Last week to vote for Mayow Park!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mummycat

Last week to vote for Mayow Park!

Post by mummycat »

With only 6 days to go - Mayow Park Needs You!

Mayow Park could shortly benefit from a significant makeover – but it needs everyone to play their part! The Mayor of London is giving 10 grants of up to £400,000 to London’s most needy parks to make them cleaner, safer, greener and nicer places to visit. The winners will be the two parks in each of the five London sub-regions (i.e. the south-east) which get the most votes.

Within the south-east sub-region there are:

Avery Hill Park (Greenwich), Camberwell Green (Southwark), Deptford Park (Lewisham), Dickens Square (Southwark), Maryon Park (Greenwich), Mayow Park (Lewisham), Parish Wood Park (Bexley) and Penge Parks (Bromley).

Since Mayow Park has been open to the public since 1877, a makeover is long overdue. A grant would help make it more welcoming by:
Adding new signage at entrances; repainting railings; restoring the Victorian drinking fountain; improving the children’s playground (incorporating natural features); improving existing wildlife habitats; adding new seating and bins.

In addition, there are exciting plans for Mayow Park to become a regularly used Recreation Ground once again. Since this was the original intention for Mayow Park, it would mean organised cricket and football lessons and matches for local people.

There are also new plans to create a place for young people to meet in the opposite corner to the children’s playground. This would give teenagers a place to call their own and to encourage them to meet away from the younger children’s area. We are also campaigning for a full-time park-keeper, toilets and a café/kiosk.

You can vote in the following ways:

Online at http://www.london.gov.uk/parksvote/

By mobile phone – text ‘parks’ and your full London postcode to 62967. This will automatically mean a vote for the nearest park on the shortlist to that postcode in the same borough.

Voting ends on 30th January at 5pm and you can only vote for one of the nominated parks.

Please vote and tell your friends and family (no age limit) to vote for Mayow Park! But please make sure that they live in the borough of Lewisham before texting.

Thank you, Friends of Mayow Park. :)
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

I'd love to see Mayow get an overhaul... it used to be a lovely place, now myself and my friends avoid it. A friend of mine lives opposite with a little girl, it'd be lovely for them to go in, but she avoids it as it can be dodgy, even in daylight. I've had a couple of experiences in there myself, and it's not somewhere I would rush back to, even just to cut through.

I think it's a real shame, and hope it gets it's much needed makeover! :)
Cheese Wotsits

Post by Cheese Wotsits »

I just voted for Mayow Park. I'd say that Home Park down the bottom of the hill needs even more help, but I rather see improvements in one of our local parks than somewhere else! hopefully we'll get it.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Thanks for your vote, Cheesy.

We're very lucky to have Mayow Park up for nomination as one of only 8 parks in South East London. Since there are 2 parks that can win within this sub-region, it means we have 1 in 4 chance of winning!

I agree, Home Park needs lots of money, love and attention. Hopefully this can change for the better by getting everyone behind their local park in 2009 and raising the profile for Sydenham parks. I want my children to want to use them more than Dulwich and Crystal Palace Parks.

Please tell all your friends and family to vote by Friday 5pm.
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

I voted and my wife voted at work. For Mayow Park that is.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Boris Johnson to reveal the results of the winners tomorrow - do hope Mayow is there :D
mummycat

3rd place

Post by mummycat »

Thanks for that tip, Cathy I had planned my day around the computer!

Unfortunately we came third :cry: - see my new thread....