SPEED HUMPS

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
shorty

SPEED HUMPS

Post by shorty »

With the recent (welcome) addition of speed humps along Mayow Road, I was wondering if anyone has any idea whether this is part of a wider plan which will see further implementation in other residential roads?

I for one would like to see these introduced throughout 'The Thorpes', as both Queensthorpe and Bishopsthorpe in particular resemble race circuits at times!
eddy2

Post by eddy2 »

i would like to see speed humps put from one end of sedgehill road to the other, we have just got our first one right by the school.
what little use it is, still don't stop people belting up and down around school time and late at night.
i long to see this road covered in speed humps and made one way only.
that would cut down the amount of angry drivers at school time stuck swearing at each other.
davegr

Post by davegr »

Totally disagree guys.

Humps increase noise levels, cause drivers to actually speed up between humps, raise pollution and cause destructive shockwaves for nearbye properties.

Worst invention ever....and they don't work
shorty

Post by shorty »

davegr wrote:Totally disagree guys.

Humps increase noise levels, cause drivers to actually speed up between humps, raise pollution and cause destructive shockwaves for nearbye properties.

Worst invention ever....and they don't work
I appreciate what you are saying Dave, however, as a parent with 2 children under 4, my main concern is with slowing down the traffic. Whilst I can see that drivers do tend to speed up between humps, as long as they are positioned fairly frequently along a stretch of road, this should prevent a car building up excessive speed along the whole road as is currently the case. I estimate that some cars can reach 40 - 50 mph at times, but with the introduction of speed humps this problem should hopefully be mitigated.
davegr

Post by davegr »

Understand what you're saying.

There must be something better than the dreaded humps.

They are particularly awful if one is outside your house. You feel every car that goes over the hump.
dickp

Post by dickp »

I'd rather have a speed camera than a speed hump. Then don't work, they're noisy, and they mess up with the emergency service response times.

One day, someone is going to sue the government for damage to their vehicle caused by speed humps - and win big.
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

We are all, I hope, for safety. Speed humps do not make roads safe for the most vulnerable users - on two wheels.

Having nearly be brought off by several, having to swerve too close to cars/centre of road to go through the 'gaps' (where they exist) and having to avoid cars doing the same. I try and avoid 'humped' roads. It is also, sadly, an incentive to ride on the pavement which many people here don't like.

When approaching humps in a car I'm concentrating on lining up the wheels with the gaps (my choice of a wide wheelbase car in London was influenced by just this) and not on pedestrians who just might run out into the road. So humps make me more dangerous to you shorty!

Overall does it save lives? There is an intense debate about that. Google around and make up your own mind. I can't. What decides it for me is its impact on the environment. It increases pollution & co2 emmisions, it hinders the emergency services, it put ambulance passengers at risk and so on.

It is a bad way to attack the core problem of excess speed in an urban environment. Concentrate on the problem and please don't assume a flawed solution is the best just because it is quick, easy and cheap for the council.

PP
maestro

Post by maestro »

As mentioned, the constant speeding up and slowing down of vehicles which traverse roads where there are humps, must have a massive increase in CO2 and pollutants to the air we all have to breathe.

There is also a safety issue concerning tyre wear, particularly with those square shaped humps that occupy each lane on many local roads. To avoid the jolt as they drive over them, most motorists will straddle the hump so that only the inside edges of the tyres impact with the hump. This results in excessive wear on the inside edges of the tyres, which is difficult to spot. Also these particular humps put immense strain on the suspension system. Your tyre or suspension can then suddenly fail at motorway speeds, with the obvious consequences of that happening.

Edit:- just found an article on this very subject, linked here...........

http://www.sadlybroke.com/2009/04/27/sp ... spensions/
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

Although I am not a great fan of inappropriate speed limits I would support the imposition of a 20mph limit on all urban residential roads which were not designated as thoroughfares. This would have to be enforced efficiently, but the benefits would be very real, and would help return the streets to people rather than motor vehicles.

Regards
Chris
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Great idea if it could be enforced. Infact how many of these local car journies need to be made at all?
How about having a local Congestion Charge.

Also noted roads loke Newlands Park , Mayow Rd and Parish Lane which are bus routes have major problems with parked cars. Why not make all Bus Routes Red Routes
poppy

Post by poppy »

There certainly are alternatives to speed humps. It just seems Lewisham Council is not considering them.

Bromley council, which covers Beckenham, seem to favour other methods, such as narrowing roads at certain points with large crossing islands or small islands added to the edges of roads to make cars effectively have to 'snake' through..

The junction of Lennard Road and Kings Hall Road, for example, has a layout which changes priority for cars coming in different directions, which could be used at certain junctions. Roads in that area have had systems like this introduced recently. As well as small roundabouts at busy junctions.

These seem a far better alternative to the dreaded humps.

Newlands Park Road is incredibly dangerous for pedestrians. There are no crossing islands north of Penge East Station. They are necessary near the bus stops near the bottom of Tannsfeld Road (near the parade of shops) certainly and, I would say near the junction of Tredown road, at least. It might even slow the traffic on this road which makes emerging from minor roads pretty tricky in cars because of poor visibility because of all the parked cars!
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

the answer is obvious, if not cheap.

They should make inhibitors linked to sat navs that are built into car engines making it impossible for the vehicle to go over the speed limit in any given area compulsory in all cars as part of the MOT scheme.

the technology exists....I see no good reason not to enforce it.
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

bensonby wrote:the answer is obvious, if not cheap.

They should make inhibitors linked to sat navs that are built into car engines making it impossible for the vehicle to go over the speed limit in any given area compulsory in all cars as part of the MOT scheme.

the technology exists....I see no good reason not to enforce it.

revenue..?
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

huh?
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

glib quip, probably spectacularly illinformed on my part, suggesting that the revenue from catching people speeding would be forgone if such measures were implemented.
(Truthfully know Jack about the subject although I do recall reading something about said technology but alas did not retain a single shred of info!)
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

MiniFox wrote:glib quip, probably spectacularly illinformed on my part, suggesting that the revenue from catching people speeding would be forgone if such measures were implemented.
(Truthfully know Jack about the subject although I do recall reading something about said technology but alas did not retain a single shred of info!)
ah, I see. I'd be interested to know how much money is actually "raised" from fines. As in, after administrative costs and so on how much money is left over and where it goes (back to central gvmt or to the council). I have no idea...
apcmoomin

Post by apcmoomin »

I walk up and down this road every morning and every evening and have noticed that the speed humps are not working. Many of the cars do not slow down. The only vehicles this would appear to have to slow down are the small, narrower types - otherwise most other vehicles can easily drive over these without the humps affecting their speed. What a waste of our money. Don't the council carry out research beforehand on whether these initiatives are going to be affective?? Grrrrrrrrr