WHAT IF: no1 THE NABOURHOOD CENTRE

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

The spelling of "Naborhood" came up in discussion a while back (and before that too!) see below

http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic. ... abb4c8a3f0
adrian

Post by adrian »

Nice bit of Photoshopping Lee.

I think that it demonstrates that where 20th century architecture is concerned the presumption seems to be in favour of neglect and decay. The council would not get away with behaving this way with older buildings.

It's not a particularly distinguished buiding but does actually have some classically modernist proportions, large windows which I imagine would give pleasant light if they were clean and even a bit of 'artwork' in the form of the dirty brick panel at first floor level. Made spick and span with good paving to the front and it would be quite decent.

I believe this building does have a community function (I have attended a meeting there) and surely would tempt even more people to use it and hire it out if it was refurbished. To demolish such a resource would actually remove one of the few buildings which can serve the community and is totally unsustainable in terms of wasting the embodied energy of what is probably a fundamentally solid piece of building.

As far as what you have shown, I expect it wouldn't cost more than the bill for repainting the exterior of the average terraced house. It's just a question of taking off flaking paint, a bit of render repair and masonry paint. Two men and one weeks work £2000 maybe? Though the roof's probably shot too though.
poppy

Post by poppy »

I am definately in favour of keeping it, even without the makeover. As I have said before a town square, I think, would be a very bad idea. It would just be monopolised by the local drunks, surely? Like the old bench was.

I agree it is good to have a community building so prominent in the high street...
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

Thomas wrote:The spelling of "Naborhood" came up in discussion a while back (and before that too!) see below

http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic. ... abb4c8a3f0
I still think it looks like a spelling mistake or a council trying to sound 'down with the kids'. That was my first impression on seeing it & probably is the same for anyone else coming into the area. Regardless of a good historical reason it just looks silly to me in today's modern context.

A building make-over would be a cheap way of smartening it up though, even just getting rid of those minging curtains would help!
orgone

Post by orgone »

Robin Orton wrote:
BTW - why couldn't they spell 'Neighbourhood' bit correctly when it first became that? Is it an Americanism or could someone genuinely not spell? Or am I just missing some obscure point somewhere?
And how do you pronounce it? I've heard some important person at a meeting say 'Nabberhood', which sounded a bit weird to me.
Coming from the upper half of the other side, i would like to reassure everyone that all the Americans do is drop the "u" in neighbourhood -yeah, they even kept the "neigh".

It needs to be changed asap before someone outs us for rubbish spelling in the Metro again!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I'll do more of these over time and they will also be here:

http://whatifsydenham.wordpress.com/
tulip1

Post by tulip1 »

Amazing what a lick o paint and coloured blinds can achieve - a simple yet tasteful idea for freshening up this downtrodden building! Thanks Lee for this suggested makeover. I certainly favour the white wash look with the splashes of colour. It would look great if only the money and inclination were there from the Council.

We do tend to go on endlessly about preserving older buildings in Sydders which have squiggly bits - but we tend to overlook/neglect our more modern buildings with their clear straight lines, which as Lee has shown, can be freshened up with a re-paint and some TLC. Councillors - please take note.

And I would be in favour of a re-naming - it's embarassing to read "nabourhood" spelt this way!!).

As an aside Lee - any thoughts on how the church can freshen up the wonderful Wesley Hall (look at the state of the upper floors) at the cross section of Kent house road and Syd high street?? And the building next door to it on the right is gorgeous with loads of character and "squiggly bits" but terribly run down and used for flytipping- don't know who it belongs to but the "owners" have obviously forgotten about it. It would make a fab Dance School or Theatre.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Thanks Tulip, I'll have a look at those as they are down my end of the high street, but there are lots of others on my list first!

Check out the blog in due course or feel free to email suggestions in there! I will always post them in here anyway.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Hmmm... Whilst "Naborhood" has origins, surely few would be aware of them, so maybe it is time for a change.

Why have blinds at all, even pretty coloured ones, that block out or at best obscure whatever goes on inside the building? Surely it should be visible as a lively place with people inside? If it isn't lively or has some point and is _not_ just used for the occasional meeting, then why not show that?

I love the idea of the red portaloos outside. ;)

Making it evident what it is and what it's for would be a big step forward in my view. I just thought of it as the disused building next to the post office till I came on here and realised it wasn't.
Psi

Post by Psi »

ALIB wrote:i think the building definitely needs a makeover. Thanks to Lee for the mock-ups. It's hardly a shining beacon of Sydenham, and a damning criticism of it, when you consider it is operated by Lewisham Council.

I think a rebranding/renaming of the centre is in order.

'Neighbourhood Centre' anyone....?

And as for MPs expenses.....
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... claim.html
How about just calling it “the Sydenham Centre” or something similar? The current name does sound like the council trying a bit too hard.

In terms of preference of which sort how would it look if it had one colour in all the windows as the multi-coloured look is a bit much for me.

On your point about the MP’s second homes allowance I guess that story explains why our local MP voted to keep MPs expenses hidden from the public…
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/jim_do ... tingrecord
“strongly against a transparent Parliament”
poppy

Post by poppy »

I thought your Narborhood 'What if' reminded me of something...

This is the award-winning Kaleidscope centre, for children, near Lewisham hospital: http://www.stephenwiltshire.co.uk/image ... m%20Centre

I really like the multi-coloured blinds, in yours Lee. I am sure the council could generate money from that building if they tarted it up. It would be ideal for rental for children's parties for example...
sophie

Post by sophie »

I've never seen anyone going in there ever in my whole 15 years of living in Sydenham!

Love the 3rd option with the coloured blinds.

Have always wondered about the spelling as well
Sowden

Post by Sowden »

Lee,

Fantastic job. I've had a look at your other 'makeover proposals' and love all of them. Has anyone put forward any of the proposals to the town centre manager, the owner of Kente and Musti?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I posted this in the mosaic posting, but what if the nabourhood centre was eco and green like these:

You could even write the name in flowers on the wall!

Or it could have different plats that flower throughout the year saying different things. Mcdonalds created a fantastic ad with salad leaves doing something similar to this AND they are eco-friendly (and they help insulate the building!)
Richard Costa

Post by Richard Costa »

Lee this is truly good stuff. Well done, please continue to send these plans to the powers that be until they take notice!

PS I love it that you even swapped the phone boxes :D
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

And please feel free to send these plans (if you agree with them) to the powers that be.

It's better if a recommendation comes from someone who has read the book rather than the author!
eddy2

Post by eddy2 »

sophie wrote:I've never seen anyone going in there ever in my whole 15 years of living in Sydenham!

Love the 3rd option with the coloured blinds.

Have always wondered about the spelling as well
:shock:

ever been around about 9am outside this center ?
its used by the disabled and most come in the back way.

i like the second option myself, but like many building lewisham have let it slide, not only on the outside but also on the in.
i would hate to see where these poor disabled people would have to go if this centre was to close.

i think a make over would be good not only for people walking past but also the disabled that use that center.
blunt1

Post by blunt1 »

hmm.

well done, leenewham if only everything could be fixed with a bit of basic photoshop work. you really are brilliant. SARC.

sugahill cafe - go on then, you get yourself £3,500 from the council and sort it out. I think you might find it all about more complicated and expensive than just typing it on a keyboard.

leenewham - once again you're so right. It is as easy as googling some photographs and sticking them on a forum. Maybe you should run for cllr. Oh and if you think about actually budgeting your ' green wall' just ask sugahill.
javascript:emoticon(':twisted:')
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I think it would be more helpful if we stuck to trying to solve some of the problems Sydenham has rather than posts like that.

So...
What would you do to make the nabourhood centre better? What's your estimate for how much the work will cost?
blunt1

Post by blunt1 »

as the 'author' with the 'visuals' and the wish to actually 'solve' the problems rather than just discuss them I suggest you contact 3 companies for competitive quotes and then submit them as a full written proposal for the next round of voting shambles.
Oh and include the costs for:
Removing the railings - that are there to stop people running out into the road .
Putting in two reclaimed telephone boxes that know one will use.
Your endless time clicking away with a mouse.