CINEMAS

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
yay!gosydenham!

CINEMAS

Post by yay!gosydenham! »

If you don't have a car (as I don't at the moment, yes, well guessed:-)... where on earth is the nearest and most accessible cinema? can someone let me know. I've managed to get to Croydon quite easily by bus.. but are there any others a bit nearer? It's really lacking isn't it! Still! (read thread from 2004!). Brockley Jack has a film club.. does anyone know how this works? I mean in terms of the legality and costs.. It'd be great to have a film club round here.. What do you all think??
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

The Odeon in Beckenham. You live in Lawrie Park - get a 227 from Crystal Palace Park Road - it's 10 minutes away.
dickp

Post by dickp »

Beckenham is local, but it's also old and cramped.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

There is a film club in East Dulwich:
http://www.paradisofilm.co.uk/

I've not been to it myself despite being on its mailing list so I don't know how good it is but it seems to offer a fairly wide selection of films.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The Paradiso club looks brilliant.

Shame we can't have one in Sydenham...the old sorting office would be good for that sort of thing.

Or perhaps when they refurbish the greyhound or the back room at the Golden Lion?
lbere

Post by lbere »

Gosh, this does look good. Has anyone been to it? Any information on? ie how many seats etc?

This would be great in SE26, the lure of drink and cake, what more could a girl ask for and it will not involve cars or buses, just shank's pony!!!!
yay!gosydenham!

Hey that looks great! Thanks Thomas.. I might give it a go. If anyone has been or goes in the near future please let us know what it's like. I'm with you Ibere on the drink and cake front. Sounds great! (fed up of the oversized overpriced wells of popcorn they sell at the bigger cinemas..). Does anyone know how a film club works in terms of cost and set-up.. I'd be up for running one here in Sydenham or nearby if I had the slightest clue how! Re Beckenham.. I'll check it out and thanks for the bus tip (I am new to Syd so very much appreciated). Thanks all:-)
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

I found a site that has a listing for local film clubs in London
http://panther.pipeten.co.uk:8080/bffs/ ... ma/london/

It also has a resources page for setting up a club
http://panther.pipeten.co.uk:8080/bffs/ ... dvice.html

& this pdf leaflet has some great advice (it's more complicated than you think!)
http://panther.pipeten.co.uk:8080/bffs/ ... ociety.pdf

Main thing is to find a venue & equipment. Here's a copy & paste of their 'road map' to give you an idea of what is involved :shock: ....
• get yourself organized - form a small working group
• find a venue - this will have a strong influence on what follows (section 3)
• decide what sort of film society you want to be (section 4)
• at this point you might decide to organize a test screening (BFFS may be able to assist you with this, with loan equipment, for example).
• at the test screening, gauge the interest for the venture and sign up some volunteers to form a committee.
Once you have a venue and a committee, you have to get down to detailed planning:
• take a skills audit, and decide who will fill each key role
• decide what projection technology you are going to use, and if you need to buy equipment, develop plans for obtaining funding
• work out how much you need to make, to at least break even over your first season, and let this determine your ticket prices
• book the venue dates for your first season
• choose your first programme, book the films, publicise it, and run it.

Simple eh! If we can't find a venue what might be cool is an open air screening in the Dolphin's garden in the summer, maybe around the time of the arts festival.

What do people think?
Dulwich Paradiso

Post by Dulwich Paradiso »

If anyone wants to know more about Dulwich Paradiso then just email me on info@paradisofilm.co.uk

We're a community-run film club that's been going for around 15 years or so and we welcome people from anywhere in South London!

Our next season starts Tues 3 March and I'll be there if you want to come and say hello. Full details of this season's films are on www.paradisofilm.co.uk

And if anyone's thinking of starting a film club in Sydenham I'd be happy to help out with ideas. The more film clubs the better!

But if you can't wait for Sydenham Paradiso to get off the ground just hop on to a 176 (or 185 from Forest Hill). We'd be pleased to see you!

Neil
lbere

Post by lbere »

Hi, this sounds great but can you give us more details, i.e. do we need to pre book? how many seats are there? etc etc.

Cant wait for the cake and drink!!

Many thanks
Dulwich Paradiso

There are 50 seats so best not to leave it too late to be sure of a place. We don't take advance bookings so just show up in the night. Full details of all this season's films are at www.paradisofilm.co.uk. Hope to see you there!
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Do you realise that Lewisham is the only london borough with no cinema? An utterly disgraceful state of affairs.

I was astounded when I first read that "cinema in Lewisham is thriving" on LBL's website! Sadly this piece of mis-information has been taken down. but it's still available in cache:

http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:SBK ... d=16&gl=uk[/url]
yay!gosydenham!

A film club in Sydenham sounds like a great idea to me. Ronski.. thanks so much for getting all that info. I'd love to be involved although it sounded like a huge undertaking.. but if Dulwich Paradiso is up for helping out that would be amazing.. There may even be opportunities for sharing costs which might help you Dulwich guys out too? I don't know, but that would be good if we could work it that way.

Does anyone know of a good venue? I know a great little room in Forest Hill, upstairs at The Hob, opposite the station, but in terms of Sydenham.. not sure.. If I have any expertise it's really on the publicity and marketing side. Anyone interested in overseeing the technical side? I will definitely come along to Dulwich Paradiso sometime and say hi. It'd be great to see the place and to meet you too and see how it all works... Thanks for the offer of help.. really appreciate that.

Anyone else interested in the committee, pls post here. Perhaps Lewisham Council would like to give us some money to support the venture.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I think the Woodman might be a good place for a film club.
Dulwich Paradiso

If anyone is interested in starting a film club you'll find helpful advice on the British Federation of Film Societies website http://panther.pipeten.co.uk:8080/bffs/ ... dvice.html

However, all these factsheets can make it seem more complicated than it actually is. All you need really is:

a) 3-4 people who want to do it
b) a suitable venue
c) some basic equipment
d) a bit of publicity (which is not too difficult thanks to forums, local magazines etc)

To stay within the law you'll also need to hire the films from official distributors and pay a license fee - ie you can't just go down to Blockbusters and hire a film to screen. But that's simple of arrange and something we could help with.

Also, although Lewisham doesn't have a cinema it does (or did) have a really active Film Officer working for Lewisham who I met a while back and seemed really good and might be a source of support http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/ContactUs/Co ... iative.htm

Hope all this helps!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Is the Sydenham Arts Festival (July) going to feature any films? May be this could be an opportunity to test the market?

Admin
Marathon

Post by Marathon »

Hi guys. This sounds like a very exciting project and I am more than willing to help in any way I can to get it off the ground. I have no experience in running a cinema club, but can offer enthusiasm and my time.
yay!gosydenham!

Enthusiasm is good! I'll try to meet with the Dulwich Paradiso guys (if they'll let me!) and draw up a list of skills required and get an idea of costs. Excellent news that there is a good film officer at Lewisham. Let's hope (s)he's got some dosh;-) or a spare projector. Oh alright, advice will do;-)

Will report back. Watch this space.. I don't want to lose you guys!
parker

Post by parker »

I think its absolutely ridiculous the fact that Lewisham doesnt have a cinema, there really has been a lack of investment within the borough hasnt there? ...I mean so many boroughs, think of neighbouring Croydon and Greenwich have large entertainment and retail complexes like Purley Way, Croydon Town Centre, Greenwich Peninsula, Cosmopolitan Greenwich Town Centre etc, there doesnt seem to be any reason for people to visit Lewisham and most people in Lewisham usually go to into the boroughs of Croydon or Bromley for such activities mainly because its safer and their boroughs have actually improved things, i mean no where in South London will be perfect. Lewisham is becoming very very miserable with not many reasons to live, work or visit. The fact it is the only borough without a Cinema implies something is wrong, i mean really... it does! Leets realise this. No one seems to want to invest despite it being a cheap place to develop in. Why doesnt Lewisham Council try to make it better, its ridiculous that Lewisham doesnt have many good places to live with exception to Blackheath, i think a Cinema is one of but least of Lewisham's problems. Put Lewisham back on the map!!!!!!
sophie

Post by sophie »

I saw recently that they show films at Forest Hill library once a week. It's a DVD film so not a recent release but in credit crunch times might be worth considering!!!