Postmans trolleys

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
davegr

Postmans trolleys

Post by davegr »

Does anyone else have a problem with postmen chaining their trolleys to lamposts and leaving them there for weeks on end?

Anyone know why they do it? ....and how to stop them-its an eyesore

:x
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I have no problem with it but wonder why .
Surely the whole point is to walk the load from the sorting office
davegr

Post by davegr »

It's odd.

Unless they get dropped off there with all the post and they load it up. But I've never seen them actually with the trolley when delivering.
noangel

Post by noangel »

Yeah I have problem with postmen's (or post people's to be more pc) trolleys chain to lamp posts. Actually I'm more baffled by it than it being a problem. It's a regular occurance down Silverdale. They appear to get locked up for weeks rather than the odd night, which I find baffling. Surely the postie needs his trolley every morning and surely if it's left over night it's in danger of being stolen. Mind you, they're usually left in the proximity of the old sorting office so maybe it's a mini protest against it's closure :D

Before Xmas, there was one locked up by the alley to the station. It's was there so long it gathered leaves and other debris; I thought it had been abandoned. By the time I decide to report it to the sorting office it was gone. Now, 4 months later, a new one has appeared.
davegr

Post by davegr »

Someone at the local post office reckoned it was to do with them needing to have some sort of collection box to leave things. Apparently they need planning permission to do this so they leave these trolleys chained to things.

Sounds it bit mad to me. Royal Mail need to come into the 20th Century - this is a joke.
parker

Post by parker »

It's quite bad, but i find this really amusing, dont know why but i do.

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/r ... s_trolley/

Hopefully this wont happen nearby, can you imagine the smell of plastic?!
davegr

Post by davegr »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Barty

Post by Barty »

I would imagine anyone trying to get past one of these things with a pushchair, wheelchair, etc would have enormous problems.

Is there not some byelaw about blocking the pavement which is being contravened here? Cars aren't allowed to park on pavements, and shops and street sellers cannot block pavements. How come the Post Office can?

It wouldn't be so bad if they actually used these things to deliver letters to the right place.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

Barty wrote:Is there not some byelaw about blocking the pavement which is being contravened here? Cars aren't allowed to park on pavements, and shops and street sellers cannot block pavements. How come the Post Office can?
You will probably find that the Royal Mail, since its origin in 1516, has had a special dispensation to park its waggons and coaches upon the public thoroughfare in poursuivance of the Royal business.

Just a thought :lol:

Regards
Chris
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Barty wrote:Is there not some byelaw about blocking the pavement which is being contravened here? Cars aren't allowed to park on pavements, and shops and street sellers cannot block pavements. How come the Post Office can?

Not a byelaw. It's obstruction of the highway. That is, if someone has their movement impeded by it. I am not aware of any dispensation for the Royal Mail, especially considering its a private enterprise and not a crown service anymore...
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

honestly, what's the big deal?

the postie brings you your mail...so let him park his trolley where it's good for him.

ffs.
Mr T Total

Post by Mr T Total »

lambchops wrote:honestly, what's the big deal?

the postie brings you your mail...so let him park his trolley where it's good for him.

ffs.
You seriously irritate me with this post. Are you some kind of liberal beatnick? The posties leave them there to annoy us decent middle class tax and rate payers. And I bet they are all ginger and mess with children!
Barty

Post by Barty »

Park it there while he does his round, yeah.

Leave it there for weeks at a time.....no.
davegr

Post by davegr »

I'll tell them they can park them in your front garden then lambchops.

:roll:
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

yeah, well done.
sophie

Post by sophie »

I think some must take them on their rounds as I've seen this happening. If only the sorting office on Silverdale was still open ...
Cllr John Getgood

Post by Cllr John Getgood »

These do seem to be proliferating and have been seen by Penge East Station in my ward, so I took some advice.

This comes from the Perry Vale sorting office: The Post Office should certainly not be leaving any postman’s trolley out overnight. The office is making enquiries to see if anyone from this sorting office is doing this, however, he thought it highly unlikely. He also said that The Royal Mail’s Integrity Policy stipulates that the security of the mail allows for a postman to temporarily chain his trolley to a lamppost for a maximum of 15 minutes in the execution of his duties.

Anyone with a genuine complaint should contact the Perry Vale sorting office.

Clearly though some of these trolleys are being left out for longer, presumably to store post prior to delivery. Whether it's a real issue or not I suppose depends on the particular circumstances.

Cllr John Getgood
Penge & Cator
davegr

Post by davegr »

Thanks for your posting cllr.

Unfortunately, I have phoned the Perry Vale office 3 times and each time someone has said the one down the road from me will be removed.

Surprise surprise - its still there.

In addition, you can see this practise all over London. This isn't a one off.

:x