Trains/Travel Disruption

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

From Southern's website (trains from LB):

XX:05 & XX:35 London Bridge to Purley via Forest Hill -calling New Cross Gate, Brockley, Honor Oak Park, Forest Hill, Sydenham, Norwood Jn, East Croydon, South Croydon, Purley Oaks and Purley-

From 12:20 20XX & 50XX London Bridge to West Croydon calling at New Cross Gate, Sydenham, Forest Hill, Norwood Junction.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SouthEastern say they are running stopping trains to Bromley (ie Penge East) till 23.55 from Victoria. And a near normal service tomorrow.

Southern, as Barty confirms, are early to bed at ten. They say they are aiming to run the fullest possible service tomorrow.

For those still drinking the 176 may still be running through the night.

Admin
poulet

Post by poulet »

My other half has just arrived at London Bridge and no sign of a 17:50 - the next train was down as 18:05 and absolutely rammed already. No other trains seemed to be running from platforms 8-15 so lots of people will likely head for the Sydenham train.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

poulet wrote:For people going on other line - the trains are running from Penge East / Sydenham Hill aproximately every half hour, but no info on the screens to say when they are due so you just have to sit, wait and hope!

they weren't running beyond bromley south all day - and weren't running this evening about 1600. I ended up getting a bus....
boon

Post by boon »

Gates at London Bridge are closed to prevent overcrowding. I made it in and onto the train, waiting to leave now. Not many people here, I've been on much more crowded trains.

So I'm happy, not sure about the people waiting outside though.
poulet

Post by poulet »

sorry, yes I should have said only between Victoria and Bromley South.
Howard Staunton

Post by Howard Staunton »

Suzee said,
Didn't dare try the train so left home after 9am, got a 75 to Lewisham and then DLR (after 15 min wait) to Bank. Was a slow journey but seated all the way and handy if you work in that part of London.
I, like Suzee, chose this way into town this morning, setting off about 9.30am. For those not familiar with the DLR it also stops at Herons Quay and Canary Wharf where it's possible to catch the Jubilee Line. It took me about an hour to get from Sydenham to London Bridge, I was seated all the way and it was a very stress-free journey. A good option if Southern & Southeastern are screwed up.

Howard
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

Gaz wrote: You literally made me LOL at work - which was a bit embarassing... :oops:
i hope you cleaned up after yourself.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Confirming what's been said already, Southern are planning to operate a normal service tomorrow.

There are expected to be a handful of cancellations as units are in the wrong place, but in the main, back to normal.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

boon wrote:Gates at London Bridge are closed to prevent overcrowding. I made it in and onto the train, waiting to leave now. Not many people here, I've been on much more crowded trains.

So I'm happy, not sure about the people waiting outside though.
Blimey, looks like I right lucked out there then! My boss persuaded me to walk back to LB with her and I got there at 1810 for the 1820. Platform was quite busy but not as bad as I've seen it and so got a seat and a nice fast train home (only stopping at NCG and FH) - wish they'd reconsider running the fast trains.
lambchops wrote:i hope you cleaned up after yourself.
PMSL - doh..! :shock:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

WEDNESDAY: Southern & SouthEastern are reporting all services are running with occasional cancellations because of out of place trains.

TfL report trams not yet working on Beckenham to Harrington branch.

Some paths are icy. Take care.

Admin
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

if you haven't yet headed out to the station, be warned that the PHG sidegate remains closed - save yourself the trip, esp. as Spring Hill and PHG are treacherous with ice.

In fact it's very slippery everywhere, much worse than yesterday.

Station steps are now clear, but platform 1 icey
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Just to add to that, Kirkdale is like an ice rink in places and Station Approach is bad too, especially at the top where it slopes the most.. be careful!
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

It would have been nice if people retreating back up Peak Hill Gardens bothered to mention to the people staggering over ice to reach the station that the gate was closed.

Every time that gate has been locked it amazes me that people let you walk past them without saying anything, even more so when you're not just wasting a couple of minutes but pointlessly risking life and limb on an icy pavement. :evil:
Barty

Post by Barty »

Flipside of that coin is the half-dozen or so people who came into the station whilst I was there on Monday not to catch trains, but to go over the footbridge and out the side gate.

Bensonby will surely agree with me when I say that entering railway property without a ticket or any intention to travel contravenes Railway Byelaws. I could have made myself a few grand if I chose to enforce them :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Disclaimer: Yes I was kidding!
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Weeble wrote:It would have been nice if people retreating back up Peak Hill Gardens bothered to mention to the people staggering over ice to reach the station that the gate was closed.

Every time that gate has been locked it amazes me that people let you walk past them without saying anything, even more so when you're not just wasting a couple of minutes but pointlessly risking life and limb on an icy pavement. :evil:
That's London for you.....

I got lucky yesterday as a man coming back from the gate told the woman just ahead of me that it was locked, so I overheard and was able to avoid an unnecessary trip down PHG. This morning I just assumed it would still be closed so headed straight for the main entrance rather than waste time.
boon

Post by boon »

Everything going through Sydenham to London Bridge seems to be delayed as of 20 minutes ago. Some by a few minutes, some by 30+, some undetermined (just "Delayed").
Barty

Post by Barty »

Did you notice anything going the other way, Boon? Any patterns?

Were, for example, all the Caterham trains delayed, whilst the London Victorias were okay? Or vice versa?
Barty

Post by Barty »

From Southern's website

"February 4th 2009

Southern is running a normal timetable today. However, we are encountering some problems, particularly between East Croydon and London so some services may be subject to short notice alterations, delays and cancellations.

Please note that there are emergency engineering works taking place currently between Crystal palace and Beckenham Junction. This is causing severe disruption to Southern services in the South London Area, producing a knock-on effect to some Sussex Coast services. We will be reducing the frequency of our Metro services to enable us to provide a full evening peak Metro service tonight.

London Buses are accepting Southern tickets on all reasonable routes.

We apologise for the disruption and any inconvenience caused.

For train times and train running information, please call National Rail Enquiries on 08457 48 49 50, visit www.nationalrail.co.uk or www.journeycheck.com/southern

Answering my own question then, I think that will probably mean the Victoria to London Bridge services are seriously delayed, wiuth knock-on effects causing minor delays to the LB-Caterham and LB-Sutton services that pass through Syd.

Another crappy late shift awaits.....
Barty

Post by Barty »

From National Rail Enquiries website

"The following incidents have been cleared Summary Description
CLEARED: Delays to all trains through East Croydon "

They most certainly have not been cleared