Train disruption Wednesday 18th

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Barty

Train disruption Wednesday 18th

Post by Barty »

An earlier fatality at Thornton Heath is likely to disrupt your journey home tonight.

There is massive disruption to services after the incident, at around 1310 today. Ironically it was the same Victoria to Ore service that was involved in yesterday's fatality at Balham.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Thanks for the 'heads up'
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

Im currently like a sardine on the 5.05pm that left early 4 some reason?? It can only get worse the further in2 rush hour it gets. Be prepared and good luck all.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Early? It was probably a late-running service that happened to go a few mins before the next one was due!

As I waited for a train home at East Croydon this afternoon, a 60-minute late First Capital Connect service for Bedford arrived, followed by the one that was due an hour later!

It's the poor guy's family I feel for. As well as my colleagues whose job it is to watch the CCTV footage of the incident to see whether he jumped or got pushed, and my colleague who answered the Help Point call from a frightened teenager who had just watched him jump.

:( :(
richpickings

Post by richpickings »

There was also some sort of incident at Charing Cross which shut all the platforms. I finally made it to London Bridge but am on very crowded (delayed) train to Syd!(8.15pm)
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

Barty wrote:Early? It was probably a late-running service that happened to go a few mins before the next one was due!

As I waited for a train home at East Croydon this afternoon, a 60-minute late First Capital Connect service for Bedford arrived, followed by the one that was due an hour later!

It's the poor guy's family I feel for. As well as my colleagues whose job it is to watch the CCTV footage of the incident to see whether he jumped or got pushed, and my colleague who answered the Help Point call from a frightened teenager who had just watched him jump.

:( :(
No, I kid you not Barty, it was the 5.05pm, still up on the board as being on platform 8, and that was what I got on. As it left at 5.02pm or something, people were asking each other 'is this the 5.05pm?' Very strange and confusing...

And yes of course, the fatalities are awful - I've been trying to find out more about them, but not got very far! :cry:
Ginge

Post by Ginge »

If it was suicide then its bloody selfish, buy some pills, that way you don't mess up everyone elses day.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Balham on Wednesday was a convicted murderer who'd escaped from a local psychiatric institution (soure:BBC news)

There were two further fatalities yesterday, one was a woman at Thornton Heath, this at present is believed to be a suicide, and a man at Whyteleafe, who fell onto the track and was electrocuted.
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

Ginge wrote:If it was suicide then its bloody selfish, buy some pills, that way you don't mess up everyone elses day.
You ARE kidding surely!??? :? If it was suicide, then I doubt that a desperate woman going through who knows what and feeling she could not cope with life anymore would think to herself, no I won't jump here at this time of day as I may cause some commuters a few problems getting home and Ginge will think I'm selfish... :?: :?: :?: :?:

Bloody hell!!!!! :x
Ginge

Post by Ginge »

Kidding I am not, just because someone has a crap life and wants to end it dosen't give them justification to mess up hundreds (thousands?) of peoples commute and in the case of the unfortunate train driver, affect them for life as well.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Not to mention of course several witnesses on train and on station, who were forced to see what happened.

Police, paramedics, some rail staff, even perhaps the train driver, will have received training on how to handle a fatality, psychologically speaking. Most members of the public will not have, and it is these people I feel sorry for the most, those who witnessed it then went on with their lives, who may take days, even weeks, before they fully comprehend what they witnessed and freak out about it.
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

I'm with Ginge and Barty on this one. It is a terrible situation and one I hope I never have to witness. There are ways of 'ending it all' without the devastating impact affecting more than those who are closest to that person. In that way it is a selfish choice - but when you have got to that stage, rational is not how one would be thinking.

We had just got back from Amsterdam, where we experienced trains and trams all leaving at the allotted time - on the dot - it was very impressive. The minute we stepped foot on Gatwick train station it started .... delays, delays, our train up to East Croydon finally turned up 20 minutes late, then proceeded to sit outside Redhill station for what seemed an age because of 'congestion'. At that stage we were given to understand that the fatality happened on the Wednesday so were a little concerned to be feeling the impact over a day later....
Barty

Post by Barty »

I can't remember what happened on the Thursday - but your delays would certainly not be due to the fatalities.

If the announced reason is "congestion" - this usually means your train was delayed by other late running services coming from different areas into the same piece of track at the same time. They can't all go through at once, hence we use the "congestion" announcement.
Frangipan

Post by Frangipan »

I'm currently stuck on a train outside London bridge after someone has jumped off a bridge in new cross gate. Power is off and I've been here for half an hour so far. Don't try to travel out of London bridge for a while if you can.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Yes, I was on the 18.20 which stopped a way out of London Bridge and couldn't go any further so the driver ended up taking us back into London Bridge...
jasonsmith

Post by jasonsmith »

What should i do to entertain myself on a long train journey? I am going to spend 10 hours in total tommorow on a train, any ideas on things i could do, bearing in mind i get travel sick easily!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Look out of the window and relax
Read a book or newspaper.

Count the people who have not got their feet on seats
Get anoyed at other people so called personal music.
Barty

Post by Barty »

I amuse myself with games on my i-Pod or DS Lite, or a good old fashioned puzzle book.

Incidentally, you might get a better response to your thread by starting a new one so it's easier spotted, and putting it in the Town Pub rather than the Town Hall :)