The Woodman

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

The Woodman has closed.

Last drinks were on Wednesday.
Willy

Post by Willy »

that would explain why there wasn't very much booze on the shelves when I was in there on Monday night (for the first time), thought it was just badly run!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Sad but I am not surprised. Service not great when I called in recently.
It was a lovely local in the early 70's with two separate bars. The made in one bar about 73.
I believe Lewisham has now decided that a pub can only be a pub and cannot be used for any other use ( hence Rutland ). Thta , if correct , is certainly good news.
simon

Post by simon »

Was in there on Tuesday night and was the only person there for a while. perhaps someone will take it over but I very much doubt it, as least for a while.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

News of the Woodman's closure is disappointing, but not exactly surprising. It's tough running a pub, especially right now, and there are quite a few other pubs close by, so it wasn't easy for them, but I thought that the Woodman was actually pretty good - better than most places round here - but it always seemed like no-one seemed to want to go there!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Shame, their Sunday roasts were brilliant.

I wanted to take my parents this weekend and had to go to the Perry Hill instead which was a tad disappointing.
poppy

The Woodman

Post by poppy »

If they had a put a little more effort into its appearance inside and out maybe that would have helped.

Even though they tarted it up a bit it it was no where near the standard of the Dolphin or Dartmouth Arms in terms of decor/ambiance which both seem to be doing brilliantly.
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

Also, I think they gave up a while a go and that put off any new customers after their first visit.

Shame, I liked it there, especially the roasts.
parker

Post by parker »

There are too many pubs in Sydenham, and most of them are old dives which should be closed anyway. We need more restaurants, wine bars and coffee shops!! 8)
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

heh.

if you are fishing, i will get the net.
Keef

Post by Keef »

Even though they tarted it up a bit it it was no where near the standard of the Dolphin or Dartmouth Arms in terms of decor/ambiance
Seriously? I think the Dolphin is like drinking a beer in a Starbucks. Horrid place.

Agree the Woodman was a bit dark and cold feeling, but I am gutted about it closing! We didn't go there loads, but if we fancied a Sunday Roast, it was the place we'd head for, and I always found the staff to be so friendly and helpful. For me, it was the nicest pub in Sydenham.

Hard times though, and a few Sunday Roasts isn't going to keep a business going.

I find it sad, because places like the Dolphin will do well, and boozers like the Railway will always be okay, but if you want something in between the 2, meaning a nice proper pub, but not one were you are stared at when you walk in, you're hard pressed to find one.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Keef wrote:Seriously? I think the Dolphin is like drinking a beer in a Starbucks. Horrid place.
fantastic analogy...
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

I'm gutted it's closed - am guilty of not going to the Woodman enough over past few months due to pregnancy but now I've popped was looking forward to spending some time in the beer garden with the little man during the summer. Oh well, bit more exercise walking to the the Dolphin.
Hopefully someone will take the pub on in it's current condition in time for the summer.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I was on the bus on my way home last night and I saw lights on in the Woodman...new landlord perhaps? Anyone have any news?

I live down the other end of Sydenham but use the Dolphin regularly, instead of going for a pint in town I often go there, if it does re-open people should do the same there as I think it's a lovely looking boozer.

G-man
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

it is slightly eerie when you see lights on upstairs. As i understand it, the woodman still remains to be sold/let. I assume the former Landlady is still around as i occasionally see her car parked close to the pub.

It was a loss for upper sydenham, when the Woodman closed but i hope someone takes it over soon and gets it back into action.
rodney

Post by rodney »

The owners of The Woodman have now displayed a "To Let" sign outside the pub, so at least we now know that it is owned by Admiral Taverns (one of the country's big pub-owning companies).

I phoned them this week to see what their intentions are, and it seems they are genuinely hoping to find new tenants to re-open the pub.

Let's hope so. The Woodman could be a great pub again. Unfortunately the previous people ripped out all the traditional decor and thereby alienated all the people who like to drink in comfortable 'pub-like' surroundings. Instead we got dining chairs, dining tables, sofas, turquoise walls, etc. The whole point of pubs is supposed to be that they are NOT like restauarnts, but the distinction is getting increasingly blurred these days.

It will be grim if the pub stays closed for the next couple of years, as has happened to the Greyhound.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

here here rodney!
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Thanks for the update Rodney. Since yesterday the pub is now advertising for bar and waiting staff. The adverts are on the inside of the windows, so its probably not agency adverts and more likely to be from a potential leasee of the pub.....i hope.
Great Bustard

Post by Great Bustard »

Admiral Taverns own the freehold on the Woodman

There are a few things to sort out but the deal is as good as done.
The Woodman will be open very shortly 1 - 2 weeks.

The new landlord is a Scottish guy who also has another pub. He does not intend having a pool table but may have a couple of machines.

The ads are from the new owner who now has the keys to the premises.

I had a drink with Lou (ex Landlady) last week so this is from the horses mouth so to speak.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

cheers for the update GB. It will certainly be interesting to see what the new Landlord intends doing with the pub. And only a couple of weeks away from opening....Hmmmm