kente/old chemists

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
kente

kente/old chemists

Post by kente »

Information regarding the old chemists shop frontage.
The main reason we choose the shop was because we liked the old frontage so much and wanted to retain it as it was. Unfortunately once the front display unit was removed it became apparent that this had been supporting the shop front which over years of neglect had dry rot in the wood frame and metal fatigue in the leaded glass structure. The weakness of the structure was so evident that the whole window started to slowly bow outwards and was deemed dangerous. We were really upset that we couldn't retain the frontage but we haven't thrown away the leaded glass sign, this is been carefully stored at the shop.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

excellent post Kente. Thanks for clarrifying the situation. I walked the length of Sydenham Road last week to locate the Kente Coffee shop.

It's on Sydenham Road almost opposite the Silverdale junction, and it looks a very welcome addition to the High Street.
Last edited by ALIB on 31 May 2009 01:42, edited 1 time in total.
scott.l.hamilton

Post by scott.l.hamilton »

Thank you for the taking the time to explain the situation! Great Coffee, friendly service and spacious open areas.

You have my business...
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Thankyou for posting this.

It's made my day.

What time to you open tomorrow?
kente

shop hours

Post by kente »

We are open at 9.30 tommorrow. Usual shop hours are:-
Mon to Sat 7.30am till 6.00pm
Sundays 9.00am till 6.00pm
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Kente - what is the origin of that name? Why has the cafe been given that name?

Just interested...
kente

Post by kente »

Kente is a traditional woven patterned cloth from Ghana , we have a piece on display in the shop
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Excellent coffee shop. Will certainly go again and tell friends.
Unlike Blue Mountain ( who have music for the benefit of the staff ) in Kente music much quieter and more for a more mature audience.
sean

Post by sean »

Today myself and a friend made the journey to this new food outlet. I thought the shop front could have been better designed to take into account the previous shop front.

Inside we were given a tour and take to the outdoor section. A decking area with tables and chairs. We arrive mid-afternoon and the area was still feeling warm.

We ordered a tea, coffee and tuna sandwiches. The sandwiches were full to bursting and everything tasted very fresh. The price was also very welcome being just below £5.

Very friendly staff and service. I couldn't see where the toilets were but I'm guessing these could be downstairs. The deco was bold, clean with a contemporary Victorian twist.

It's about time that Sydenham got a Blue Mountain style service but with Chef Delight prices. It's arrived - check it out.
sean

Post by sean »

Here are some pictures I took of the new business.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanjamesc ... 973608089/
Belle

Post by Belle »

I had a lovely coffee there this morning and sat in the decked area. I was made to feel very welcome. Will certainly be paying it another visit. A vey welcome addition to the high street. There is a toilet downstairs! :D
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

id like to see some greenery (pots etc) in the decked area. Its a great space but a bit sterile with just brick and wood. Hope they soften it up a bit as in the summer its the only cafe with an outdoor bit at the back they should really capitialise on that..

Best of luck to Kente cafe though..!
Belle

Post by Belle »

You're right jonekt, some sort of greenery or flowers would make all the difference. Perhaps something in zinc containers would be a nice contrast (like the Italian restaurant) to break up the brickwork and wood.
sean

Post by sean »

They informed me they will be putting more flowers outside but non-pollen creating one.
girl_canuck

Post by girl_canuck »

I'm in here at the moment - decided to check out the outdoor area out back and have a lovely cup of tea. It's so nice here! Good prices and friendly. The garden is almost as nice as the Dolphin's garden (yes, needs a bit more greenery), but I'm enjoying not paying Dolphin prices :)

(and it's nice being in a riff-raff free zone, after just getting off a bus where some 'youths' were throwing cake at people!)
poppy

Post by poppy »

Hi Kente

I am really pleased to read so many good reports about your new business!

I just thought I would make a suggestion, if you don't mind. Do you think you could put some potted trees/shrubs along the lines of Blue Mountain outside the front entrance? I just think it would make the business look more inviting....

Thanks
P
kente

Post by kente »

We have lots to still do plants, new sign(any designs welcome) etc but due to the unforseen extra expense of shop frontage a few things have been put on hold.
parker

Post by parker »

Kente, that is totally fair enough, what you have currently achieved is admirable and courteous enough regarding the shop front and not smashing the old one, also considering all the risks involved in opening a new business but im sure opening in Sydenham will pay off in the very near future. Also love your USP with the decked garden, it looks wonderful. However Lee's your man when it comes to designing the shop sign, its actually nice and cooperable of yourselves for the sign to be changed if you dont mind me saying :oops:
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hi Kente, I sent you a PM along these lines last weekend, I don't know if you got it.

I popped in last Sunday and I liked it. Your milkshakes are nice, the seating area out the back is great and so are the prices. Nice Paninis too.

I thought I'd write here just to see what people think as a bit of market research.

Inside the shop you get a totally different feel to the outside. The wooden stained floorboards, simple and tasteful decor, 1950' style lights and old travel posters give a bit of a timeless feel. There is a hint of the 'grand tour' from the old travel posters and seats. I think these are themes that would be good to hint at in your sign without making your business look like it's stuck in a different decade.

Of course if I have got the above all wrong, then don't read the next bit!

I have prepared a 'what if' on this already along these lines I'd like to show you. If you like I can post it in here to see what others think (they are potential customers and it's a bit of free market research) or I can show you first. It's your call.

If you like it, then perhaps, at some point you can change your sign. If so, you owe me and my wife a large cappuccino!
kente

Post by kente »

Posting a 'What if ' sounds fine. look forward to seeing it Thanx