Travel Lodge for Penge

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
blue&whitewizard1991

Travel Lodge for Penge

Post by blue&whitewizard1991 »

Did anyone see the article about Travel Lodge announcing an opening of five new London hotels one of which was for Penge? Did i imagine this? If not, does anyone have any further details, like where will it be?
lbere

Post by lbere »

Croydon Rd, I think.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

It was mentioned on LBC this morning, an office block conversion apparently.
simon

Post by simon »

Do you think it could be that dirty great, half let (if that), building where they sell cars out of the ground floor and car park? If so it would make sense I guess as nobody is buying cars right now. But it will be a very big Travel Lodge. Still would be nice to have a half decent hotel nearby and good for the local economy too.
Barty

Post by Barty »

The Nissan garage?
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

Excellent. That's my holiday sorted.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Are you sure this was not intended for April 1st. A hotel in Penge . Why for gods sake most people cannot get away quick enough.
Perhaps they are going to offer cultured evenings in The Appauling Arms
Words Fail me
Barty

Post by Barty »

After the initial shock, I thought of things like away fans coming to Palace matches, or athletics fans coming to meets.

Makes perfect sense really. I would say that the Croydon one they opened a couple of years back has done so well, they wanted to open another one in the area.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Good points Barty but surely that is what The Queen's Hotel, Upper Norwood is for.
lizzie

Post by lizzie »

I imagine they are looking for sites along the new East London Line, with the 2012 olympics and beyond in mind, improved access to central london etc. Ideal site for a decent budget hotel - central london in 20 minutes via PE or PW.
blue&whitewizard1991

Post by blue&whitewizard1991 »

lizzie wrote:I imagine they are looking for sites along the new East London Line, with the 2012 olympics and beyond in mind, improved access to central london etc. Ideal site for a decent budget hotel - central london in 20 minutes via PE or PW.
Yeah the CEO said on the news this morning that the Olympics were a primary reason for the new sites being opened. Given its proximity to CP stadium, then it would be an ideal site. Let's hope others use it as well and there is a bit of a boost to the local economy.
Cllr John Getgood

Post by Cllr John Getgood »

The hotel received planning permission several weeks ago. It's on the top two floors of the building with a lift shaft on the outside. The other attraction of the site is plenty of parking available. There's a lack of hotel accommodaiton in Bromley borough. As well as the uses identified in other posts, there is an expectation that this one will serve business visitors to Bromley who are currently lodging in Croydon. There will be no restaurant in the hotel so we are hoping it will provide a boost to our High Street. Travel Lodge also have a policy of recruiting and training staff locally. A win for Penge. Many other areas of the borough are miffed that Penge got it first!

Cllr John Getgood
Penge & Cator
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thanks Councillor

Is the Bromley Court no longer there. I did not realise.?

No restuarant , leaving hotel residents to the delights of The High Street. One wany of making sure they do not stay twice. One look at The Appauling Arms.

I hope they employ local staff that will be good . I suspect they will end up employing recent immigrants which will not help local employment. I trust you will keep an eye on this and keep them to their word.
simon

Post by simon »

Eagle, are not recent immigrants local people too?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Very true but people born here or British Citizens need the work in these hard times.

When 2 million plus unemployed surely our PM is correct British jobs for British workers.

Why is it wrong to support British workers. I am sure that in 98% of the worlds countries they would think it quite normal.
Cllr John Getgood

Post by Cllr John Getgood »

Yes, the Bromley Court is still there but is insufficient in terms of numbers and operates in a more affluent market. We have at least 2 decent restaurants in Penge, as well as the Bridge House. Our hope is that the Hotel will help these establishments as well as encourage more. We hope.

Cllr John getgood
Penge & Cator