shepherds Bush, think of the new Westfiels Shopping Centre, if u wanted to do a bit of shopping you could all the way there on the 176 exploring the West End on the way there! :D
and spend all day on the bus...
Barty

Post by Barty »

This sort of thing has been going on for years, and in other parts of London as well.....I grew up in west London, where, amongst other things, the 223 which used to run between Heathrow and Ruislip through West Drayton and Uxbridge got split in half, the 105 which used to run between Heathrow and Shepherds Bush via Southall, Greenford, Perivale, Acton and White City got split in half, and the almost legendary 207 which used to go from Uxbridge straight down the Uxbridge Road thru Hayes, Southall, Ealing and Acton to Shepherds Bush now starts from Hayes and doesn't serve Uxbridge at all.
griffiths

Post by griffiths »

I think you may well find that the curtailment of the 176 route is permanent as TfL intend to reduce Oxford St. bus traffic by 10% this year and a further 10% next year.
Barty

Post by Barty »

parker wrote:Ooh would be nice if it did do to Shepherds Bush, think of the new Westfiels Shopping Centre, if u wanted to do a bit of shopping you could all the way there on the 176 exploring the West End on the way there! :D
Shepherds Bush is easy off-peak from Syd - just go by Southern Trains, changing at Clapham Junction.