Beltwood House Update

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
SydenhamHillAndy

Beltwood House Update

Post by SydenhamHillAndy »

Hi all,

Beltwood House in the news again. This time in the Evening Standard.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/ ... article.do

Enjoy!
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Blimey! When I was walking past that place it was always the muggers I was worried about - never thought of the risk of being mauled by an alsatian.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

This is scarcely news. It was mentioned on this site on 26 Nov 2008, and that reference came from an article published in 2007.

What interests me is why, after 18 months, this suddenly become newsworthy.
SydenhamHillAndy

Post by SydenhamHillAndy »

Steve, not sure how that adds to the discussion frankly. It made the BBC, Sun, Telegraph, Mail, Mirror, Standard yesterday. What's new is that she is now wanted, hasn't paid the fine, is likely to lose the house, and all these papers are covering it. It may not be news to you but I found it interesting.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

The point, SydenhamHill Andy, was that little has changed since the Summer of 2007; she was a fugitive then, and the house had been repossessed. Those interested in the house (and I know several) were well aware of this. What interests me is why have all these news agencies suddenly become interested?
simon

Post by simon »

I thank Andy for his post as I bought a dog from there which I now think of as rescued.
The news part Steve is that she is on the run and being chased, possibly extradited. Last reports were that the house repossessed by a bank, but that looks in doubt now.
Like you, I wonder why it was run by the papers yesterday, but there is perhaps a new angle.
To be honest I feel a bit guilty because when I went up there to get a dog I had grave reservations, which were confirmed in subsequent meetings and conversations. I did nothing at the time and while I'm glad the animals got sorted out, she also had a young son. I fear for him.
coll

Post by coll »

Like Simon I bought a dog from her, yes rescue is a better term. I was not surprised by any of this news as the more I went up to look at the pup, I eventually brought home, the more I got to see how strange she was. At first she seemed eccentric. I soon realised that the woman was fairly disturbed. Sadly, crazy is a better word. Her house was in shambles, very messy and falling apart. Ironically she asked me if I wanted to rent it out to have a party. Apparently she did that a lot!

I think there were some exaggerations about the amount of animals. From what I remember she had 3 German Sheppards that were ‘guard dogs.’ She had a couple of racing greyhounds that had two litters of pups. I also saw one horse and a pony. She didn’t have any control of them and often her dogs would get out. People would return them to the house and she would get furious saying, ‘don’t they realize they know where they live? They just want to run around.’ When I picked up my pup I asked where the rest of the litter was and she said many of them were missing. My pup was very sick when I got her home and I’m really glad we got up her out of there.

When the RSPCA took the animals, I contacted them and said I would want to take any of the remaining litter when they went up for adoption but never heard anything.

She does have a wonderful little boy and I hope that he’s ok.
mrs b

Beltwood.

Post by mrs b »

I was living here in 1972/3 with most of the girls that were training to be Dental Therapists at New Cross hospital. The 1st year students mostly stayed here until the schools closure in 1983. I think it was used for this purpose from late 60.s.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Move over Liverpool! Looks like I need to add The Beatles as yet another bunch of Sydenham musicians made good. That's according to this South London Press twist on the animal rescue at "Le Funk Royale".

I think Steve has already buried this misconception. Enjoy: http://tinyurl.com/aglpyj

Admin