WHAT IF: no1 THE NABOURHOOD CENTRE

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Blunt1, your posts are not helpful.

I suggest you put the computer away before your parents get up......
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

In Response to Blunt1, I am helping Kente with his sign first.

Please feel free to send the visual of the Nabourhood Centre on the forum to suppliers if you want to get quotes. All help is appreciated.

My mouse clicks are free. :-)

Thanks.
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Blunt1, I havent seen a single negative post by sugahill or leenewham. Both seem to be actually seeking to actively contribute to the region. Both have great vision - sugahill contribute to our high street every day by their fantastic shop and the service they provide as well as actively positively contributing on here. I cant see what either have said to make you so annoyed.
Perhaps you see their input as pie in the sky or unrealistic, but please be mindful of knocking their energy and enthusiasm. Personally, I find their contributions really encouraging and inspiring on this forum
parker

Post by parker »

Blunt 1, are you a spin doctor for Lewisham Council?!
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

actively seems to be my word of the day
In my defence I have a headache... :oops:
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Blunt 1 - we're not at home to Mr Grumpy.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Example of a green wall system.

Just thought I'd throw this out there for comment.

If the Nabourhood centre was covered in the green wall system it would cost between £450 to £600 per m2 (I've contacted some companies).

I roughly estimate that the nabourhood centre is between 40-50m2 that needs covering.

So it will cost between £18,000 to £30,000 to use the green wall system on the nabourhood centre.

It reduces heat loss and helps keep buildings cool in the summer.

It reduces noise.

It's VERY low maintenance.

It stops graffiti.

It doesn't need painting.

It encourages butterflies etc.

It doesn't damage the building.

A good example of the same system can be found next to the 02 in Greenwich.

I know I'm going to get some flack from some quarters because of the Mosaic, which I disagree with (but I think Valerie has done an admirable job in bringing it to the stages of reality). I simply think it's worth investigating an alternative. If we think it's worth pursuing this I will.

What do you think? Should I pursue it further?
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Looks great, I'd say go for it. Just wondering does someone have to maintain it - ie water it and trim it or is it self-maintaining?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It is self watering and it doesn't need trimming (imagine trying to flymo that!).

The plants are mostly evergreens, ferns etc.

It is possible to be a bit fancy with it and plant flowers amongst it so at certain times it flowers and makes words but I will have to look into that. It would be great to have an automatic 'arts festival' billboard there though!
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

I agree with the above posts - if they could at least spell 'neighbourhood' correctly that would be a good start!!! I keep wondering if there's something I don't know - like surely whoever put that sign up can't be THAT illiterate!?? So IS there a such word as 'naborhood' or however they've spelt it, or are they just stupid!?? :?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

The name was covered in an earlier thread (I haven't put a link to it but you should be able to search for it). From what I can remember, there was a cinema on the site, and at one point it (or the chain of cinemas) was called Naborhood. But you're right - it is a bit silly!
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

poppy wrote:I thought your Narborhood 'What if' reminded me of something...

This is the award-winning Kaleidscope centre, for children, near Lewisham hospital: http://www.stephenwiltshire.co.uk/image ... m%20Centre

I really like the multi-coloured blinds, in yours Lee. I am sure the council could generate money from that building if they tarted it up. It would be ideal for rental for children's parties for example...
I've come to this post quite late but poppy is indeed correct. Great work leenewham. Not only does it bring the Naborhood in line with the Kaleidoscope centre but also hints at the Laban Dance Centre in Deptford (just off Creek Road). It's best seen at night but hopefully some will see my point about the multi-coloured element...

http://www.laban.org/building.phtml
poppy

Post by poppy »

I think you may have mentioned this before Lee, but wouldn't it be great as a library/community centre? It would be a central location, so might bring more people to the high street during the day, who might then be encouraged to shop here.

It's current activities could move to the Sydenham library site, maybe.

I rarely use it because I find it a long, bleak walk, to be honest, and there is nothing I can do on the way there or back etc...
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Sorry. Thought walking was 'doing something'??

Honestly...Some people...[sigh]

What do you want to do? Have a whistle? No pleasing some of us [double sigh...]
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Currently Poppy I agree with you. Lower Sydenham is a pretty grim place to walk to. The shops near Garam Masala loop pretty tired at best, which is a shame. It's also a shame that the Sydenham road improvements don't reach down this far as it's probably the tattiest part of the high street.

These factors probably contributed to the downfall of the Butchers opposite Home Park.

Hopefully the improvements to home park may make Lower Sydenham a better place to visit.

There is a pitch going in to add outdoor seating for an sort of 'outdoor classroom' for the pack to bring the library partly into the park.

There will also be an outdoor gym and a community garden where the old much pit used to be.

Hopefully next year we may have some more film shows like the ones that were held in Peckham Rye this year.

In addition to these improvements, there are some other reasons to venture past the Dolphin such as The Old Bath House has an incredible array of old fireplaces, doors, radiators etc (aside from being a nice building and friendly owner). Oh, and I live there too (although that may put some people off!).
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

The next Sydenham Assembly meeting on the 3rd December will discuss the Naborhood Centre, its future use and a possible change of name (should people decide that the name should be changed).

Personally, I'd favour something "all encompassing" direct and simple like "The Sydenham Centre" but I know that there are people who are desperate to hold onto the existing title.

Agree with Poppy that it would be ideal if a more "public" use could be found for the building such as the local library - then the building could develop more public amenity uses such as film clubs, meeting rooms etc just like FH Library.

The Assembly meeting will also discuss a scheme (currently raising money locally) which next year would refurbish the front of the building (repaint, fix windows, repair entrance cover etc).
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

I agree with Leenewham. The shops near Garam Masala have looped pretty tired lately, I'd even go so far as to say they are quite knackered. Shame. Though Garam Masala is a pretty good curry house.
poppy

Post by poppy »

I really cannot be bothered to respond to your reply to my post Trawlerman, I'm assuming you have not been following the other threads about grouping things together!

And sorry Lee, I know you live down that way. Let's hope if the centre of Sydenham gets a revamp it will have a knock-on affect on the lower part which desperately needs some TLC too.

What is happening to that group of houses which have started to get boarded up, I wonder? On one side there is Philip Neri Church which looks very well looked after, with nice grounds (although behind a high wall, so not very visible) and the other side of the road looks like a different world!
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Just a little levity, Poppy.

I'm not bothered if you're not.

I think the idea of 'grouping things together' is fine. It has merit.

Lets encourage some nice groupings at the Lower Sydenham end, eh?
Why have all the nice stuff at the other end?
Any others in favour?
shell1

Post by shell1 »

I'm in complete agreement with Trawlerman and Lee. This end (lower sydenham) needs TLC so that the benefits of regen funds are felt by all residents of Sydenham rather than those further up the high street.

I know Lee and friends have been heavily involved in securing funds for improvements to Home Park - so WELL DONE and BIG THANKS to Lee and Anthony for all your efforts and the support from SNT, local residents who attend the meetings, Lewisham Parks, Glendales and the AP. :D